1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIBA's Std Letter of Clearance Enforces Rights of National Teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Live

Live Member

Well, at least the Rockets & Yao will only have to go through this once.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Nash can bail based on injury, why can't Yao bail based on injury? NBA players are always injured. The only issue is if they can play with the injury or not. If Yao had a mind to, I'm sure he could plead injury (I know they can have a doctor look at him, but what will the doctor say when Yao howls every time the doc touches his back?).

I'm not suggesting this is FIBA vs NBA or FIBA vs CBA or CBA vs NBA. I think you might be locked into that perception (of my perception). Is there a provision in the FIBA rules that forbids additional agreements between leagues doing a player transfer? Why wouldn't you want to allow a little extra? Why would the NBA not want to consider it, even if it were a special dispensation?

As for what the Rockets have signed, will sign or won't sign: I don't know. I doubt it is public knowledge what agreements the Rockets have signed or not signed. They could have signed 10,000 documents in China and we wouldn't know, would we?

Finally, you mentioned previously that the Chinese officials have shown they are not versed in the intricacies of the FIBA agreements. You don't have evidence of this. There were many demands reported that were unreasonable, ridiculous, obviously unacceptable and obviously not allowed. However, it is not clear that those demands were ever accurately reported. We didn't hear anything like that when the Rockets went to China to talk. So I don't think you can use those reports as any evidence of what the CBAers might or might not know.

From those meetings, the Chinese have appeared to be very reasonable about the whole thing. Their biggest concern, in fact, seemed to be to get the Rockets to confirm what FIBA already enforces, as you pointed out. Obviously, they could rely on FIBA to extract cooperation from the Rockets, but wouldn't be more courteous and easy and clear if the CBA and the NBA addressed the issue specifically to be sure all parties were clear on their obligations and rights?

3. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

I think you are spot on! Good analysis of the situation. :)

-G'day-

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

mechocon pointed out Article 4.4.5. which allows agreements between two leagues, but says nothing about teams making special agreements with other leagues.

I'd like to repeat that there is no incentive for Stern to support ALLEGED attempts of China changes the rules...and they are ALLEGED. He is on record saying he won't. So clearly, he is not going to let a singular franchise usurp NBA's agreement with FIBA, either, not with a First Round Pick under a Rookie Scale contract, in a manner that survives for the life of that player.

JV,

The simplest explanation is the one quoted guy in China is mistaken. He didn't know about us already being bound by FIBA, or he just wanted to quoted in the media making an official statement in some posturing manner...just like we've seen over and over.

You seem to like to deny everything that you choose to by saying "you don't really know, do you," yet all your points are based on things you don't really know, as well.

What is the point in these types of discussions. I gave you FIBA rules. You don't want to believe they have force, so you want to usurp them, and merely say...."You can't prove that I can't usurp FIBA." OK, fine.

#44 heypartner, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

HP:
    There isn't real value in arguing over this. One thing is clear though, Wang zhizhi of Mavs does have a special clause that demand him going back to China as soon as season ends. And Wang is also under FIBA regulation! To me, "at least" means if the club allows, the player can report to national team early. Every national team can practice anytime they want, why FIBA wants to ban transfered player to practice for their NT earlier? This isn't NCAA foortball.

It is highly unlikely, if not absolutely unlikely, this is a situation of misquote. It's reported by Xinhua News, official Chinese government news agency to the rest of the world.

Let's read the quote again:
    "We hope that NBA teams selecting Chinese players can guarantee they are </b>physically and mentally fit <b/>and have the right to serve the Chinese national team," Chinese Basketball Association Secretary Xin Lancheng told the official Xinhua news agency in an interview.

"This guarantee must be in official written form."

How in the world can a team guarantee a player is physically and mentally healthy? The only logical explanation is China wants the guarantee that Rockets won't use "injury" as an excuse for not releasing Yao practice with NT EARLY.

"It also comes amid confusion over whether Dallas Mavericks center Wang Zhizhi, the first Chinese player in the NBA, will return to play with the national team this summer or remain in Los Angeles for the NBA's summer practice league. "

So, why does Wang think he is fine with the NT? Apperantly he does not break the 14 days rule. He said he will join them in late July. However, China appearancely thinks more practice time may be needed.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

And I forgot to mention there is rule 4.3.5 about bilateral agreement "to the satisfaction of both party" in the FIBA letter of clearancerule.

7. heypartner

michecon,

Remember, I'm not trying to argue, rather trying to decipher what is hype and what is a "snag," which is important--and fun. I enjoy reading these league agreements and using them as litmus tests for figuring out fact from fiction. When you don't have "insider" sources and you don't believe everything you read in papers--since even correct quotes have revealed propoganda and posturing--it helps to have the actual rules in front of you.

My purpose is to expose hype from Marc Berman and a single quote from a middle man official in China that goes against anything Michael Goldberg and Doc Rocket have said in the last weeks and the last day. I'm just saying that a "written agreement" is not happening, imso, or it is going be a meaningless gesture that adds nothing to FIBA rules.

Speaking of facts: The fact remains that Wang is playing in summer leagues and is not defecting, and there is no CBA quote that he is pissing off China. Fact is: We have many times of posturing by Chinese officials and ludicrous demands that amounted to nothing according to CD. To me, it is either misinterpretation/translation or it seems like middle men trying to respond to reporters in a defensive manner. Remember, many Chinese are upset with the CBA's handling of things and they want answers. I've definitely seen some defensive posturing by CBA/Sharks over the past year.

We've heard that Wang has a special clause, but I've never heard anything that it is anything other than the promised FIBA clearances. So, that's what I'm saying ... they don't need a special "written agreement."

The other fact is Michael Goldbergs continues to say even today that "it is out of my hands." Further indications that there is no "written agreement" that is going to happen with the Rockets. He has never mentioned signing anything with China. There isn't anything to sign. I still say we are not allowed to sign anything. If Dallas signed something, it was just pomp and circumstance and it will not happen with a #1 pick. I do know that parts of Wang's contract was written by Chinese and had to pass the League Office attorney's.

To me, that sounds the league allowing something in a piddly 2nd Rounder Contract just to get the 1st Chinese contract signed. That does not mean the League will allow something special with the #1 pick.

btw: thanks for pointing out the 4.4.5. clause. You are right, but note that that is between two federations. I don't read that as a single franchise of a federation can sign a bilateral outside of the rules of the federation. Anyhow, the whole point is the "written agreement" is unnecessary, and Stern isn't going to change his rules for a #1 pick.

#47 heypartner, Jun 25, 2002
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:) HP, I don't think you understand me at all. You say I'm saying that FIBA doesn't carry weight. I'm not saying that at all. Obviously they do since they will dictate whether Yao is eligible for the draft. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't incredible that the Chinese may want, for their own comfort, additional agreements between the CBA/Sharks and the NBA/Rockets (I don't care who signs). These may simply re-iterate what the FIBA Agreement says; they may go beyond the FIBA Agreement; they may leave some stuff out that FIBA covers. It is reasonable for them to ask for it anyway for the following reasons:

(1) Adds extra protection in case mediation is required,
    (2) Makes the agreement a direct agreement and not solely reliant on a third party,
    (3) Is customized to their needs,
    (4) Makes it very clear for all concerned parties what their rights and obligations are because they've gone over how it relates to the particular case in question.

For these reasons, I don't think a request of additional promises is unreasonable or posturing or empty. It would serve a legitimate purpose; that's all I'm trying to say: additional agreements would serve a legitimate purpose.

It is good for the ChBA and the NBA and the Rockets that there is also the FIBA layer governing the issue. It protects all parties. But you're arguing that there must be nothing else to the process because FIBA is sufficient. I'm saying that, while FIBA may well be sufficient, there is a use for additional agreements.

9. heypartner

JV,

I'm not saying FIBA is the all powerful at all. I'm saying since the NBA abides by their rules so far, then we already knew we had to support National Teams. Before I read this, I didn't realize they could pull players ... rather it was just a kind gesture.

Don't you find it comforting that all NBA GMs already realize these rules and are bound by them? Thus, it is not an 11th hour surprise or snag. We've yet to hear that Goldberg has said he needs to sign something.

I think you guys are making too much of it, and trying to come up with scenarios where some "written agreement" is a "snag." It is not. Sorry, I'm not buying your "snag" theories just because there is some wild scenario of connecting disconnected quotes together. Goldberg and CD have said "it is out of our hands" and never mention "written agreements." Believe that! There will be no agreement, because we can't sign one beyond some silly gesture of nothingness that can't survive the career of a player, and Stern won't....he's already said that.

The only thing Stern will allow signed is an agreement that repeats the FIBA rules of releasing players. He has no incentive to do otherwise. It is merely a kind gesture, if that's what we are talking about, and adds nothing.

#49 heypartner, Jun 25, 2002