1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, Sep 7, 2013.

1. joesr

joesr Member

Has anyone tried this?

A friend is trying to get me into it but every place I check it is sold out. Digital sales not available until all hard copies are good to go meaning a wait.

Which is kinda making me want it.

2. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

It's an MMO Final Fantasy game? I'm not really a big fan of MMO's.

I used to love Final Fantasy games in the psone and ps2 era, but the ps3 era of final fantasy killed the series for me.

I'd like to see some impressions from those who've played it.

3. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

It's good, albeit some of the servers have character creation restrictions on them, they just fixed a huge server issue this past week

4. joesr

joesr Member

It is an MMO

At first I thought it was an expansion for FF 11, another MMO but it is supposed to be a whole new genre which was getting horrible reviews during beta testing but then supposedly fixed and now a super shortage.

5. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Ya think fans of the old FF games will enjoy this one?

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

They already had some success with FFXI (the other big FF MMO), so presumably FFXIV will expand/continue the success from that game. Not sure if it was mostly fans of the existing FF games, or just MMO games. Does seem more like an MMO in the FF world rather than a MMO FF game (though what do I know?).

I don't really follow it too closely (not into MMOs either), but the dev team seems pretty motivated to make it a good experience/MMO. Certainly looks/sounds better than its earlier showings.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The game is fun, but the servers are over crowded, even after adding some more this past week. That is why they have stopped selling more copies until they can get things stabalized for the customers they already have.

One of the main problems is that they don't have an auto disconnect for idle players, and since it can be tough to get logged in due to full servers at prime time, lots of people just leave themselves permanently logged in even when they aren't playing, which just keeps the servers full even when a number of the users aren't really playing.

The game is worth trying for $30, but I don't think they will start selling the game any more until they fix their server overcrowding issues, hopefully at least in part by kicking players who are idle for extended periods of time.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Surprised that FF14 v2 is such a big hit. I guess it's that much of an improvement? I played FF11 for two months and loved it. I was in the beta for FF14 and didn't like it that much.

9. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

They are adding new servers and updating the limit on existing ones this wednesday, so they will probably host digital sales again.
    If anyone's interested I am trying to assemble a buncha of people who play casually so we can do stuff together -> server excalibur... its locked atm but hopefully wednesday they will fix that.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm assuming PC? not worth it on console?

11. joesr

joesr Member

Only reason I am not playing the PS3 version which is available at stores (unlike the PC version) is because I just upgraded my computers graphic card and want to test it out and FF is notorious for beautiful graphics (MMO standards).

PS3 has the same servers as the PC which is a big hit.

I am currently playing on a friends account and I am trying to buy his account. LoL.

As for PS3, if you have the keyboard, then I say do it. Only thing different I can note is the fact I am playing on ultra graphics.

12. joesr

joesr Member

I am already promised to Lamia.

How far developed is your character?

13. joesr

joesr Member

I was very skeptical because of beta but something happened between then and launch that made it crazy wanted.

14. joesr

joesr Member

Thanks!

15. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

FF 1.0 had way better graphics, PS3 addition made them nerf it :(. Supposedly I hear they are rumored to upgrade the PS3 Version to the PS4 when it comes out

43 Gladiator/Paladin...plus other jobs, I did play a bit at launch and after it became free to play for a month or two, so I got some stuff in. Still I take my time now since I can't spend too much time on games anymore. Anyways I hear they will allow character transfers in maybe a month or so... so that could clear up some issues.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I haven't been able to find any official information stating that they are adding new servers or upgrading the existing ones again this week. I know they did last week, and they were reluctant to add too much because inevitably some people quit after the first month or so and you have empty servers. Though it seems that they need to in order to open up sales again.

This is the latest update I was able to find:

http://www.fullcleared.com/2013/09/05/ffxiv-arr-server-upgrades/
    Personally I disagree with the idea that there is no point to the afk kick long term. If you aren't going to kick players who are idle for extended periods of time then you have to really restrict how many users can make characters on a server. Which can be hard to reconcile what the true number of users for a server is going to be if a user has characters on multiple servers.

Right now I'm playing on the Japanese server Ultima because the ques tend to be light in US prime time, (though terrible in the mornings, which is closer to their prime time). I haven't noticed any lag issues, so really my only current problem is the server full issues at login at times.

17. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

I personally don't care about the afk timers now, the update to the servers resolved the login issues imo, I am able to login around 8 PM EST constantly since the update. I believe they are updating the servers the lift the character creation restrictions on the heavily populated legacy servers (which I am on) and also improved the Duty Finder. Right now, for alot of end-game dungeons, you would have to wait around 20~30 minutes to create an instance which annoys people.

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Graphics are way better for 2.0 than 1.0, at least on the highest settings. 1.0 had pretty bland textures if I remember.

I'm on Gilgamesh. Not a big MMO guy since I've only really played FFXI and WoW for a little bit. Game reminds of me wow'ifed FF MMO. You can easily get to cap solo. Story quests do require some small partying (which you can get pick up groups) and from what I hear scale up in difficulty as you go.

Game is pretty fun so far and it feels like there's always something I could be doing when I play unlike ver 1.0.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Is this worthwhile? I played FFXI and enjoyed it. Monthly fee?

20. dback816

dback816 Member

I'm getting recommendations for this as well.

How is it? Does the combat feel heavy and weighty? The sound and animation feedbacks realistic yet cool? Great exploration and non-grindy quests? Fun alternative ways to level and other secondary objectives?