1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fighting during pickup basketball

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DeAleck, Feb 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

We have seen fighting between players in NBA games. Players get suspended, but no one goes to jail. I've always wondered, what would happen if a couple of guys start a full blown fist fight during pickup basketball? What would happen if one guy injures another? What if he does this in defense/retaliation after he's pushed/punched first? Does the legal system interpret these fights the same way it does to bar fights or street fights?

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

From my personal experience, fights in pickup basketball are usually put a stop to before the fight can happen since there's so many other people there.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JYufKhLVgLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In my experience playing pickup basketball if there isn't at least one fight it wasn't a good game. No one has ever called the police when someone decides to engage in fisticuffs. Some girlfriends have threatened to call though. Usually we will try to stop the fight before it happens, but if it does go down, it's over or broken up fast and we resume playing.

When there is a large group of black people playing sports outside you tend to get the police just loitering around, but we are on our best behavior when that bull**** happens.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Can't comment on any legality, but wanted to CSB this.

I was a weekly regular at a suburban park in North Austin where there would be 15'ish guys coming out. One week, I wasn't feeling well so I stayed home and I heard this from a few guys the week after. Apparently, something happened where tempers flared. They told the guy to go home, so he went to his car, but then he came back with a gun.

His cousin, who was a regular and had invited the guy, was able to get him to calm down with a few others. But holy crap, how do you get so pissed off to bring a gun to your local park? Fortunately, nothing happened and they were able to defuse the escalation and that guy was never invited back.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

SMH at the OP. Above The Rim didn't teach you anything??? :)

Actually that wasn't exactly pickup but my point is if it delves into fistfights, that's the best case scenario for a pickup basketball fight as I think what one should be wary about is a participant in the pickup game going to his car to "get something".

Kinda like this

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If you can't stand the heat...then stay off the court!

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

General rule when you don't know know all the actors involved.

[​IMG]

Funny thing is, it's probably 10x easier to hurt someone Bruce Bowen style during a game than punching someone.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I remember when I used to play back home in the neighborhood. One time one of my friends was playing basketball, and was winning the game. It was so competitive they broke a leg off a table and threw it through his heart and he died - right on the court.

1 person likes this.
  10. VanityHalfBlack

usually it will go no longer than a min when a fight breaks out during pick up basketball. Besides, people play pick up ball to ball not to get into a fight unless they're thugs around the park?????

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A few years ago my cousin got into a fight with a dude that had an erection while playing defense. Can't say I blame him.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Life was hard in the Q.B.! :rolleyes:

13. jae713

jae713 Member

Nice!

This one time in a pickup game, me and a guy that I had teamed up with to hustle, hustled the wrong guy. He didn't want to pay up and went to his car to get a gun. Everyone took off and me and my teammate jumped a fence to be quickly picked up by his Puerto Rican girlfriend in a old convertible. Fun times.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Weird. My coaches always taught me that an erection was the correct response to someone "backing you down in the post." But now that I think of it, a couple of the coaches mysteriously ended up in jail and the school administrators were especially tight-lipped about it. Hmmm...

I wonder exactly how much of my basketball training might be horribly flawed somehow?

15. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Dwight Howard Approves.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OPAPtO0tz5T/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I flop too much to get into fights.

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I hate people who fight during pick up games. These are the lowest of low class people. I hope these types of people don't procreate and their genes are removed from the gene pool.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This coming from a pack of wolves. Lol

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's pretty easy to spot people who will start trouble in a pickup game. The problem is when you have two or more of those people on the same court, and even worse when those two people are guarding one another.

I played in a work league where two guys got into a pissing contest once. The ref warned them once. Then they started talking about "the parking lot", and the moment that happened, the ref ended the game right then and there and gave a big fat L to both teams.

Back at the UH rec, I remember that you'd get thrown out and/or have your access revoked if you participated in a fight. The cops can get involved if one party wants to press charges, of course. Assault is assault, even if it happens on the hardwood.

#19 DonnyMost, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have been playing pick up soccer at a place here in The Woodlands. On Tuesday nights, it's specifically for those over 35 to play. You'd think it would be a nice leisurely game but it typically devolves into yelling and pushing. I'm amazed at the stupidity and lack of perspective people who are pushing 40 have. They still have dreams that a Dynamo scout is out there or something and that they could still get signed. They're yelling at the refs and other players like there's something on the line. I've stopped going because it's gotten close to fights on a few occasions and I don't have time for crap like that. Plus, I don't want to get injured by some dumbass who doesn't understand the situation.