1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film] Star Trek - Beyond

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Dec 14, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Never watched a second of Star Trek in my life until the first two movies. Those two movies are the reason why I will check out the new Star Wars movie when it dropped. (Never seen Star Wars either)

So I will definitely check this out.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Eh, lifelong fan Trek fan as well and I thought the first reboot was decent and the 2nd film hot garbage.

Unsure about this one, did chuckle at Urban's bit as McCoy in the trailer....

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's an insult to the origins of the franchise, as recently relayed by The Oatmeal.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/plane

I usually don't get my panties in a wad over some dumb entertainment, but Star Trek deserves better than being turned into an action franchise. Or just... call it something else. Fast and Furious Trek or some ****.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought there was no such thing as money in Star Trek?

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That looks horrible.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't buy this at all

If anything, the first 2 new ones were an insult to the franchise. They did away with a lot of what made Star Trek so great to incorporate an indifferent audience

This movie on the other hand was written by someone that wanted to do it the right way and actually have the crew embark on the objective of the show. "Explore......" and whatnot. They are reincorporating relationships that the first 2 never even explored (basic things like Spock/McCoy). Not just rehash old storylines in a slightly different universe.

Star Trek movies also have to be inherently different from the show (which has always been a problem honestly). IMO, no Star Trek movie is that great, at least compared to any of the TV shows.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thought the trailer was off, but will see anyway. I've liked all the Star Trek movies. Some are obviously better, but every single one of them has entertained me.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trying hard to appeal to younger audiences.

Out of their vulcan minds

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

In general I have to agree although I really liked ST6: The Undiscovered Country (it was a fitting farewell to the original series crew) and ST: First Contact (I am a sucker for all things Borg). But there have really been some clunkers: ST3, ST5, STNG2 & 3 (especially this one)

10. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

It just mindboggling to me that the caretakers of the ST franchise do not seem to realize what works with the franchise and what draws people to ST instead of SW, BSG, B5, etc.

It's the Age of Sail, in space, minus the looting and pillaging of new worlds. And replace the natives with aliens. And throw in some lasers. (Speaking of which, Sid Meier should do a Pirate! Star Trek edition.)

So what works is coupling a running TV series that covers the exploration/discovery (*cough*mundane*cough*) aspects of it, giving the ST universe grounding, depth and richness, and then big screen movies emphasizing the fireworks. ST is not like SW where every outing is an extravaganza. SW universe is set up that way; ST isn't.

That's why ST2, ST6, ST8 worked, because they followed this formula (ST10 was the black sheep of this group). ST1, ST5, ST7, ST9 were turds because they felt like TV movies. ST3 and ST4 were tweeners. It'd be a shame if the new generation without the benefit of a TV series view ST as just a wannabe SW.

Paramount needs to hire me and get this right. But what do I know. I don't have an MBA.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is a recognizable IP but they have to appeal to general audience. They will never make a real Star Trek movie again, it won't make enough money. The stinking turd that was Into Darkness still made money so they don't care. Even the worst script can make money if it says star trek no matter the content. Just rewatch the motion picture and buy TNG on bluray.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

How come the Star Trek pr0n have more star power than the Star Wars pr0n?

13. VanityHalfBlack

Yes Justin Lin is just another Micheal Bay but that trailer looks action packed so I'm sold.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Basing this assumption on a 90 sec trailer??????

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Simon Pegg said he didn't like the trailer because it makes the movie look like it is "all action." He told the Star Trek fans to be patient, it's so much more than that.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Encouraged to hear this.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hope that's right. The trailer didn't make me interested.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I guess Paramount nixed the F&F style pop song tunes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzWIGFiGrlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trailer looks and sounds pretty bad. Still would definitely watch.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

First trailer was shiot.

That second trailer was much better.

Not sure why Trekkers hate the reboots. Thought those were fantastic. 9/10 for both movies if u ask me. Thought they hit captain kirk on the mark in the movies, as well as giving a solid origin story for not only the crew, but the ship. loved them.

First trailer felt like a mish mash of Hell Boy and space. And almost a throw back to the 60's or the Power Rangers. This trailer was a lot more modern and felt closer to the last two movies... diving into the depth of Kirk. Fast and Furious did what it does well. So you gotta think this will be at least ok. Looking forward. But while I liked the time travel plot lines, they gotta not go there this time, as why wouldn't u just ask the older spok how to defeat everyone since he been there and done that already, and why would u do everything again when the whole point is to discover new things that u don't know about, rather than discover things spok already told u about.

Like trailer enuff to see.