1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen]Van Gundy would like to coach Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 22, 2016.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would be ECSTATIC to get JVG back!

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Viola"? As in, Viola Davis?

Voilá!

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brooks, Thibodeau off the market. What are you hearing on Van Gundy/coaching search?

Tom took the job he considered the best job. Rockets didn't lose him. They were never in on him. Brook's agent got him all the way up to $35M by the threat of the Rockets. Rockets would have given him an interview. It wasn't "My gosh, we lost another one!" Jeff would definitely be interested. He was interested in the Minnesota job. He lives here. All the way back to Dallas when they hired Carlisle, he viewed it was too far away from home. He's a Houstonian. He wasn't born here but his roots are in Houston. If he's ever gonna coach again, this is where he'd like most to do it. He & Daryl Morey still have a really good relationship. I don't think Jeff knows how Les feels. They want to do a process. They don't want to just pick a guy and that's our guy. Les wants information. Give me everything you can. He'll want, will Jeff run a 2016 offense, not 1996 offense? He'll have to show that. He'll get a chance to show that. The thing people never understand, Les makes these decisions. Daryl & Gersson do a ton of work. They present their findings & opinions but this is Les' team. He fired Kevin McHale. He hired McHale. He'll hire the next guy. The other people have a ton of influence and do a lot of work but no one can be considered a frontrunner until Les considers someone a frontrunner. He's in charge of the coaching search.

Sounds like it'll take a big time sit down between those two parties.

He watched them closely this year. Not just because he was a candidate but he & Daryl have gotten along well. Jeff is a smart guy. People know that. He likes all that info Daryl provides. Doesn't mean he'll use it as a blueprint any more than Adelman or McHale did but he wants it. Give me more, more, more. That's the Daryl mindset. Daryl's whole thing about analytics people don't get, it's not to the exclusion of anything. Give me more info. Dig deeper. Let's do better. They also spend more on traditional trust-your-eye scouting. Everything is about give me more information. That fits the Jeff way. It could be a good fit. I talked to Leslie about this. He believes in the current space-the-floor, uptempo, shoot three offense. He still absolutely believes in it. Does Jeff?

If not Jeff and not Bickerstaff, what direction or pool of candidates?

Hesitant to say names because I definitely have a list. You've heard all the names. The idea they'd hire a guy to bring in Durant was always wrong. They would of course but there isn't that guy. That was never right. Brooks doesn't deliver Durant. He's not going anywhere to play for a guy he already played for. They're not looking for that because there isn't that. Rockets like to do their work & have a chance to uncover something you weren't talking about. People weren't talking about Kevin McHale. Previous two times they did get the name. They'll look at some assistants. They really liked Kelvin Sampson. I bet they'll look at Jim Boylen. Assistant now in Chicago. He spent time with Pop, Rudy, Vogel. I bet they look there. Les has never hired an assistant. That's not the way. J.B. Bickerstaff deserves and will get an interview. The way he gets ripped is so unbelievable. ... I always go back to when fans were ripping Pop for not playing Austin Daye enough. If Pop will get ripped for not playing the 13th man, Bickerstaff will be "wrong" if he fails to play Harrell, Goudelock, [guy who doesn't play and he damn well should have played].

#43 J.R., Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. dmoneybangbang

People can't seem to grasp that sports/business are fluid and things can change at a moments notice.

1 person likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

During JVG's last season coaching in the NBA, 29% of the FGs that his team (the 2006-07 Rockets) attempted were 3 pointers. This 3 pointers attempted rate was the highest among all NBA teams that season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2007.html

Even in today's more 3-point happy NBA, a 29% rate of 3 pointers attempted would still be above average.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for that Feigen transcription J.R. Good info from JF.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This. He defies the odds. We'd have to assume JVG has at least average intelligence right?

8. onreego

onreego Member

Wrong. Viola because it'll be like music.

[​IMG]

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Rockets like to dig huh? Maybe they dug enough to find out Durant loves Kevin Ollie? No one seems to talk about Ollie.

10. onreego

onreego Member

Fire Morey crowd be like, "whattt?"

On a serious note, this is probably why we won't see us taking a flyer on Messina or any other unknowns from a winning system.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

College coach, not a ton of experience. Will not pass Leslie Alexander's check list.

And Jonathan said there is no "Durant coach".

12. ibm

ibm Member

jvg it is.

settled.

and i will be happy.

1 person likes this.
  13. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think JVG would work here with Harden and a new cast. JVG is a teacher and that is what they need. When he does the games you can hear him analyzing the issues and what they need to do to fix them. Give him Harden's attention along with some new, more talented role players, and we will be much much better. I think he can see the problems with the role players we have. I'm sure he would discuss that with Morey and Les when/if he takes the job. JVG seems like he is a straight up type guy and would tell Harden like it is and not baby him to get him to fall in line with the program. I think he is the 'name' and type of coach this team would do well under. The offense will take care of itself with Harden and a new cast of players around him, they will be well prepared each game with JVG as head coach.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

People are missing the point, Leslie believes in the high-paced 3 point heavy offense...that's a problem.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

1) That's not even close to the top reasons Bickerstaff is criticized

2) Comparing Bickerstaff to Popavich lmaoooooooooooooooooo

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It should be the JVG's job right now, not only on the basketball point, but also for the business too.

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

NO, I can't go through another 80 ppg season

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not really that surprising. He's lived here a while and over the years given much props to the team.

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think having Harden and a better supporting cast would cure that. I would also hope that JVG sees the NBA game has changed since he coached last. He had to slow it down back then to get Yao touches. Hopefully we have a younger more mobile team this time around for him.

20. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Hmm....

1 person likes this.