1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

File swapping to become a felony!?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Jul 17, 2003.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

msnbc.com

House proposal targets file swappers

Bill would make swapping of copyrighted file a felony

July 17 — Peer-to-peer users who swap copyrighted files could be in danger of becoming federal felons, under a new proposal backed by Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives. Their legislation, introduced Wednesday, would punish an Internet user who shares even a single file without permission from a copyright holder with prison terms of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000.

Written by Michigan's John Conyers, the senior Democrat on the House judiciary committee, the Author, Consumer, and Computer Owner Protection and Security Act (ACCOPS) represents Congress’ boldest attempt yet to shutter peer-to-peer networks, which the major record labels and movie studios view as a serious threat.

Currently, under a little-known 1997 law called the No Electronic Theft Act, many P2P users are technically already violating criminal laws. But if the ACCOPS bill were to succeed, prosecutors would not have to prove that a copyrighted file was repeatedly downloaded. Conyers’ proposal would require them to prove only that the file was publicly accessible.
    Other sponsors of ACCOPS are Reps. Howard Berman of California, Adam Schiff of California, Marty Meehan of Massachusetts, Robert Wexler of Florida and Anthony Weiner of New York. No Republican has supported the proposal.

One legal scholar viewed the legislation as an over-the-top measure. "The business of expanding the criminal law so that making unauthorized personal copies of copyrighted works becomes a criminal violation is overreacting six ways from Tuesday,” said Jessica Litman, who teaches copyright law at Wayne State University. “It’s exceptional. But that does seem to be what the bill is trying to do.” Litman said that without ACCOPS, copyright infringement currently is “hard to prove because you had to prove that a copy was actually distributed.”

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a civil liberties group in San Francisco, also criticized the bill. “Jailing people for file sharing is not the answer,” said EFF lawyer Fred von Lohmann. “Proponents of this bill are casting aside privacy, innovation and even our personal liberty as collateral damage in their war against file sharing.”

================

Ridiculous.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Right on. :D

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Big Mofo at Federal Pound Me in the A$$ Prison: "What are you in for?"

Young Punk: "Sharing MP3s"

Big Mofo at Federal Pound Me in the A$$ Prison: "Well I've got something I wanna share with you."

Man whoever gets time for this offense, they are gonna have it really rough in jail. :eek: :D

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Someone wake me up when they figure out how to stop it. :rolleyes:

5. Major

Major Member

Someone wake me up when they figure out how to stop it.

Threats of individual lawsuits cut file-sharing 15% the week after it was announced. If this goes into law, you can bet it will cut it 50%+ even if only a few people actually get put in jail for it.

6. goophers

goophers Member

I wonder why Berman supports this? Could it have something to do with the fact that he gets over 25% of his campaign bribes from the music and movie industries? :mad:

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

I never did download much, only when I want to check out an artist. Well, the other day I wanted to check out some stuff from Pete Yorn. Well, although I went ahead and downloaded a few songs, I definitely thought twice about doing so. These measures, as Major pointed out are effective.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just the discussion of this in public will cause people to stop downloading. The perception that a crackdown MAY be coming is enough to stop most casual file swappers.

It won't knock it out, but even the proposal of measures like these have a chilling effect.

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I think there are at least two types of file swapping apps that are completely anonymous. What can they do about that?

Link

Blubster doesn't conceal your identity entirely

#9 Sonny, Jul 18, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No Republican has supported the proposal.

That can't be, Republicans only care about the rich (in this case, record labels).

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Unless they're liberal Hollywood/entertainer types.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Rocketman95 is right. The Democratic Party has been in bed with Hollywood and the entertainment industry for a while now.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is the first time i have seen a republican help a person or the public and not a big business in a long time.:confused:

Still freaking hate them

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Save all the Republican bashing for the D & D....