1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No they weren't?

They had two chances to win 1 game with one of the games at home.

Nook, red and PeteChilcutBoss like this.
  2. justtxyank

You need to come to grips with this. OBrien's job isn't in jeopardy and never was.

I couldn't stop laughing at 610 saying he was on the hot seat when they fired Gaine. Total lack of understanding of what's going on inside that building.

Nook likes this.
  3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

just crazy- how this guy really has the owners trust...

4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea they were..there is twitter footage.. i think patdstat might have it but i posted it also a few days ago...ridiculous

Houstunna likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The "semi-championship".........

6. justtxyank

I meant to say semi-finals round. It's still better.

If it's "championship or mediocre" then sure the Texans and the Rockets are the same and so are most other teams. I don't agree with that.

7. Hey Now!

Right. I corrected that in a later post. So, tell me: how did they do in that home game?... Were any records set, or?.....

8. Hey Now!

Haha... Fair enough.

I certainly don't subscribe to "championship or bust" thinking - not in any sport.

There's no way to fairly compare teams across sports - it's all conjecture and opinion, what not. But generally? What is said about the Texans - specifically the BO'B era - I think is (mostly) true about the Rockets: some incredible individual accomplishments and a lot of regular season success that almost never translates in the postseason.

Fair?

From there, if you want to argue the Rockets' brand of that is better than the Texans'... OK. But I'm at a loss to see a big difference between the two.

9. justtxyank

I just don't see how you can say the Rockets almost never translate to the playoffs. And I certainly don't see how you can say that have similar playoff track records.

The Texans regularly look like they don't belong on the field with their opponent in the playoffs recently. The Rockets have gotten to the semi-finals twice. The Texans haven't come close to that.

Nook likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A record number of terrible calls by officials which non-Rockets fans (the commentators) mentioned during the broadcast. A four-point play was waved off which would've stopped the streak too.

Speaking of setting records, the Texans own the 1) only 30-0 playoff game by a home team and 2) the only 20-point flip in the postseason. They came narrowly close to adding another record-breaking shutout before scoring a meaningless late TD vs the Colts.
    Saying the Rockets division has been better than the AFCS overall this past decade is not conjecture or opinion. Saying the Rockets play in the tougher conference is not conjecture or opinion.

The Texans mostly "luck" into the playoffs, then their postseason results reflect the luck. It's incredible they've had multiple seasons with a negative point-diff and still make the playoffs. No wonder they're usually embarrassed thoroughly.

11. justtxyank

The Texans basically sneak into the playoffs because their division sucks record wise most (not all) years. They normally get in as one of the lower seeds and they normally lose badly early.

They are basically the equivalent of an Eastern Conference division champ. Advanced stats are normally really negative on them, traditional stats are normally negative on them and they've been wrecked by good teams in the playoffs.

There just isn't a comparison between the Texans and the Rockets on any objective level.

Nook and juanm34 like this.
  12. Hey Now!

Because, since 2002 (which was 17 years ago), they've either missed the playoffs or failed to get out of the first round 12 times... And yes, 2002 is random - I picked it because it was the year the Texans came into existence

In the 24 years since their championship in '95, the Rockets have failed to make the playoffs/get out of the first round 17 times. They made the WCF three times.

And if the counter to that is pre-Harden shouldn't count (which is fair) - they have more first round exits (3) than conference finals appearances (2) during Harden's tenure.

I think you mean conference finals? I mean... the Texans have gotten "close" - they've been to the second round of the playoffs four times since 2011. Like I said... I'll concede the Rocket's mediocrity is... better than the Texans' mediocrity, I guess?... But it's still... mostly mediocre.[/QUOTE]

13. justtxyank

[/QUOTE]

I don't think a comparison dating back to 2002 is really fair since neither franchise has the same regime in place, but fine.

Since 2002:
    Rockets have missed the playoffs 6 times
    Texans have missed the playoffs 12 times

Rockets have finished under .500 1 time
    Texans have finished under .500 8 times

Rockets have advanced in the playoffs 5 times
    Texans have advanced in the playoffs 3 times

Rockets have failed to win 2 games in a playoff series 2 times
    Texans have been blown out in a playoff game 5 times

These just aren't the same. This is silly.

The Rockets aren't the best team in the NBA, but, under Morey's regime they've basically been a top 5 franchise that's just falling short of title dreams. The Texans are not that.

Nook, Gray_Jay and Houstunna like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Poor Rockets... so not mediocre if it wasn't for those darn officials!

... You do realize the Rockets once lost a game 7 by 40 points, right? Too long ago? OK! Their '16 season ended with B2B losses of 33 and 27 points and their '17 season ended with a 39-point loss. With a chance to clinch the WC in '18, they lost by 29.

I mean..... let's have some perspective here.....

When it comes to the Texans, regular season accomplishments are routinely dismissed - so why should anyone care about the Rockets' regular season accomplishments?...

They've routinely disappointed in the playoffs - 24 years, and counting... I'm at a loss how you could spin that any other way?...

15. Hey Now!

You know what this is starting to feel like? BO'B yelling, YOU SUCK, TOO! to his heckler...

I'm at a total loss how any one could look at the Rockets from any time period, post '95, and conclude they've been anything but an annual underachiever and disappointment. Did the Rockets have more success than an expansion football team for several years? Sure! Congrats, I guess?... But when you're clutching for dear life to BUT INJURY! (or, I guess, OFFICIALS!) as your crowning achievement over the past 25 years... I'd maybe think twice about ascending to the higher ground...

16. justtxyank

I'm at a total loss how any one could look at the Rockets the last 10 years and say they are an annual underachiever. A disappointment in that they haven't won a title? Sure. But not an annual disappointment beyond the lack of a title.

Forgot the expansion years. You brought those into the conversation.

Over just the last 10 years the Rockets are one of the top teams in the NBA. The Texans are not a top team in the NFL.

Nook and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Okay so the Rockets are the better losers or do the Texans suck more at losing? ;) Both have been collecting Division Champs titles for a while now...and back to Fire RAC and Bo'B- oh please hear my prayers

#5237 Blatz, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

In DVOA, the Texans have ranked as follows on offense:

2014: 21st
    2015: 24th
    2016: 30th
    2017: 24th
    2018: 21st
    2019: 17th

Last two years with Watson as well

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

In the end for fans who believe that anything less than a championship is trash, then pretty much Houston has been a trash city except for the 2 Rockets years. Even the 2017 Astros is now maybe half trash or something.

If you believe that competing to win is important, then the Rockets and the Astros have at least tried and succeeded at that. The Texans never, ever in the entirety of their existence went into the postseason with even a remote chance of winning. The closest was the Schaub injury year. The 2nd closest was for 1 quarter last weekend. That's the entire relevance of the 20 years of the Texans.

Nook likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans apologists would consider the Rockets mediocre. The denial makes them feel better.

Unbiased people who aren't Rockets fans thought something fishy about the officiating. You have no case here.

Yeah, Game SEVEN.

The Rockets overachieved that series -- something the Texans could use more of.

The Texans have enjoyed a 2-win, 4-win, and a 6-win season all this past decade.

There's great reason why Texans regular season accomplishments have been dismissed. I'm not gonna bother telling you again.