1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My man Modric!!!

LOL @ Messi. Complete flop on international stage.

Best ever, my ass.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do you think Messi's physical limitations versus Ronaldo's have finally caught up to him?

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Modric is the best cm in the world.

Messi should renounce his nationality, what a joke those players are.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine that's part of it. He's so diminutive and defenders have probably relished putting a body into him for years now. I also think that his poor performance for the national team is psychological at this point. Ronaldo craves the pressure with the Portugal jersey on.

ghettocheeze and peleincubus like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

To change the subject I have an 8 year old son. I put him in a soccer camp this summer. He has never been in any kind of organized soccer. I have played with him 3-5 times a week since he was 2 years old. He is doing extremely well though.

Does anyone here have advice or suggestions on what I could do to continue to help him develop his skills? I may have a little Christian Pullisic on my hands here haha

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Argentina looks completely toothless, and Messi looks like a man who has completely given up hope on ever winning a World Cup. That mistake by Caballero was the final nail in the coffin to this era of Argentine soccer IMO. That set the tone for the rest of the match, and now Argentina has to hope for a miracle just to stay alive.

7. Obito

If he’s good he can probably play travel, if he’s really really good, he’ll get scouts. Most pro players were playing in Europe development camps by the time they were 14.

I think part of reason USA’s soccer talent is so diminished is because when they do get proteges, they keep them in country and just have them go to a good college, if you’re a guy, that won’t do much, if he really wants to be a pro. Also depends on his aspirations.

Good luck!

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thank you for the reply.

I have gotten him a lot of practice gear within the last year. We have watched videos from "soccer u" together taken notes and practiced the specific things he has gone over.

According to him though he is the fastest boy in his class. And the second fastest boy in his PE class (which includes 4 total classes) So if I can get his skills to match that he should be doing pretty well. I don't personally have any aspirations for him to go to Europe, unless it were to somehow happen naturally. But playing at a university when he is older would be great.

As far as his aspirations I ask him periodically if he enjoys it and I always get a yes. For instance I asked him this summer if he wanted to continue taking Jui Jitsu classes or soccer and he picked soccer.

10. Obito

Nice, well i played varsity soccer since my sophmore year in high school, out of the whole team which was pretty good, two got scholarships, one to an above average school and one to an average school. They were both lightyears better than anyone on the team. Even then they probably wouldn’t make it to the MLS.

Soccer’s one or the harder sports to turn pro, it’d be great if he got a scholarship. 10-14 is an important age in soccer, it’s where you can tell if a kid is good (makes hs team), if the kid is really good (scholarship to an ok college), if he’s great (scholarship to a great school) or if he’s a class talent (european scouts).

Sounds like your son has potential, make sure you put him on a competitive team that plays on a high level (set plays), that’ll raise his level of play to where he’s making the HS team by freshmen year.

11. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Weird game for me, I HATE both teams. Truly despicable characters on both sides.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Get him on a team ASAP. Look for try outs for teams in your area, I know some area schools even have teams in middle school now so it's never too early. Work on ball control all the time, like using both sides of his foot or make him only use his off foot to get it stronger. Throw him balls that come in bouncing and at off angles to help him get used to adjusting his body to the ball. Start taking him to games, HS even so he can see much older and better players to look up to as an example.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A scholarship would be amazing. By the time he is in college a semester at a decent school will be about 100k a year lol

Obito likes this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Also you are right about middle schools having teams (I'm in Austin) which is pretty cool they are doing that now. In my experience it has typically been only basketball and football mostly.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

True this.

My son is at Hopkins. Room and Board is $72K+ a year. Ridiculous. We are talking about college here, not the med school.

Luckily we are getting a 2/3 scholarship or we couldn't afford it, for sure.

I am going to be eating noodles because I got another one going to college next year.

I might be passing the hat soon enough on Clutchfans. Lol

Exiled likes this.
  18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Is it still true that no south American team has ever son the WC on European soil? I know this is Russia, but close enough. Lol

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Can't say that's totally true in 2018. No one who follows US Soccer can actually say the best players/proteges are in college or have come through the college ranks over the past 5-10 years. (Not sure if Jordan Morris qualifies).
    Over the past decade, the best young players all left for Europe as soon as they could or can. (Yedlin left as soon as he got an offer after the 14 WC and he went to the one of the only college programs that actually played good possession ball.)
    The majority of young US protege type talent are already pros right now and it will only continue to increase. Either in Europe(a lot more preferring to move to Germany) or with MLS teams/academies. The ones in college know it won't be as easy.

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yep. "Peleincubus" definitely take the advice above. Keep doing what you're doing but definitely get him on a team so he can start playing . Over the next few years if he still likes the sport and actually shows talent in it, get him playing against older kids. Don't stop working with him at home though.

Torn n Frayed likes this.