1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets looking to make a trade sooner rather than later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Nov 19, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Isaiah already gets the lion's share of the minutes. Like Gogi said in his interview, IT almost always stays on the floor and whoever is playing best between Gogi and Bledsoe gets whatever's left over. I really wonder what their locker room dynamic is like... I can't imagine the two of them not feeling a little bitterness towards IT, whether it's deserved or not.

ETA: It's my own dumb fault for drafting Bledsoe, though. I figured IT would eat into their usage, but not to this extent. Sheesh.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So Morey's strategy for trade is the same as for draft: BPA?

I thought you draft the best player available and you balance your team by trading for your needs?

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Feigen said "The Rockets have been actively seeking to deal the $8.34 million trade exception".

That is in no way an accurate statement. You do not "deal" a trade exception. It is not sent to the other team in a trade, but rather allows a team to take on salary over the cap up to the trade exception's value.

The part that you describe is accurate. Likely he just worded his statement poorly. If he changed the word "deal" to "use", for instance, that would have eliminated confusion.

I really just took a shot at him because I see that mistake made so many time, and it annoys me.

#63 WinkFan, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he's just trying to create leverage so teams don't bend him over.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the only specifics Feigen provides is what Stein already reported

6. Garner

Garner Member

I would love Brandon bass on this team! Where is that chubby sob playing anyway?

7. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I knew that Dragic,Bled and Thomas would not work out and someone pointed out I was wrong because they can play 1 and 2 position. But truth of the matter is that they are all pg's and need the ball in their hands to make something happen. Do we need Dragic? No, I think Bev and Caanan are capable of handling the load at pg, but I do think we need a stretch 4 badly. Howard gets doubled, and when shots aren't falling from the 3, you need that stretch 4 to let him hit the open jumper or throw it down to Dwight for the easy layup.
    I don't know who is honestly out there, but Horford,Milsap,Bass,Patterson,Ryan Anderson are the type of players we need at that position.
    Dmo plays tough, but can't shoot worth a crap, and Tjones is hurt and he too can't shoot, but does at least drive and score at times.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not necessarily if you're looking for a huge impact player. For example, we went hard after Dwight when we had Asik as our second best player, and Melo when Parsons had just had a career year. I know we aren't necessarily talking about acquiring a superstar here, but the logic could hold to a certain extent.

9. deshen

deshen Member

Agree. I think Morey is trying to add depth at this point.

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I am eating crow on this, too, as I just could not fathom why Phx would immediately throw their 3rd-team all-NBA player under the bus. Guess it comes down to the money, and IT is a lot cheaper.

Millsap fills out the team way better than Dragic, though objectively Dragic is better. We'd still be extremely vulnerable to Aldridge, Randolph, and Griffin even with Gogi back.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say this is not the general trade or free agency. Morey is trying to get someone that can help, but who's contract is also able to be flipped at the trade deadline.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It only makes sense to find a beneficial trade ASAP. That NOP pick loses values everyday, especially with Davis putting up MVP type numbers. The TPE is useful in two ways. First, we can temporarily shore up the bench by adding a quality reserve. There are loads of players within the price range of 8 million; Bass, Young, Brewer and my wish, Millsap are among those who we can absorb to the TPE and be immediate helps to this team. Second, we can then use those contracts for a bigger fish come the trade deadline. If we keep the NOP pick, we can package that with whoever we get for Lin's TPE, Papa or Terry and whatever filler to make a very good deal if some star player becomes disgruntled.

But honestly, I think a player like Millsap would do wonders for this team. I salivate with the thought of a Beverley, Harden, Ariza, Millsap, Howard lineup since I think that would be the best overall starting 5 in the NBA. Add Millsap and find a quality big man off the bench and maybe a swingman, and I will feel very confident in our chances this season.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The article says this might simply build for a trade at the trade deadline.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Millsap won't fit in the Lin Exception.

15. SunsRocketsfan

jlin gets a tripple double ..

with turnovers

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

ewwwwww no thanks

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

10TO, 10 Blocked shots and 10 points in own basket?

18. NotChandlerParsons

Chuck Hayes for whatever filler second round pick? (Probably our own since the ones we have will be better).

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Well...

20. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Feigen meant that we could take in a player at around the TPE price range and not send back salary but picks and that would create a TPE for the other team so in that way we can trade the TPE.