1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. raining threes

Broke up an aging OL. Owner wanted DB gone.

Traded away picks to protect his franchise QB, Wise investment because without your franchise QB you have nothing.

Playing against playoff caliber defenses usually results in less scoring. Ravens/Colts defenses had Watson confused. Luckily against the Colts dropped the Ints and didn't recover the fumble or the Texans would've lost. Difference between the two games is the Ravens got the turnovers and the Colts didn't.

2. raining threes

Those coaches didn't have to work with the ineptness that was Rick Smith for three years.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So u how long r u giving this coach until he reach at least conference champ/superbowl?

4. raining threes

I like the current OL they just need to get healthy and gain some experience. I would fire Devlin though.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There as an argument about each coach. Belichick for instance took over a recent super bowl team in his start

But lets just stick with why the Texans stick with O'Brien. He was left no quarterback. He won without one or at least nine games. Show me the guys who won 9 games with Fitzpatrick or makes playoffs with Hoyers. Osweiler is on him but he still won the division

And he cleaned that mistake with Watson. Look at my post about the games before Watson got hurt? The team is progressing. The O line was a bigger problem than thought but complainers complain about the Tunsil trade

6. raining threes

The OT's are playing hurt and Devlin isn't very good at his job.

7. raining threes

One more year. This is the year Watson needs to gain experience. Watson needs to get better but so far it looks like he's regressed when they play good defenses. Look at the last two weeks as examples.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Bro, u got to stop moving the goal post to defend BoB. Who he picked to b qb is on him and the gm, u can't blame that on anyone else.

Belichick inherited a "superbowl team", he went 5-11 his first year? he won 3 superbowls in his first five years w/ the patriots. (that takes some skills, don't u agree?)

U can't deny the undisputed facts that out of the 10 coaches with a tenure of six or more years with a team, 8 of them have made it to the conference championship or super bowl.

3 coaches that has even less tenure than BoB, made it further than BoB.

Fact stands: BoB might have a winning record that u love so much, but he hasn't went anywhere in playoffs compared to the other long tenure coaches. (w/ the exception being Garrett, who i probably would have fired by now also).

#4548 DatRocketFan, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I can see Watson regressing, but how much of a role does BoB plays in this regression? false starts, holding, wasteful plays, timeouts b/c team aren't on same page, wrong route runners makes life harder for Watson.

Like sure I can see the Watson fumble/int, but do u truly believe that BoB is improving when u see the same sht every single game? I guess u can blame the oline coach for the penalties but even then, BoB is hc and he has some responsibilities.

10. raining threes

Well, he's benched Coutee for poor route running and not being in the right places.

I d blame BOB for not firing Devlin. Should've been fired two years ago. IMHO

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im not moving goal posts. He didn't have a qb. They got one after a playoff season and he looked great immediately and is back on track.

The he didn't get one immediately criticism represnts stupidity of criticism as if franchise qbs grow on trees. Reich started with Luck
    But nothing about O'Brien winning division with Hoyer

Edit: then you hype Reich for winning with Brisset

#4551 pgabriel, Nov 24, 2019
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The funniest argument is "we should keep OBrien because Watson has regressed"

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When Kubiak beat Baltimore in the playoffs, the Texans were the better team
    That hasn't happened with O'Brien.

The team wasnt that good last season. They weren't overly matched by Indy last season but the Texans did clean up on a bad schedule

O'Brien was gonna roll with Miller but you have to give him credit for Hyde. As much as people b**** about the Clowney trade who put them in a bad situation holding out just to hold out the gm decisions are looking good.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because OBrien has made terrible personnel decisions and doesn't develop players well

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Once more u are using excuses to defend y BoB have yet to make it to Conference championship much less superbowl.
    It honestly doesn't change the fact that he ran with those qbs his first few years, why would i b praising the man for winning a division title with subpar qbs when he proceeds to get outclassed in playoffs?

It's like someone asks u to go make a sandwich and u decided to make bread from scratch. U want praise for making life difficult for yourself?

I didn't hype reich for winning with brisset, i was using that man as an example of how there's coaches out there that can basically do the same thing as BoB, maybe even better. which is why we shouldn't b afraid of firing a coach who is subpar/average.

Scarface, the leader of BoB defender club didn't want to fire BoB b/c he's afraid that there's no one like him or better out there that can guarantee similar results. I used the Colt's HC as an example of how a franchise took a leap of faith on an unknown coach and got someone that basically doing the same thing as BoB, (better? i think so)

did u not see the rise of colts last year? 1-5 start -> 10-6. sounds familiar? Beating us in playoffs, ring any bell?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Watson had a bad game against Baltimore. Stop
    Your standard is made by you. I don't have to make an excuse

My argument is they are on the right path. I respond to your standard because its your argument

Key word is "your"

They lead division after a tough schedule

raining threes likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So how many more years do u give with BoB? and what would it take for him to b fired in your eyes, since he's seem to b on the "right path".

One can say the Ravens game, Watson and BoB had a sht showing and it was a fluke, lets hope so vs the patriots next week.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans have never beaten the ravens in the playoffs.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't want to talk playoffs till playoff time. Anything can happen.

Eliminate games showing up not ready.

The only coach it seems to never show up not ready is Belichick. Everyone has clunkers.

#4559 pgabriel, Nov 24, 2019
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry they beat Cincinnati. I forgot they beat the Raiders

I honestly cant remember the other Cincy game. Wow thats scary personally