1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film-Study]: Breaking down the Capela/Howard lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Dec 23, 2015.

1. basketballholic

I remember suggesting the double big lineup of Dwight/Capela was our only double big lineup that could possibly work when we were losing early in the season.

Just a couple more points here:

1. With the return of DMo we now have the ability to play double big lineups practically the entire game with a trifecta of Dwight/Capela/DMo. That's three good to great defenders with complimentary defensive skills.

2. Capela is much better served playing the 4 defensively alongside either Dwight or DMo playing 5. When Capela has to play 5 alongside one of the other bigs (Jones/Harrell) or in our small-ball lineups, he is much more vulnerable defensively. He simply isn't mature enough to lock down the middle for us alone. He's gotta play alongside another good to great defensive big that can handle the bigger big and let Capela roam more out on the court and help weak side. Whether it is Dwight or Smoove or DMo that Capela plays alongside, he is much better served playing alongside one of those type guys defensively than he is to play alongside an undersized 4 (Terrence) or a 4 that is both undersized and a rookie (Harrell) or a 4 that otherwise is not a good defender or rebounder.

3. This further confirms what I believe. If you don't have elite floor spacers, you gotta go super big and gobble up the boards, play D, and get the perimeter guys running on the break. We are built much more for a breaking offense than a spread offense at this time. It would be great if we could do both. And perhaps at some point in the future we'll have a developed small-ball 4 and the other perimter 3&D guys to be a great small-ball lineup. But right now we just don't have the pieces necessary to compete with the Warriors (and others) by playing small-ball. Therefore we've got to go big on the interior as much as possible and dominate the glass and run.

4. Our record is 12-2 this season when we outrebound our opponent. Our record is 3-12 when we are outrebounded by our opponent.

===========================================

If you can't shoot well it's paramount that you defend, rebound, and run. This is what Dwight/Capela allows us to do.

**As for the comment about why didn't the Dwight/Asik lineup work. The reason it didn't work is because McHale didn't make it work. Asik pouted. McHale gave in instead of kicking his hiney. And we got punked by Portland in the playoffs because McHale was running Terrence out there constantly and Terrence was overmatched by both Robin Lopez and LaMarcus. Finally after we got down 0-2 McHale went to Asik and we evened the series. But McHale kept running Terrence out there anyways as often as possible and we wound up losing 4-2. But....make not mistake...the Dwight/Asik lineup was far superior to the Dwight/Terrence or Asik/Terrence lineups once Asik quit pouting and started playing.

When a big can't shoot well, he's gotta defend and rebound at an elite level to help his team win. When he can't shoot well and his defense and rebounding are also poor (hmmm)...he won't help the team win.

2. basketballholic

The ideal duo would involve Capela at the 4 with his current athleticism and the added ability to shoot the 3-ball efficiently. Then you let Dwight/DMo hold down the paint defensively with Capela helping off the ball.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Capela is a much better finisher and is a major threat on the alley oop. Asik just wasn't coordinated enough to convert a lot of those point blank chances in traffic.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A couple of years from now, yes. At the moment, no.

Having Dwight/Capela/D-Mo all healthy and able to play together is huge now that we know Capela can play PF and help the team. This will allow Morey to focus on getting another perimeter scorer when he trades T-Jones.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

good post..I mentioned the same concept..shoulda been a NO BRAINER to try the dmo/howard combo from the get go

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Josh Smith is a better fit than Capela.

Beside defense, he also can create easy shots for others.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kudos. But I recall that being more about bringing TJones off the bench in the games Dwight played. I also thought your main point was TJones should never play with either big.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I've been advocating this sort of approach. Put the best defensive type pit pulls / shooters around Harden and just let him do his thing.

Never would have guessed we would have done the twin towers, but hey, whatever works.

9. basketballholic

I have advocated for trying Dwight and Capela together multiple times. Just read the posts for what they say.

I have also been very clear that (prior to DMo coming back) the only double big lineup that had a chance to be successful was the Dwight/Capela lineup because NEITHER Terrence NOR Harrell was good enough to be a difference maker defensively and on the glass playing alongside Dwight or Clint.

I have also been very clear about a third point. That is that Capela is not ready to anchor a defense. He's much better served defensively playing alongside a true paint/rim defender anchor. He's simply not good enough yet, not mature enough, not strong enough, not quick enough on his rotations, to anchor a successful defense, even a small-ball lineup. And he's one of the reasons why our small-ball lineup is neutralized when we run it out there with him, because they simply can't make enough stops to win the small-ball lineup matchups.

10. heypartner

Yeah, I read your posts and came away with you basically saying there is no role for TJones on this team. While you don't say that verbatim, knowing your dislike of TJones, that was main take-away.

Since you always write in huge amt of paragraphs, maybe I missed where you said how TJones would be utilized. Did you? Doesn't matter if you did or not, just tell me now. In what lineups would you use TJones pre-DMo's return and post.

11. basketballholic

I'm trying to understand right now why you and others make every thread about Jones while accusing Bobby and I of doing this. I haven't made this about Terrence. From the very beginning I made it very clear that NEITHER TERRENCE NOR HARRELL was good enough at the 4 for us to be successful with them in a double big lineup.

Quit making this about Terrence. This is about what big combinations work.

:rolleyes:

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

We need better a 12 game sample size with 9-10mpg. Try 30 games with 25mpg.

13. dmoneybangbang

Because you are trolls and/or very stubborn. Not to mention you have a certain type of reputation....

I'd distant yourself from Bobby, he's not regarded very highly across multiple Rocket fan sites.

14. basketballholic

Bobby at least talks basketball. The trolls are posters like you that don't talk basketball but call other posters trolls.

I will be so glad when Terrence is gone and you can move on to something else.

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

16. heypartner

:confused: Show me where I've ever made a thread about Jones? I think you're confusing me with someone else.

:confused: That statement is about Terrence. It's OK, don't get so defensive. I was asking you to confirm whether that was a correct take-away from your post. It wasn't a trick question. You confirmed it was an OK take-away, and I'm fine with you expressing your take. I just don't agree that TJones has absolutely no role on the team.

From Jonathan Feigen regarding the ORL game today:

"The Rockets offense had operated well through much of the first half. They had their best shooting first quarter of the first season. [After subbing in Capela for Howard] They had rolled through a 19-3 run – started by Terrence Jones and keyed by Clint Capela – to go from a 10-point deficit to a six-point lead. Harden had 13 first quarter points on 4 of 6 shooting." Jonathan Feigen Chron Sports ​

And notice when the Rockets started the 2nd half so poorly with Howard/Capela, JBB goes small, and doesn't bring in TJones for the entire 2nd half. JBB had to go small.

Harden and TJones also won the Charlotte game prior. If you don't recall.

I'm not saying he should start or not or whatever, nor am I against trading him. Just saying I do not agree that he has no role on this team as you persist with your confirmation of that position in your ALL CAPS quote above.

17. basketballholic

Jones has plenty of role here. We're a .500 team. 1+1=2

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

It won't work in every matchup since some teams have stretch 4s/5s, but Dwight/Capela front court against the Spurs is devastatingly effective.

Capela is such a godsend for the team with DMo still not yet back to his true self yet.

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

It won't work in every matchup since some teams have stretch 4s/5s, but Dwight/Capela front court against the Spurs is devastatingly effective.

Capela is such a godsend for the team with DMo still not yet back to his true self yet.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Excellent one-on-one defense by Clint Capela. He's been phenomenal on PnR defense and on switches. <a href="https://t.co/IqtTlugZtN">https://t.co/IqtTlugZtN</a></p>&mdash; Rockets Insider (@Rockets_Insider) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rockets_Insider/status/680591929160118273">December 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets: improve to 10-2 with Dwight Howard and Clint Capela starting together in frontcourt</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/680601936278753280">December 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>