1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally, the real truth about Olajuwon's age.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET!!!, Aug 3, 2001.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Hell, I'm 30 and I just stopped getting carded everywhere I go, because I look just over 21 (finally).

But if Hakeem is really 5 years older than he claims, I am prety amazed with some of his later accomplishments.

2. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Age is not a big deal in the NBA.

My son is in high school and he swears that half of the Trailblazers' roster went to school with him.

:)

3. SixthMan

SixthMan Member

It's not that I don't believe or believe, but it's hard when there are no facts presented or supported by the associate or rocket, himself.

The thing I am impressed with is (if i am to believe this) that hakeem toally embarassed david robinson when he was "36" and david was in his prime. Also, hakeem stood his ground (actually hitting more key shots) against shaq at"35". It's a little hard to believe without the facts supporting it.

Think about it, all these years (stories covered on hakeem by sports illustrated, espn, newspapers, magazines, etc ) no one came forth and told anyone that hakeem's real age is "x". So, no one would say something about hakeem in nigeria for a few thousand dollars or is it that all nigerians are rich or all the ppl he went to school with and played soccer with and associated with were kind, rich people who out of loyalty didn't come forth and not even for a few thousands dollars for a breaking story?????

I'm just saying that atleast RocketHead had some facts or proof. It'll be hard to believe a story when there's nothing supporting it.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree with DaDakota. He looked like the right age and body type for a 19-22 year old in his college years. He peeked at the right age is his NBA Carreer. And He declined at about the typical age of 36-38. The facts as we have them, in my opinon, lead me to the logical conclusion that he's 38 or 39 today. That's just reasonable deduction. You would need some kind of documented evidence to suggest otherwise, because the physical suggests that he's 38.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't really believe this whole thing either but I have a stick to add to the fire. Just another story though nothing substantial. My mom called me and knowing I am a Rockets fan told me that a Nigerian lady she worked with told her that Hakeem Olajuwon was 43. Im not sure how they got on the subject but this is what the lady told her. Seems weird that so many Nigerians would say the same thing. Any ideas on the reasoning behind so many Nigerian people all claiming that Hakeem is older?

6. courtside

courtside Member

It's very possible that Hakeem is older than his listed age. Mutombo has also admitted that he's unsure about his actual age but guesses he's 2 years older than he's listed at.

A few things to remember, though.

1) This was Lagos Nigeria we're taling about - in 1978 when he first came over. This 'classmate' could go back with Hakeem as far as 1965.

2) Does anyone here not think it's possible that kids in different grades shared the same classroom? It happens in the US, nevermind Nigeria.

3) Not all people in developing nations even go to school. Many start at different ages and it's very possible that a 10 year old and a 13 year old could both be in 6th grade at the same time simply because they started their schooling at different ages.

4) If $17mil is too much for a 43 year old - then wouldn't $33 mil for a 41 year old be much worse? :D

He isn't being brought to Toronto to play like a 30 yo stud. He'll start,but likely not exceed 25 minutes a game. He'll have better frontcourt help than he did in Houston (no offense to Mo, but AD was an All-Star last year) and won't have to carry as big a load. Another thing to remember is that the sun rises an hour later and sets an hour earlier during the winter months in Toronto. The 'Ramadan Effect' shouldn't be an issue considering it'll be dark before most games even begin.

Cheers.

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I wonder how old Hakeem is in Canadain years?

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

My comments to the naysayers:

You can not base your belief because he "looked" the age in college. I look about 5 years younger than I really am.

Your body will give out from overwork, not neccesarily a certain age. I think after 15 years in the NBA, my body would be pretty worn out too, regardless if i started at 10 years or 25.

Much like religion: Prove there's God/Prove there's not God

Prove he is 38/Prove he is not 38.

But either way, I don't care.

9. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I often wondered the last few years why Hakeem seemed to "hit the wall" re. quickness, jumping ability, getting injured, and bouncing back from injuries. Always compared him to Stockton and Malone in that they are same vintage but their declining abilities are not near as pronounced as what I saw. He also seemed to lose the fire in his eyes....they have not.

Don't know if he is 38 or 43, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is older than 38. That would help explain the rapid erosion of his skills and his inability to stay healthy. I am afraid that Toronto will figure this out soon enough.

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Who knows the truth, but it's interesting that all of these "overage" reports consistently put him ~5 years over his listed age.

I think it is very plausible and goes a long way in explaining his injury vulnerability and reduced production over the last 3 seasons or so.

He was a tiger up until age "40," wasn't he?!

11. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

I know a man that lost his house, job, and pride to a 'lucrative' business opportunity with a Nigerian business venture...

if it is too good to be true then it usually is...I have not heard one good story about Nigerian business..

you have been warned so do what your heart tells you..

In zimbabwe they call the nigerians the 'trash of africa' if you think about it thats a pretty harsh thing to be known as...it takes a lot to be called that in a place like africa..

i hope i am wrong but some of us here seem to share that sentiment so i am not alone .. good luck to you...

interesting info on dream though..

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just to add fuel to the fire, a quote from Jayson Williams' book Loose Balls :

When Manute Bol and I played on the 76ers together, I think he was about fifty-seven. Seriously. I asked him one time how old he was. He said he wasn't sure.

"Manute", I said, "don't you all have birthday parties in Africa?" He told me naw, what they do is put a little chop in the village tree each time one of the village kids gets a year older. So I said, "How many chops the last time you looked?"

"I can't remember," he says. "They chopped the tree down, and that was a long time ago."