1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIBA clears Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by greatpacha1, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Gasol hasn't shown the mentality that he could be a good mentor. Scola, at least is a constant professional, works with the younger players and doesn't have any diva mentality that would cause him to hinder the development of a fellow player.

Montiejunas could learn more about being a professional from a guy like Scola. Plus a easier to handle contract.

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Since when did we get Zoran?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Summer League roster doesn't mean you have a Rockets contract. Morey has invited him to the summer camp. The theory is: it's as a friendly gesture to Goran and way to keep us on his mind.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So you think Montiejunas has Gasol-like potential? I like the sound of that. As far as mentors go, Donuts is a fan of Scola's. I don't know how he feels about Gasol, but he probably thinks highly of him, as well. After all, the guy has had great success in the NBA, and huge paychecks. Scola's big moments have come in international play. Just bad luck for Luis that Yao (and McGrady) went down, or he might have had more chances to shine in the playoffs besides that one run.

#24 Deckard, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

"mentoring" never works out the way you hope it would. Backups to the stars usually aren't able to learn from their counterparts (think Peyton Manning) or the stars don't want to give away their secrets (Brett Fave with Aaron Rodgers) or the backup with potential just isn't able to take to the lessons of the superstar (Tiago Splitter with Tim Duncan). The best way to treat a good prospect in the basketball sense is to play him. This isn't NFL quarterbacking or MLB pitching where you could ruin the guy sending him out there too early. If D-Nuts has the talent then let him work it out on its own. The rest will be history, and the later you begin this process the more you risk tarnishing the guy's confidence so much so that he never capitalizes on his potential (Marcus Morris, Terrence Williams).

1 person likes this.
  6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

D-Mo and Gasol would be scary similar to those Lakers championship teams featuring Gasol and Odom. Not this season but maybe next.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not really knowledgeable of the roster of the Lithuania national team are we?

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

We agree! Pau is D-Mo's upside. Can it get much better than that?

9. KB9

KB9 Member

once again, Zoran Dragic is a SF

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

May as well start planning the parade.

11. opticon

opticon Member

says who he is the same size as Goran with more of a scorers mentality. He is 2 maybe a combo card for sure not a 3

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Houston, I am come!

13. KB9

KB9 Member

Me, I guess you'll have to wait and see for yourself, if you'll get that chance. Watching him playing here in Slovenia for years now, so I think I know something about him and on which position he plays, so. Scorer yes, shooter no, at least not yet.

14. KB9

KB9 Member

and yes, btw not the same size, bigger, stronger than Goran...

15. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Gasol doesn't exactly strike me as the mentoring type. And players tend to pick up attitudes and demeanor from established players, more so than they pick up unique skills. How often do we really ever see a young guy learn a specific skillset from an older player....a coach is one thing....but whether we like it or not, all these guys are in competition with each other in some way when they are actively playing.

The only thing I see Donatas picking up from Gasol is his weak-mind and inconsistent effort. That's much more likely than him learning to play like him.

1 person likes this.
  16. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yeah, I missed this. A lot of this. Mentoring done by an active player is a cute little thing we talk about, but doesn't actually happen.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Would you explain why you have this perception? Gasol has 2 rings, both of which he did much of the heavy lifting. He was not a role player. The only other current players I can think of that can say that are TD, Manu, Parker, and Kobe. If you are manning the 5 and get 2 rings averaging about a 20/10 how can you be weak and give inconsistent effort? Plus the guy has been a WC all star for 3 out of the last 4 years. Just asking.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

19. hahachui

hahachui Member

he could be the surprise for NEXT SEASON!!!!
    ROY candidate

20. AFS

AFS Member