1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Filling the Void At PF and PG with Free Agency - Best Fit for The Rocks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocksolid, Jul 3, 2003.

1. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

The biggest voids that the rockets have in their lineup are discipline, leadership, and toughness. Relating these back to tangible positions on the court that instill such intangibles, I'd say we still need a 'true' PG and a very physical/defensive-minded PF.

Among the free agents on the market (disregarding the unrealistic...i.e. Kidd, Duncan, Jermaine et al), we could bring in several interesting prospects....

At the PG, the rocks need someone with good size (to maintian flexibility in playing both Steve and Cat at the 2), and who looks to distribute the ball first. Although not all 'true' PGs, my top 5 best fits for the rockets squad would be...

1) Gary Payton
    2) Andre Miller
    3) Gilbert Arenas (true PG?)
    4) Antonio Daniels (true PG?)
    5) Speedy Claxton (size is an issue)

Others I'd also consider: Travis Best, Kenny Anderson, Jon Barry

At the PF, the rockets need TOUGHNESS, and someone that doesn't need to make their mark behind the perimeter...my top 5 'best fits' would be:

1) Elton Brand
    2) Karl Malone
    3) PJ Brown (toughness?)
    4) Derrick Coleman
    5) Tyrone Hill

Others I'd consider: Charles Oakley, Jake Voskul

2. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

How did you determine that landing Elton Brand is less realistic than landing O'Neal? Just wondering; both appear to be pipe dreams to me. I doubt anyone on this board, or in the entire Universe would doubt Brand's ideal fit in the Rockets system. I still think we will land second-tier players (ie. Barry and a PF).

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I don't think the Rockets will be moving anyone for any of the better players out there.

And it sure would be nice to have E. Brand but it's just not going to happen. I think the Rockets took a gamble on their "sure thing" Eddie being their #1 pick for 2001, and will see it through because there is no way they can trade potential with low salary for "arrived" and high salary anywhere.

I do see the Rockets resigning Posey for around MLE.

I do see Ming and Eddie getting much better next year, thanks to some much needed weigh (off-season) and agression injected via Ewing.

Steve is a franchise PG who needed more confidence in his teammates. I think JVG will "help" Steve realize that part of the game. Did you see how he was in the allstar game last year? Sure it's easy to have confidence in Allstars but it can be done even with his own teamates.

4. jlewi27

jlewi27 New Member

What about Charlie Ward? I heard Van Gundy would like to have him as a Rocket.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think the only way we could realistically get a decent PF or PG is via trade. Remember, we're already ten million over the salary cap. Maybe Horry for the veteran's exception. The glove once said he was interested in coming to Houston, but I think that was mainly because Rudy T. worked so well with veterans and was considered a player's coach (remember, GP's never happy with his coach anyway). I think we may be able to land Rasheed Wallace and Derek Anderson for Rice, Cato, Taylor, and the first round pick from Chicago (from the Bryce Drew trade), but would we really want them, considering the baggage? I don't know, it might be best to keep things the way they are, maybe experiment with Cato as a PF.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Not bad ideas.

Id throw in PJ Brown to your PF mix. Dude knows how to hustle. We need someone like that.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

nice post...

...maybe CD will log on.

8. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I have read what I could find before and after the draft on the FA situation this year. There are a lot of people looking for jobs, and because of the Lux Tax, there aren't that many big jobs to be had. Consensus is that most of the second tier FA's in order to get their money are going back to the teams from which they came or have motivation other than money.

Houston has no money except for the exception which would only be attractive to a lower level FA. Kinda wierd saying $5,000,000 for 9 months work wouldn't be attractive, huh.

I believe the word is out around the rest of league, if it hasn't gotten to this board yet, that the Rockets are not going to be contenders for the championship this year. Therefore, ringhunters aren't interested and because we have none, the moneygrubbers aren't interested. In fact, I haven't heard the Rockets mentioned prominently as a place of interest by anyone.

What will we do ? Anyone got any intelligent guesses ?

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

You left Juwan Howard off your list of PFs. I think we could have a chance of landing him for the MLE, but he'll probably go to Dallas or LA before us.

10. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Why do we need PJ Brown? Another 2nd Rate PF? EG and MT are already taking care of that. We could use a shooter on the floor. Rice isn't what he used to be (like 5 years ago).

Our success is dependant on our supposed franchise center becoming a legitimate franchise center.

11. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

Arenas would be a good fit. He and steve aren't great passers, but having 2 good passers and ballhandlers would definitely help out. Plus he's taller than most PG's and gives us a defensive upgrade over Cat.

I'm concerned with the combined abilities of our backcourt. Both are scorers and only one is above average as a passer and distributor. Just Steve or just Cat isn't the problem. Maybe they buy into JVG's system and improve, so we'll see.

12. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

damnit

13. rocksolid

There is some hope for Brand, and here's my reasoning....

From what I'm hearing and seeing, there are approximately 3 slots existing on NBA teams for big dollar contracts next year ($10+mm per year)...and a couple (2-3) slots b/w $5-9mm...leaving the other big name free agents positioning themselves for the $4.8mm mid-level exception...

I'm thinking Kidd, Duncan, and Oneal will land the 3 big dollar contracts. Among the other big name free agents you have...Malone, Mourning, Payton, and Brand...Brand has the most potential upside, but he's not a proven winner (like the others).

That said, there is definetely a chance that Brand gets to the crossroad this summer when he has to decide b/w the $4.8mm or staying with the Clippers. Dude went to Duke, he's smart...he'll take the $4.8mm with the hopes that he'll land the big money in '04.

14. rocksolid

Although an upgrade to Rice... the rockets already have plenty of overpaid, untough, non-rebounding, unproven winners...

15. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Maybe you are correct in that Brand doesn't receive an offer (unlikely) that the Clips then must determine to match or not (having his Bird's rights). If Brand signed a deal for the MLE, the Clippers would match. Either way, Brand stays with the Clippers for a low-dollar short contract or he signs a long-term deal with another team with cap space and the Clips decide to match, or not.

Only Brand or his agent could hand pick the team (and I'm not sure of any indication given by either that the Rox would be his favorite new place to be) and try to force the Clippers hand via a request for a S&T. The Clippers hold the cards though, so I think it unlikely that even a S&T is done this summer. One thing is for sure never set yourself up to be surprised by the Clippers, because they will do just that, surprise you.

16. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

I would like to Kenny Anderson if the price was right. He isn't a starter anymore, but could provide valuable minutes off the bench. I doubt it happens though because with Moochie signed I think we will look for a guy that can play both guard spots, and Kenny can't do that.

17. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

i think we should consider bringing in kevin ollie at the point. i believe his assist to turnover ratio is very good and he would be a solid point for our team.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think that Rod Strickland would be a viable backup, he has always been servicable and is under rated in my opinion.

Just a thought.

19. OrangeCountyCA

If I was the GM, I would bring Jon Barry (shooter, passer, pg/sg) and PJ Brown (rebounder, greast size and body for a pf).
    These two IMO are the perfect fit.
    Then I would let EG play both forward positions as a back up.
    And Mobley to come off the bench.
    And here would be our lineup:

Steve_Jon B.
    Mobley_Jon B._Posey
    Posey_G.Rice_Nachbar_EG
    MoT_PJ B._EG
    Yao_K.Cato

Moochie, T-Mo, and Collier would be gone.