1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] "[Rockets sale] is going to set the record" >$2b per Experts "Individual buyer"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 26, 2017.

1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Feigen being a good employee of Le$. Some parts in the article read like a sales brochure. :p

pippendagimp and Nook like this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I know Tencent can buy Rockets, but given their business practices I am strongly against that. Imagining that is like imagining sticking your dick into a meat grinder.

3. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

What do you mean by continue spending on the team?

Say the sale price of the team is $2.5B and all I can raise is $2.5B, so basically I'm in for all I have. Why are you of the opinion that I need more money to continue spending on the team? The team's expenses are covered by the revenue the team generates and the Rockets are very profitable. You don't think Les is paying James and the rest out of his pocket do you?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How's that different than Rocket Ball, LTD, which owns the Rockets, together with Clutch City Sports and Entertainment LLC, which I believe manages the stadium operations separate from the Rockets.

5. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

I don't really want or expect Tencent to get involved either. But they are hands off on high profile international aquisistions. They don't interfere with supercell and Riot's operation outside of China.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It's not, just saying that companies DO own NBA teams and gave an example.

I'd rather not take the risk with a corrupt company like them.

7. heypartner

Are you implying there are team owners out there who are stupid enough to not create LLCs and corporations to protect themselves from personal liability and loss.

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Did I say that?

9. heypartner

So, you're saying every team in every US sport is owned by a company, right? :)

#69 heypartner, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Most major ones can be said to be owned by companies, though I think Balmer outright owns the Clippers.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

MorningZippo likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I've busted Jon's chops several times over the years for his coverage of the Rockets, so it's only fair to praise him on a job well done. Good column, Jonathan!

As for who might end up being the owner, who knows? Like many of you, I'm hoping for a local owner with deep pockets, someone not named Drayton McLain (I think he's busy, anyway). Someone who will put in writing a binding pledge (if possible) never to move the team from the great city of Houston. I hope we don't get an owner from China, although it would surprise me if Les didn't get at least one bid originating from that country, or from Hong Kong. No foreign ownership, please! This is a big deal. It is arguably the biggest thing to affect the Rockets since the championship days. This will have a HUGE impact.

Fingers crossed. Right now, I'm thinking Les is more. Gonna miss you, Mr. Alexander.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'll bid $1 Bob.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Tillman Fertita is gonna buy the Rockets, the NBA needs to require him to buy a far more upscale Vegas hotel first. The Rockets are being made fun of for staying at the Golden Nugget even right now (because Landry Signature Group is a sponsor). Steve Kerr just did so during a recent interview with Ethan Strauss on Strauss' new podcast.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Do you have any examples of NBA teams? The Knicks and...?

17. heypartner

OK, I'm back to: Are you implying there are team owners (like Balmer) who are stupid enough to not create LLCs and corporations to protect themselves from personal liability and loss.

Let me give you a hint

LAC BASKETBALL CLUB, INC.

We are going around in circles, which is usually the way semantic arguments go. Every sports team is officially owned by a company. That company may or may not be 100% owned by a single person.

I still don't get what your point was to say Spurs are owned by a company, as counter to someone saying they don't think any big companies like Tencent own US sports franchises. Your liberal use of the word "company" is a semantic argument, since all franchises are technically owned by companies.

#77 heypartner, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The reason I brought up a Spurs is because they are run like an actual company and own multiple teams outside of just the NBA team. Recently, they even brought in a soccer team. It is the equivalent of what Tencent does IMO, though on a much smaller scale.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Agreed on foreign ownership. Les has already tried to give the Rockets a Chinese feel with the logo, uniforms. I'm not interested in some billionaire eschewing our colors and history in favor of Russia or Dubai or China or anyone else. I suspect though that Les already had a short list of buyers before this became public. The existing Chinese connections and his reported business in China make it a natural fit for sale to a Chinese buyer of some sort. We can see how the Nets have been destroyed by their Russian owner, I hope that's not on our horizon though I suppose any new owner, foreign or domestic, could destroy the franchise the same way.

Deckard likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I have a bad feeling about who ends up owning the Rockets.