1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Female sports fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DreamRoxCoogFan, May 1, 2013.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

I've noticed that many dedicated female sports fans do the same thing- they pick certain players that they support, and support them rather than the team AKA fans of great basketball. Hence when the player leaves to go to another team, they become "supporters" of that team. This is separate from casual female sports fans who tend to just support their team because it's fun to do so and may not know the intricacies of the roster and strategy. Anyone else come across this?

Now obviously there are several good examples of women on this board who are TEAM supporters, and not just players (rocketgirl will own more memorabilia than I can ever fathom), and some men support players rather than teams, but I'm starting to think that these are exceptions rather than the rule.

I believe that being loyal to a team and having to suffer through their hard times is a rite of passage for a real fan.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are male fans that do the same.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Lin fans to be specific.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The sexist in me suspects they care very little about the league or the sport itself, but are actually bigger into team/school spirit: the kind that actually devotes a lot more energy (and personal pageantry) to specific individual games or events, and actually views criticism as counterproductive rather than passionate. Whereas die-hard male fans of a team will re-project that energy and enthusiasm to other teams and the league itself when their franchise isn't playing. The douchebag in me depleted any intellectual or emotional reserve for sports, particularly arguments about true or legitimate "fandom," about fifteen years ago.

5. DreamRoxCoogFan

you're probably right. Whether people are fans of players, casual fans or bandwagon fans, I guess it's all the same, no point in fighting for it. But I was just wondering if anyone else had the same observation

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cleverly disguised "LOFs suck" thread

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was thinking cleverly disguised LOF's are women thread.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

I agree, your experience alone is enough to define female sports fans around the world. Yes sir.

Putting that aside, I think diehard "real" fans just need more hobbies. I'm not going to sit through a winless season on the couch. If I'm stuck on the couch, I rather watch something else, play video games, or even read a book.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sexy pics of these female fans needed.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you should reevaluate my choice of the word "suck"

I think they call it a "double entendre"

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My last gf was a rockets fan, too bad other things didnt click. Fun to date female sports fans

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm with a girl now that likes the Rockets and was really into the game tonight. I think she might be a keeper.

1 person likes this.
  13. hooroo

hooroo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3afZip4BTRc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. DreamRoxCoogFan

[​IMG]

put a ring on it!

1 person likes this.
  15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We're getting a bit carried away with this advice thing...
    NO. Let the man decide for himself! :eek:

Let's see what she does whether we win the Championship, Uprising ;)

16. smr6

smr6 Member

I'm with a girl that I've converted to a Rockets fan. Of course she is a pretty big Parsons fan as well so she kind of falls into your category. But, she gets excited for Rockets games and enjoys watching them even though she never followed basketball before dating me. It's a neat experience getting to share that.

Things are starting to get kind of rocky in the relationship though so we will see what happens :/

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

NO. Let GOD decide for him! :eek:

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My fiance went from kind of a Spurs fan to IDGAF to an occasional Rockets fan. When we go to games, she cheers and follows along. When I'm watching the game at home, she only watches it with me for spurts, but she knows to not bother me when I'm into it. That is as good as I've ever had it.

The GF before her used to see me watching a game and would think, "Oh, good. He's sitting down. Now would be a good time to talk to him about stupid **** that no one would ever want to talk about. And should he not give me his full attention, I will be a b**** about it."

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Problem solved......;)

20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I've seen evidence of this from females.
    " OMG Chris Paul my baby daddy. Clipper nation baby!"

I also have seen male fans like this
    " LeBron is the GOAT homie. Followed him from Cleveland to Miami. Ain't nobody stopping the Heat man!"

Fairly annoying.

And that awful feeling when you'll never find a girl as into the Rockets as you...:(