1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally, the Truth about Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TC777JLIN168, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a good article, but nothing we haven't been hearing about here for the past 6 weeks.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Hahaha I hate Westbrook but he's way better than Lin and is def worth the Max and clearly worth what Lin got paid. Jermey is a good player but he won't ever be the same type of player as Russ. Lets get real here ur comparing basically a rookie to a all nba player. Now I think Lin can become a top flight player too but he's a more traditional pg as he likes to get his teammates easy shots yet can still attack the rim also.

3. itachen

itachen Member

I don't know where to post this article, since I have not new posting privilege yet, but this is as good as any.

Interesting article by JLinfan#1 from Jeremylin.net:
    http://www.vikingsportsmag.com/uncategorized/2012/04/20/roots-of-resilience-jeremy-lins-past-foreshadows-his-future/

TL;DR In HS, Jeremy Lin came off as a bit of a stubborn player. Although athletic, he didn't give 100% effort during practices, until a season ending injury changed it all..

1 person likes this.
  4. SPBR

SPBR Member

It seems that while there are LOHs and LOFTs (LOF Trolls) in NY media, there are many who are just LFs. Here's a great example of how Mike Vaccaro of NYPost got a little caught up while covering Linsanity.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/something_for_everyone_zz5lRiX2OsxMGOBhhS4XBJ/1

5. Roxs

Roxs Member

What is it with the polarizing figure that is Jeremy Lin? I mean, it's not he himself does anything to warrant people hating him. He has irrational fans for sure, but so does every other public figure. You don't hate those other celebrities for their fans.

Anyway, some perspective. Rookie year stats of supposed "Elite" players:

A: 2668 MP, 40% FG%, 15.3 PTS, 5.3 AST, 4.9 TRB, 1.3 STL, 3.3 TOV
    B: 2307 MP, 42% FG, 10.8 PTS, 4.5 AST, 2.4 TRB, 0.8 STL, 1.8 TOV
    C: 1664 MP, 42% FG, 9.1 PTS, 3.4 AST, 2.1 TRB, 0.8 STL, 1.9 TOV
    D: 1853 MP, 43% FG, 15.1 PTS, 6.9 AST, 3.8 TRB, 1.9 STL, 3.3 TOV
    E: 2808 MP, 43% FG, 16.1 PTS, 7.8 AST, 5.1 TRB, 2.2 STL, 2.3 TOV
    F: 1831 MP, 42% FG, 6.4 PTS, 3.8 AST, 3.7 TRB, 1.6 STL, 1.9 TOV
    G: 3192 MP, 43% FG, 13.8 PTS, 7.3 AST, 3.4 TRB, 2.1 STL, 2.8 TOV
    H: 2126 MP, 47% FG, 16.2 PTS, 4.5 AST, 4.0 TRB, 1.4 STL, 3.2 TOV
    I: 1738 MP, 40% FG, 15.6 PTS, 2.8 AST, 5.1 TRB, 1.7 STL, 2.2 TOV

Guess which one belongs to Jeremy Lin. Every single other player in that list are elite or have had elite years.

I hope you can see that by stripping away, names, reputation, age, race, religion, fan base, teams, etc that they all look pretty much the same.

My point is this, Jeremy Lin is a rookie yet everybody has an opinion of what he will be or won't be in a few years. It is just as premature to say that he WON'T be Steve Nash as it to say the he WILL be Steve Nash.

Also, I'm tired of seeing the $8.5M salary argument used against Jeremy and his performance. How many other rookies (or star NBA players for that matter) come with a multi-million marketing package? Don't forget the fact that he wasn't technically a free agent as the Knicks had the right to match any offer.

Man, I swear I'm not a Lin fan, but his haters have the most irrational arguments.

6. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Is it true that westbrook has a good midrange jumper??

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The same people who hate on Lin for no objective reason are the same ones who proudly told every other kid in 3rd grade what a virgin is and when he lost his. It baffles my mind why there's so much hate on him, it's like he's the Tebow of the NBA. In every underdog story, there's always someone who needs to crap on it so he can say "I told you so" when the underdog goes through a trying time. These kind of people can't enjoy a simple Disney movie like "The Little Mermaid" without proclaiming that Ursula the sea-witch is just so much cooler than Triton. Then when they get older, they grow ugly neck beards and wear stupid hats while sipping their $7 dollar Starbucks coffee and b****ing and whining about capitalistic corporations and the idiot consumers who patronize them.

3 people like this.
  8. Peaceful Elbow

It's alright. I think Westbrook is vastly overrated though. I have Parker, CP3, Rondo over him.

9. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Looks like this article is written by someone who actually watched Lin play, as opposed to 90% of Houston.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

hahha ny media upset that Felton is out a month cause his pinky hurts

11. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Good reads.

12. Pubsaint

Pubsaint Member

Speaking of a mid-range jumper, if Jeremy can shoot a consistent mid range jumper, his stats is gonna be like 20 points and 10 assists per game.

His style just looks like attacking point guards like Phoenix's former guard Kevin Johnson. During Linsanity period Lin penetrates as often as KJ, and he got nearly 20 points and 10 assists so easily.

Toney Parker also said Lin needs the jumper so people have to guard him closely which allow him to penetrate more often.

Wish Lin can keep practicing his mid-range jumper to perfection during off-season.

13. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I like Lin but he does have to improve his handles and jumpshot....IMO most importantly his handles. He dribbles soft and he is definitely right hand dominant, so when the opposing player plays him tight he typically passes the ball off. If he can develop his handles and a crossover like Iverson, he would be virtually unguardable with his quick first step. Players who dribble like Lin are easier to guard. It's his first step that sometimes give guards trouble. Add mad handles to that, he will be deadly one day.

14. Viola

Viola Member

TOV% = 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV)

Jeremy Lin shot much less than other PGs ...

for example:

Irving's TOV% = 100 * 3.9 / (18.0 + 0.44 * 5.5 + 3.9)
    Lin's TOV% = 100 * 2.8 / (10.5 + 0.44 * 2.6 + 2.8)

Lin just needs to be more aggressive and he has been aggressive the last few games.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

The insight is here:

I think this is very good piece.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

ummmmmmmm...... howabout the injury slowing him the beginning of this year, his performances against the Knicks this year,.... jus sayin.... nothing earthshattering but a bit of an update for those that don't follow the Rox....

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Maybe that's why you're still Jermaine Taylor

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is why I hate LOFs. I actually thought there would be relevant info here, rather than just another opinion piece given by random sportswriter.

19. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I don't think Westbrook is "way better" than Lin.

He has worse shooting percentages than Jeremy this season while taking way more shots. Most his assists are simple passes to Durant or K-Mart who can both knock down shots at a high percentage.

He's the far superior athlete, probably one of the most athletic guys in the NBA. He makes flashy athletic plays/dunks which really make people say "wow."

However he lacks baskeball IQ and court vision, 2 things that I believe are probably the most important thing for an elite PG. He also doesn't make his teammates better, and in fact hurts his team at times with poor decision making.

Russell is also not a good defender, despite the eye test if you check his advanced stats.

Westbrook is basically Derrick Rose with much worse BBIQ.

20. gate470

gate470 Rookie

This thread will not end well, what were you thinking OP?? The members who hate Lin fans, are once again complaining.