1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets like what they see in James Ennis III

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 28, 2018.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Either faster pace or more fast break points.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can Ennis be traded on his own eg Knight, or is there a waiting period for him? I want him to stay in Houston, but if he could be part of a deal to acquire Jimmy Butler instead of PJ, I would do it.

3. JW86

JW86 Member

Tucker is here to stay!!

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

done

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, the OP was good.

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Does he really like tho? Last year Cp3 put in the word for Luc and this year PJ tucker put in the word for Ennis. So does Morey reallllly have a knack for finding these players or does he have knack for getting players that find those players? :D

7. MONON

MONON Member

Who cares? The results are the same either way!

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Well, saying were about to package one those players in a jimmy butler trade. We should all care.

saleem likes this.
  9. MONON

MONON Member

My bad. You're right, we all care. I should have said, "What's the difference" instead of "Who cares".

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

quarter of the season update. The rockets have the 2nd to last slowest pace rating only ahead of memphis. And even a slower rating to the previous year

BasketMAD and bmelo like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They don't run, Harden has reverted to his lazy walk it up self.

DD

BasketMAD and bmelo like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

its no different than what he or this team has done before. he and the rockets play with a steady pace. which was the point from the beginning

topfive likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't care about "pace" at all. Things slow down in the playoffs any way.

What matters is REBOUNDING and better FG%.

Houtho, hakeem94, topfive and 2 others like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Playing at the highest usage in the NBA. I think he is allowed to pace himself knowing the workload. But go ahead and call him lazy, sure.

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

so do you want to trade him for the proverbial "young player or w an some picks" ?
    Do you consider him the main problem?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to argue one way or the other... but usage, like the Pace discussion on page 1, is also a not well understood stat. You can look up the exact formula, but essentially its the % of the teams plays used by the player while he's on the floor.

Equally relevant to the workload comment, imo, is simple distance stuff.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/speed-distance/
    Unfortunately it's not available by game, or by minute.
    James is third on the ROckets in distance, only a couple hundred feet above CP3.

Another way to look at it, of course one would expect a guy like Klay Thomson to be running around a lot more out there just based on how they play...

... so then its a question of "workload" as it relates to mental workload, ball-handling workload, etc.

However you want to analyze it though, I personally don't think it has anything to do with pace, distance, usage or workload... it's just the way Harden plays, especially as the #1 guy. I think he and the team would benefit from speeding it up... but just a little, not a lot. And I'm not only or necessarily talking about more pure fastbreaks. Just speeding up the sets occasionally.

Because the way it is has become predictable. If it adds 20% wrinkles in there... be it the random back-cuts, the random sped up portion, whatever, you'd keep the defense on their toes a little more. The downside, of course, is how do you do that without messing up the tried and true that is the current system? How do you get everyone on the same page as to when you might go a little faster or slower? Does going faster occasionally really lead to better overall efficiency, and might it also lead to more turnovers and points the other way? I think it worth a try...

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The thing I like about your positions are they are typically what you see is what you get type positions. This might make you wrong when something out of left field happens.... which is important to note because taking perhaps contrary to obvious positions is how you can make leaps in terms of talent or style improvements.

But you saw Ennis. Saw what he was, and were like "nope, this isn't going to speed us up for any random reason".

And to me, that seems pretty obvious in retrospect. Slightly younger Ariza that hasn't been nearly as accomplished in his career was the obvious comparison. Which still rings true. Weren't going from Ariza to an obvious high flyer, sprinter or anything. And more obviously, with CP3 getting older, the Rockets would be what they are.

I would have been completely shocked if at this point in the season we were all looking at Ennis and thinking "love that guy out on the break!!"

You still might have lost the bet (and I guess its still possible but unlikely) as it looks like if it was just slightly faster pace you will lose...

bmelo and don grahamleone like this.
  18. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Small forward suck