1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen]Van Gundy would like to coach Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

These aren't valid sources. Until Burt Steele reports it.. it's false.

2. malakas

malakas Member

what I don't understand is this. If a journalist who writes about the Rockets himself has a scoop like that, why not take the scoop for himself but give it to someone else?

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

He posts(ed) on here.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I actually tend to believe Cyberx more on this... I doubt JVG would even give a hint of interest in a job someone currently has...

5. Raven

Raven Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HO17B-ACRn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I listened to the Feigen interview on 790 at noon. He made it sound like the opposite of what Cyber is saying. JVG would like to coach here. He and Morey have a good relationship. He likes and respects the Rockets organization. But that Les is the one who needs to be sold on it.

We'll see what happens. What concerned me was when Clanton(or whoever was doing the interview) asked him about the backup choices should JVG not get the gig. Feigen claimed he didn't wanna reveal his list(he did offer up Jim Boylen as a possibility), but I got the impression there really aren't very many options left out there with Brooks and Thibs out of the picture and Les reportedly not keen on hiring an assistant coach.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My sources indicate that Les Alexaner's preferred coaching candidate is Clyde Drexler.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JVG cackles at his leverage.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Better coach than John Brewer.

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Feigen doesn't churn out BS so I'd believe him over cyber, but I do appreciate the info cyber gives us

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He has some leverage, but not much. Feigen made it sound like JVG really only wants to coach in H-Town if he were to return to the sidelines. I'm pretty sure Les will pay the man(although maybe not the amount Scotty Brooks got), but if we're to take Feigen at face value, it's ultimately a matter of JVG convincing Les that the offense will still be uptempo with a lot of 3-point shooting.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Feigen goes to extreme lengths to not rumor monger, so if he puts something out there it's pretty well sourced.

It backs what everyone but Cyber has said anyway. JVG and Morey get along very well.

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Bingo.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its plain stupid to suggest that JVG might not believe in the value of the 3 point shot. Even Popovich has come out publicly and said that he hates the 3 point shot, but the Spurs utilize it about as much as anyone in the league. JVG will surely utilize the 3 point shot. However JVG will NOT force 3 point shots in a bad shot situation vs. getting a quality shot in the offense that might or might not be a 3 pointer.

I think getting shots at the rim will be the primarily shot he will try to achieve on every possession, and implement better ball movement to limit turnovers which will lead to longer shot clock possessions, but better looks. He also won't let someone like Corey Brewer continue to launch from 3 anytime he's anywhere close to open. Brewer taking a 3 is almost like having a turnover as it often leads to an easy bucket on the other end as well.

JVG will be fine coaching in the modern NBA. He's not going to let Les & Morey convince him to run this crap as# excuse for an NBA offense, but he's not stupid enough to NOT utilize the 3 point shot, and adjust his offensive style to push the pace more in the modern NBA. If you think he won't then you are being pretty ignorant.

15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Or it's to get leverage... and things need to change first.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Byron Scott is, on the other hand, plain stupid.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Find some decent 3 point shooters and viola! JVG will look like a dang 3 and D master ... funny how that works huh?

19. Awesome

Awesome Member

Ole Assistant Coach Gundy wants back in again huh.

Remember why you wanted him out in the first place.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Leslie is our downfall..

1 person likes this.