1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I got your back @Buck Turgidson this team always seems to finish the season off strong. Especially the defense. If we get more reps in preseason and come out prepared like we should, this team would be a top two team in the AFC. This team should be easily 7-1.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

And whose ******* fault is that?

I just hope they spend the cash to fix it this offseason.

And yes, I've given him credit for the team's play these last few weeks.

tierre_brown likes this.
  3. raining threes

You want change? You got change Smith is out and Gaine is in.

Hopefully Gaine is better at roster building than Smith was. Signs are promising, the ST's got fixed in year one and the overall depth on the roster is much better. Hopefully next year the OL and CB depth can be fixed.

4. raining threes

The OL talent wasn't there to be had in FA. They hoped to fix it by signing a bunch of 2nd tier FA's with predictably mixed results. The interior OL has actually improved alot since the season started. The OT's have also but their improvement has been limited due to their talent level. Although Lamm is much better than I ever thought he would become. He's still below avg. Davenport flat out sucks and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

I do agree with you about not being ready for the start of the season and it's one of my two biggest gripes with BOB. You would think he would use guys in the preseason like Belichick does so they will be ready for the start of the season. So far that hasn't happened in the BOB reign.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Fair enough, but the year before that...and the year before that...? Sorry, I'm a big fan of the OL/DL being a pretty damn important part of a functional football team.

Totally agree. This is the main reason I've been on the "wait until next year", "fix it in the offseason" train, but I do enjoy watching good football (the Miami game was shockingly great), we'll see what we get today.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

Smith was in charge is the answer, that and I dont think Devlin is all that great at his job, the Ol is the 2nd most important part of the team behind QB. IMHO A good OL can make avg RB's look good, keep your defense off of the field and most importantly keep your franchise QB healthy.

Hopefully they can find the LT of the future in the next draft, even if they have to trade up to get him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But wasnt Solder out there....?

8. Buck Turgidson

I grew up with Matthews/Munchak/Steinkuhler (3 straight top-10 picks I believe, loved it), so I do fondly remember what a good OL looks like, guess I got spoiled early.

re: Smith...Brooks/Jones/Brown would look pretty good on our OL right about now.

raining threes, Shark44 and Nimo like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fleming, Hubbard, Waddle, Smith.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Davenport was drafted as a project because we all thought Duane Brown was still here for one or two more years. Duane's departure hurt really bad. They better get some good talent from the extra 2nd they got for him.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thanks, I was just teasing raining threes. Was well aware of the not so great OL fa class of 18.

Nimo likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Solder has actually been very bad this year.

Not sure how the other guys have been.

We have three top 60 picks (most likely) to hopefully find a left tackle. Maybe a right tackle, too.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m very optimistic we will. With the way Gaine drafted the third round this past year. We could probably have 4 good early picks.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It could be worse. We could have Vance Joseph. Man, he’s a terrible terrible coach.

Attempt a 62 yd fg, well beyond your kicker’s ranger, with 23 seconds still in the clock? Even BO’B thought that was dumb.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Fire this guy. Watching a first down wasted for a run play up the middle every single fking time is stupid as fk.

17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This game is showing why a lot of the fanbase just doesn't have much faith in this guy. Has been extremely predictable as the game has gone on.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His strategy is to say “I’ll keep calling the play and sooner or later these guys will freaking execute it!!! Cmon guys!!”

Then he’s flabbergasted when it doesn’t work.

My 8!year old couldn’t figure it out.

We were cheering when they got 1-2 yards... as that was at least better than the 2 yard loss.

Can someone smarter than me explain why they rarely run to the outside?

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not pretty, but it's another small step in the right direction on BOB's long journey out of the doghouse.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If my ciphering is correct, the Texans called running plays on 17 first downs and gained a total of 35 yards on those plays. Those include 2 that were called back due to Houston penalties. Of those runs, only three resulted in a gain of 4 or more yards (2 additional for 4+ were on the penalty plays). They called 11 pass plays and gained 122 yards on those plays. They include a couple of scrambles by Watson.