1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feigen]TMac Cautious, Out a Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by docgundy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

If Mac is hurt he should sit out we've all seen how he played when he was hurt and that it not helping this team. At the same time as a fan I can't help but feel frustrated with this team. There was so much hype surrounding the Rockets in the off season and now it looks like we are one more injury away from being back in the lottery.

You have to ask yourself how a team that can't win without its best player could contend for a title. The bottom line is we should be able to win without Mac if our team was truly a deep balanced team. The fact that we can’t beat anyone without Mac is a red flag and a sign that we have serious issues that go deeper than the absence of one player. It’s on Yao to step up and carry this team without Mac and its times without Mac that we see how much we over value Yao. He’s a really good player but I don’t think he can really be considered a super star in the NBA until he can lead a team to victory by himself on a consistent basis.

I don't see the Spurs or Mavs falling to pieces without there best player to the point that they can't beat anyone the way the Rockets do without Mac. I'm not saying the Mavs or Spurs go on to win an NBA title without Duncan or Dirk but they sure as hell compete and win even versus good teams when these guys do go down.

As far as Mac's passion for the game goes I don't think he has it anymore. He's a filthy rich young man who obviously has other things in his life besides basketball and it appears his lack of playoff success is something he's gotten used to. But just like he's the only one that can say how bad his knee hurts him he’s also the only one who can really say how bad losing hurts him. From my perspective losing just doesn't bother Mac to much anymore. :mad:

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Nice to see somebody still has a level head. Not really the news I was hoping for from Tracy but the last time he tried to play hurt he hurt himself on a straight up dunk. Rather have the rest of the team suck it up while he's out and try to find a groove, esp. for our supporting players.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

That's fine and dandy. The way Tracy says it is awful. "I'm going to keep myself out for a week . . we'll see." When was the last time you heard any pro athlete say that. Most players have to be forced not to play by their doctors.

Yao played on an infected toe for almost an entire season. Old Man Jason Kidd plays hurt everyday. Mcgrady is going to hold himself out? WTF? If the doctors told him to do that, my bad. I'm not doubting he has pain. Even if the doctors did tell him to sit out, why is he telling everyone that its his decision?

I honestly hate it when Mcgrady talks. It's always big talk. "It's on me". Then if he doesn't perform or something happens, excuses and crying.

Classic Mcgrady quitter/excuse quotes:
    "Man, you don't understand what my family is going through"
    "I want to play baseball when I'm done"
    "Wahhh wahhhh :( :( Wahh" (after Jazz series)
    "My back hurts" (when he sees he has to play Kobe)
    "I'm going to pull myself out for a week"

What bs

I hope we go Ed Wade on the big players on this team. Yao included.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Please go kill yourself

5. mlwoo

I will by the end of the season. Don't worry.

6. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

I'd prefer T-Mac sit longer time if really needed, and come back healthy. No more excuses as there were too many excuses for this "superstar".

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think finally t-mac is making a smart decision. Instead of trying to play hurt which clearly isn't working for anyone, the best thing he can do is rest his knee until he can play on it the way he needs to.

And the team doesn't have to go from having him at the start of the game and having to leave in the second half. It'll be a lot better for everyone in the long run.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That pissed me off last year when he faked being carried off in a stretcher. That stretcher was really made out of nerf, and the people carrying him were really just peanut vendors.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Yao played with a bad big toe that hurt like hell, which caused him to play like crap. People called him soft. Then later we found out that not admitting being hurt really made the toe worse and caused him to miss half of a season. I am really baffled by people who say that T-Mac should just suck it up when he is hurt, and call him soft when he was playing badly with a bad knee.

BTW, whoever says that T-Mac always quits when the schedule is tough. I guess the prospect of playing against the mighty Memphis and Toronto really scared T-Mac to fake injury. :rolleyes:

10. rocketsmetalspd

Great news, at least this will give the Rockets a heads up on what to expect for the next four games. The Rockets will have had four days to heal and hopefully get a game plan going for the next four games. RA should have the team ready and I believe they will win all four up coming games which in turn will have T-Mac ready to play(T-Mac should take as long as necessary to rest, he knows his body).

11. stq

stq Member

we are still around .50 mark, we will still make the playoffs even if Tmac misses 10 games.

I'd rather have a healthy Tmac coming April.

so I say, rest well Tmac !

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Nuggets game was far and away the most exciting game of the season IMO. The team got out there and flat out busted their tales and only lost because Bonzi bit on a pump fake and Carter made a lucky shot.

It sucked that we lost but that was the first time this season that I was standing up in front of the TV and shouting. If the team goes out there and does that every time Tmac is out then he can sit all year for all I care.

13. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

If he actually believed he had something torn in there then what was he thinking refusing the MRI? Was he trying to prove the 'haters' how tough he actually is? Can you actually move with torn ligaments?

14. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

My sentiments exactly.

x 2 for today. ;)

15. mlwoo

Word.

All I want is for someone to give a *****. The 04-05 team was awesome because of their desire to win. When you have old ass Jon Barry and Bob Sura out there giving every bit of themselves on every play, you get excited. Even Tracy seemed to care back then. He went and had the hardest workout offseason ever. Got bigger, stronger. Then when his back went out, he didn't try hard ever again. He wanted to play baseball.

I would watch Chuck, Bonzi, Brooks, Scola, and Steve play all night every night. They might not win, but they care.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I can really care less how he says anything. If in the long run this helps our supporting players find a groove then it'll be worth it, if not then we'll struggle through the rest of the season the way we have so far.

All this, I don't like how he say this and that is just pointless stuff to fret about, only thing I'm worried about is what's on the court. Tracy isn't going to be on it at the moment, so I'm not worried about what or how he says things

17. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, personally think TMAC was being irresponsible.

He has to be questioned about what he really thinks

• WHY all of a sudden such caution measures ?
    • WHY he shunned doing a MRI earlier?
    If he had done that MRI earlier, found out what exactly is wrong with his knee and then immediately take rest, then would it mean instead of forcing himself to play hurt, came in and out of previous games that he could not complete, and eventually hurting this team, he could have already rested 1 week and now ready to play again ??

Inexplicable behavior from TMAC !! :mad:

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow, some of you guys kill me. The man tried to play hurt and it wasn't working. The knee was obviously bothering him and he wasn;t the same player. Yet you want him to suck it up and be less effective? How bout he just take his week to heal and come back normal?

I swear........you guys act like he wasn't trying to play hurt just a few days ago.....

19. All Souled Out

Exactly. 2 superstars with passion that play hurt every day, and have carried teams just like McGrady did, but did a better job:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xw1pmjQtut0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8ns7Bkm-s&feature=related

This team has got to trade McGrady. Even a less offensively explosive player like Paul Pierce, but tougher, I'd rather have. T-Mac isn't just not a leader, he's unreliable. He's horrible for this team.

Do you think Duncan would sit out in this situation? Garnett?

Hell, even look at hockey and football players. Those guys play full contact with broken ribs and arms.

20. htownballer91

htownballer91 Member

McGrady to sit out Houston's next 2 games to rehab knee

December 27, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Tracy McGrady will miss Houston's next two games to rest his ailing left knee.

McGrady missed the second half of the Rockets' 97-92 loss to Orlando on Dec. 19 with soreness in the knee. He sat out Houston's loss to Denver the next night.

He played a total of 50 minutes in Houston's last two games, a win in Chicago on Dec. 22 and a loss to Detroit on Dec. 23.

An MRI exam performed on Monday revealed swollen tendons in the knee, but no structural damage.

The Rockets play Memphis on Friday and Toronto on Saturday. McGrady is expected to return for Houston's game against Golden State on New Year's Eve.

McGrady is the NBA's 10th leading scorer, averaging 22.8 points per game. He also leads the Rockets with 5.1 assists per game.

Also Thursday, Yao Ming missed practice with flulike symptoms, but the team said he is expected to play on Friday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...?slug=ap-rockets-mcgradyout&prov=ap&type=lgns

so is he missing a week or two days??? :confused: