1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] "[Rockets sale] is going to set the record" >$2b per Experts "Individual buyer"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 26, 2017.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Don't think the Rockets will sell for 2 billion, nor do I think it'll be a good investment at 2 billion, since with the exceptions of a few franchise/cities like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, etc, the value of most nba franchises can rise & fall dramatically with its performance and stars. Who knows what the Rockets will look like 5 or 10 or 15 years from now.

2. chonox

chonox Member

2 B's? Maybe Les can swap the rockets with Lavar for Big Baller Brand, with 1B for cash consideration towards Lavar (1b for each of the B's wasn't it? plus he has a history of speaking things into existence).

I personally would love to get my hands on a BBB Harden Rockets jersey for $1000, I'm a big baller baby!

3. chonox

chonox Member

Mutual digging happening here.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Les's goal was always to own an NHL team too. It's actually in the stadium lease. He also owned the Comets

And if there is any we can agree on with the huge praise ppl are giving Les and his likely $2b+ price tag is Rocket Ball, LTD and Clutch City Sports and Entertainment is they are run like actual companies, too. Ask Tad Brown

#84 heypartner, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Eh, golden state set the record in terms of sale price, and they sucked at the time. it's more about fan base consistency, which les has in spades, thanks to his coorperate clientele and suite deals.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Houston is taking over America folks. The city is exploding left and right. We have no other basketball team competition in Houston except for the occasional Spurs fans and their Churros. If we win a title this coming season, Morey and les are going to set a winning culture. Harden will stay and we will continue to do what the spurs do. We'll be a top team all the time unless we do something stupid like picking up LMA to be the next Duncan.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I just hope the high tariff prices out the riff-raff like Tillman Fertitta. I know the guy must somehow be making money (although I wonder how much of it is legit), but he just seems to have the anti-Midas touch. Everything he touches turns to ****. Unless of course, you like crap food, then my opinion will mean nothing.

CometsWin and Scarface like this.
  8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Golden State sale price of 450$ million was only 10% higher than the previous record SIX years prior by the Suns in 2004. The Warriors were coming off two terrible seasons at the time, but so were the Pheonix Suns when Sarver bought them in July of 2004. The suns were 29- 53 the prior season.

Teams like the Knicks & Lakers and a few others can maintain their value despite fluctuating performance, due to branding, huge markets and their incredibly lucrative in some casing owning) local cable deals.

Are the Rockets corporate sales, suite deals and regular ticket sales markedly better than most nba teams? Are they top 2, top5 or just in the top 10? Without the or market/branding/cable deals like LA or NY, will the Rockets be able to maintain the current valuation of 2 billion if their performance dips in the next 5 or 10 years. And will the value of the NBA and its team continue to skyrocket as it has done since 2010.

Maybe... I'm just thinking it isn't likely.

Yeah quite possible in that scenario. If the rockets win the next decade like the Spurs did the previous 17 years whoever buys the Rockets would've made a great purchase.

9. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Chinese need money laundering-in ligitamate way to buy this team. So it's easy to surpass the expected price.

10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will go for more than $2 billion and there is no question about that. There is only a finite number of teams and the cost of entry is exorbitant thus keeping out anyone who will disrupt their cartel. The league does not want an Al Davis on their hands.

China investors would be one of the worst case scenarios to happen to the team. They would have a revolving door front office with one bad season meaning a complete rebuild every few years. They also can be very unstable with their cash flow.

The guy that we should be hoping is still interested in buying a team is Larry Ellison. He can be a prick but the guy is a winner and HATES to lose. He would be hands on but he is smart and would make this team competitive almost every year.

That's my take at least.

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I wasn't trying to say it was fair value. I'm just speculating as to what the actual sale price will be.

But yes, Corperate sells and suites are high compared to other NBA teams as a percentage of ticket sales. At least, high enough to drive up the price.

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

No. Larry Ellison won't buy this team. He is rich enough and get more flash light than this team.

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

Will the Rockets have a new owner before the season starts?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know, we could end up with a chinese owner, and watch how the NBA turns into like the EPL - with huge money global ownership.

DD

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ellison wants a team in San Jose. No thank you on him.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Definitely mentioned in the article. Experts do say there is recent political complications to that possibility, though. We keep forgetting that Chinese govt can block purchases like this. I wonder if it's partly because it's harder for them to track profits the their natiionals muat share with them. Or if it's purely just a politics of isolation that are centuries old.

Also, NBA could block the purchase too, if they think it will lead to problems with a China owner not following the owner's NBA Constitution and fudging their BRI revenue from the other owners, striking deals in China for themselves, giving under the table bonuses to players, etc.

Remember how hard it was for Stern and Les to get them to even understand the rules surrounding Yao Mings rookie scale pay. I think they tried to get more money out of us for their pockets.

Anyhoot, Here's the excerpt

Less clear is whether the Chinese government would sign off on such a purchase amid a recent crackdown on overseas investments. Several cited reports of measures taken to prevent purchases by Wang Jianlin's Dalian Wanda Group - a move thought to also send a message to other investors.

Wanda had expanded its entertainment holdings, such as AMC Entertainment Inc., to include several sports properties, including Ironman organizer World Triathlon Corp.

Loans to several other groups involved in foreign investments also are under scrutiny, but experts said it is too soon to know if that could impact interest in the Rockets among Chinese investors.

But Ganis said even the potential of a Chinese investor bidding on the team could drive up the price

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why not Randa Duncan? Let the league have its first female majority owner.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

19. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

https://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/20...d-americas-fastest-growing-city/#.WXoYe1WGOUk

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45eegeg/1-houston-texas-2/#3dd031dc4ece

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not buying that. The NBA just signed a 9 year TV deal worht $24 billion. That's just the TV right for those two networks and it's divided equally among all teams. Performance has very little to do with profit unless you are in a very small market or lack interest in you r team.

The Rockets don't have those problems. This is going to be the 3rd largest city on the county in 3 years.

heypartner likes this.