1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film] Star Trek - Beyond

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did they really destroy another Enterprise? Please tell me that's a joke. That the ship slipped into a parallel universe or something for a "paint job" and pops back out with a purpose beyond blowing **** up. Good grief. Why be creative enough to come up with a good "rebooted" crew and then give them some goofy **** to do? Where's the humanity the series was famous for? Wrapped in non-stop action, spaceships instead of cars? Really? I'm a huge Trek fan, but this is getting ridiculous.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I loved the first one and will agree to that extent. I can't probably ever forgive the dumb retread plot of Into Dumbness, just for me.

But I'm down with the new one, even if it does look like Fast and Furious in Space. I like the gang they've assembled, and I agree that they've done well by the character of Kirk so far.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is this Trek or Mad Max?

Dunno, a serious paradigm shift, but it is Trek so I am in.

DD

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

A lot of people are saying this and I just don't get it

If anything, this one looks far more like the real Star Trek than the previous 2. This is way more reminiscent of the show at least than the previous 2 installments

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

First trailer...I was thinking this was the "Star Trek: Insurrection" of the bunch with the new crew. Second trailer...I was much more impressed with and I have hope for this film. This new film need to be witty. It can't all be about non-stop action. If the film lacks the human element (i.e. void of emotion, character development, etc), then it is all for naught imo regardless of how great the action sequences are.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Looks better. I'm just glad we're getting this instead of a dozen marvel movies jam down our throats cause the execs think children are the only demographic,hahah. So I'm fine with this.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought the first trailer was hot garbage, but the second one seems to have more character building between the new cast that doesn't serve as plot devices. If this movie is more like First Contact that builds upon those relationships rather than monster/homage of the week plots, then I could enjoy it rather than remembering the reboots haven't captured the spirit of trek.

I dunno. I'm pretty bummed at the new ST, but I realize that the last 3 TNG movies minus First Contact weren't that much better financially or for the eyes. Those movies each might've held more humanity and sci-fi inspired thought than the reboots combined but it was still horrible storytelling and mostly off timed humor and writing.

It's encouraging that Simon Pegg is giving effort rather than having Abrahams at the helm.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just saw it, and holy schitte was it bad. I don’t know how it got 8.6/10 in IMDB and I usually always agree with the website. They were way off this time, more like 1/10.

If you were pissed that JJ Abrams dumbed down the franchise, then you’d be on suicide watch after what Justin Lin did to this one. There was no real meaningful plot, no character development, dialogue made by a 5th grader, and rap music (Fight the Power) in the middle of it. Never thought I’d say this, but Justin Lin made Michael Bay look like a scholar—Transformers and all.

It’s so bad, I really wish you brehs don’t pay nor see this movie. In fact, I’ll just tell you what happens, not gonna spoiler because it's really bad. Kirk get tricked to go to an uncharted space by a ugly she-alien, Captain Ackbar says it’s a trap and the enterprise gets torn to pieces by the Collectors from Mass Effect and they landed in a forest planet which they escaped from later on. The Collectors wants to kill the Starfleet Federation (based in a Citadel), but Kirk finds an old Starfleet ship on the planet and saves the Citadel. Somewhere in between, they hinted that Sulu is ghey.

Everything is badly written, from the characters, story, dialogue, and more. It's basically just a long 2 hours of generic action sequences.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Even though you hated it and spoiled the whole damn movie, I'm still going to see it on Friday.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I like how he dishes out spoilers AFTER saying I'm not going to spoil it. What a r****d.

Will also go see it. Recent trailers show high promise as do non-r****d reviews.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He said he wasn't going to spoiler it - not that he wasn't going to spoil it. It was clear enough to me.

12. Bandwagoner

He's using it as a verb not a noun. It is as clear as mud. The movie hasn't even been released.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's a noun.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I liked the reboot but hated into darkness with a passion.

I was hoping this one would be good, especially since I'm a life long Trek fan, and some of the early reviews show promise.

Bad form just ruining the movie who are still going to see it......

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Currently at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

yea, I'm surprised with the RT reviews, first trailer made it look like a cheap version of Guardians of the Galaxy, but the RT scores will get me to watch this tomorrow night

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Jontro should not have spoiled it. But you also should not have kept reading past "I'm not going to spoiler it."

It's not like this is your first time on this forum.

18. Bandwagoner

This forum is the most anal retentive or putting a spoiler tag on everything I have ever seen. So I have no idea WTF you mean by that.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, to be fair, don't think Jontro posted anything surprising about content, did he?
    I mean, you see just about everything he said in the trailer... except the ugly she-alien. Boy was I ever looking forward to that surprise.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I really hope Lin didn't Fast and Furious this movie. I don't want to embrace absurdity just because it's a sci-fi movie.