1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets consider amnestying Scola, as talks with the Magic grow "serious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 11, 2012.

1. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Cuban got lucky. He threw crap at the wall every year and one year it happened to stick. Then he let Tyson leave, that's not smart decision making

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd rather have Bynum and let the Lakers have Howard and those ****ty contracts, lol

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I also wanted to ask a random question. Is it at all possible that the reason Aaron Brooks has been SO WILLING to come back is that he has been assured the Rockets will add Howard?

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

That's the problem. The lakers don't feel they NEED howard and thus would want us to take all the crappy contracts.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Fixed

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

And Motiejunas if it happens in the next three-ish weeks. After that he can be traded AFAIK?

7. Fullcourt

Aaron Brooks said we are literally the only team that has had a conversation with him, so no.

8. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Fixed

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Thanks guys for answering the previous Martin question, but I am really uncertain about is how many times a franchise can amnistey a player. Is it just a one time deal per team?

10. Fullcourt

Not necessarily. We traded Donte Greene shortly after he was signed. We just had to wait a little while for the Rockets to announce anything.

11. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Huh? This seems like a whack question. No team can really assure a player that they're trading for the top talent. If we had assured a Deron Williams or Eric Gordon we'd trade for Dwight he'd probably come here... but that's an impossible thing to guarantee.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

We've seen reports that he has turned down talking to other teams haven't we? I took that report to mean, he only wanted to talk to us. Maybe we presented him a lucrative offer (the $ he was looking for + starting role + promise of Howard). That's what I was getting at

13. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Fixed :grin:

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

They want the Rockets to take on those bad contracts. No third party is taking them off the Rockets hands.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Oh, I didn't know you could have a PTBNL in basketball. Thanks

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Now I've read it all. In your eyes, Morey should be fired if he finally lands a superstar in his prime. That's insane logic.

Also, you don't win with choir boys and basketball isn't a gentlemen's game like golf. Sure it would be great to have a superstar that is a likable guy(see Kevin Durant), but beggars can't be choosers.

This board used to really be something to behold, and cherish reading. But now people get too emotionally attached to their favorite players(see Scola), and they don't want a superstar in his prime(Howard) because of the way he's conducted his business. I guess some of you would have passed on signing LeBron James if you were Miami because of the Decision.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

18. Fullcourt

I seriously doubt it, and I would be surprised if we offered him more than a cheap 2 year deal. He knows there are only about 4 open starting spots in the league, and he has familiarity with us. I'd be shocked if Morey wasn't trying to at the very least get into position to sign CP3 to go with Dwight next summer.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I keep refreshing and hoping to see "Rockets nearing deal for Dwight Howard"

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what's so hard to understand...we can't do this trade if it takes us over the cap, because when you are over the cap you have to do salary matching. This is why a Scola amnesty is being talked about, because we might need more cap room to swallow incoming salary.

In simple math terms, the incoming salary increase is capped at the salary cap. So if Howard bolts next summer, just as aelliott said, it would take us $19m back under the cap.

There is some advanced math that could take us somewhat over the cap (although Morey would structure the trade as multiple atomic trades limiting this), so just trust your elders around here...aelliott is trying to keep it simple and he is correct.

If Howard bolts, we would gain his salary back as cap space.