1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets confident they will sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 9, 2018.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't get all the negativity around melo, we don't given up anything to sign him, if he works out he does, if he doesn't he doesn't. It's not like we are giving up assets or lot of money for him.

Richie_Rich, Sajan, adw and 6 others like this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm tired of people saying he's never won anything. He led a team to a NCAA title, and he's a gold medal Olympian. The only thing he hasn't won is a NBA title. Many NBA players haven't even sniffed a collegiate national championship.

You can say whatever you want about the guy's performance in the NBA but give credit where it's due.

Also I can't wait to read the next '''Eating crow" thread if we do get him, he's going to make a lot of you kiddies eat your words.

HakeemOnlyFan, topfive and mike2k132 like this.
  3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Preach brother

seclusion likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

Who cares what he was projected to be as a rookie? Or that he's not on Lebron or KD's level? That 100% has nothing to do with him coming to the Rockets as a scorer. All I want to know is can he still score the basketball in limited minutes. The answer is YES. Nothing else to see here

My point was that most the Anti-Melo ppl here seem to forget that Melo CAN PLAY. How can you be so against getting a player who can put up 17pts a night, but advocate for another guy (who shouldn't be in the NBA) to get more PT. Qi's a nice kid. But ya'll gotta get your priorities in order here

topfive likes this.
  5. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

What killed the Thunder is there defensive concepts. They worked as a group when Roberson was healthy when he went down their defense was trash. Teams would high pick and roll them to death like the Rockets did. They would look for the switch we saw many times Melo was forced to switch on Harden and then we cleared out and forced Melo to guard him one on one and OKC sent no help. If your defensive plan is to have Melo switch onto a player like Harden and guard him one on one it isn't going to work. Also when OKC did trap say CP3/Clint pick and roll and Russ and Adams trapped CP3 it was easy to hit the roll man. 9 time out of 10 Melo would be in the paint to try and defend but Melo doesn't have great athleticism so he will go for the swipe and then stick his arms straight up. So if you are expecting Melo to be a 1 on 1 lock down defender on the outside you will be disappointed and if you expect him to provide rim protection you will be disappointed. But he will usually make his rotations and can be hidden in a team defensive concept.

Remember in OKC with Roberson healthy they ran a lineup of Russ/Roberson/PG/Melo/Adams not only was it one of the top lineups in the NBA but during that time the Thunder had a top 10 defense in the league. So that tells me he can be hidden.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

what a stupid reply, one happened the other hasn't.

7. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Jeez whats taking so long! Hurry up thunder

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

It doesn't matter what ya all think of Melo.

He's cheap to sign and that's a low risk potential high reward FA.

Worst case, we cut him or bench him.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

Basically Bill Donovan. I don't regard him as a good coach. He basically let's WB do anything he wants while everybody else stands around. If I'm Carmelo I don't want to play in a system like that. MDA will utilize him better & make sure he's given his looks

topfive, s3ts and BigShasta like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hell also never win: Teammate of the year, Leader of the year, MVP, 6th man of the year, most efficient player of the year, defensive player of the year, etc.

Im still waiting on my crow from the other thread, so ill go ahead and place my order to go for another one while I wait.

YOLO likes this.
  11. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Bc people love to overreact.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You listed a bunch of individual awards when I was clearly only referencing team accomplishments. Uh, good job?

13. Nook

Nook Member

I suspect that the Thunder are having a heard time:

a). Finding a team to take Carmelo in trade for a reasonable price in trade;
    b). Working a buyout that benefits the Thunder enough and that Anthony will agree to,

I don't think when it is all said and done, that Anthony wants to give up anymore than the MLE he would hypothetically recoop from Houston.

I don't have any inside information, but it looks like this possibly could take awhile.

Red.Glare, DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bulls put themselves in a position to take on Melo (sending Felicio back). If I were them I would squeeze the Thunder pretty good.

Smacktle, Nook, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Nets just got a 1st and a 2nd to take on 20M, i guess even the Bulls can't be dumb enough to let Presti get away with less than that for taking 8M more, and like you said i can see Melo trying to keep as much money as possible.

Nook likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Now just imagine if Presti is forced to give up 1st and Ferguson, in the end, all things considered Melo would cost them a 1st, the Bulls 2018 2nd rounder (36th pick in this draft), Ferguson, Kanter and McDermott...ouch.

Nook, DonKnock and jch1911 like this.
  17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Seems like alot of times a player is bought out for less than he would make under contract. Knowing that they are letting him go, the only incentive to lower his $28M buyout is how quickly does he want out. I would not give them any discount till maybe September.

Nook likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

When you want to be and claim to be the "alpha dog" on an NBA team and shun away good coaching and help from teammates that are equal to you in ability, then youre creating your own demise. The team awards you list are far from what he can do by himself, in which, he has always wanted and insisted on. That head has gotten so fat, the NBA has forgotten about him. WHO ME?

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

1st and Goal.

Somehow we will run it up the gut with Lamar Miller 4 times in a row and gain nothing.

Richie_Rich, SC1211, Rodman23 and 3 others like this.