1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets confident they will sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 9, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

This post is the epitome of why I think most the anti-melo brigade doesn't understand NBA basketball, outside of highlights & boxscore stats.

Everywhere he goes he sucks? His numbers say different. Sucked is Zhou Qi or DMo. Melo actually has a skill set to offer

dlite316, BigShasta and Cstyle42 like this.
  2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Those same folks said the Harden and Paul wouldn't work out together either. Bwhahaha

dlite316, DonKnock and Cstyle42 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No they didn’t lol

Some in the media worries about two ball dominant guards

The worry with Melo is that he hasn’t been good in years

4. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

His numbers dont tell the whole story. You are correct in stating he does have a skill set to offer...he can score even if this skill set is on the decline. However, the “anti-Melo brigade” also recognizes that he does not make his teammates better and is a below average defender. These are huge contributers to the fact that he has never won anything.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

His last year as a Knick he was scoring 22 points a game. Last season with two other scorers 16 points a game. Yeah he is not good. Bwhahaha

seclusion likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is ppg the way you evaluate players?

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The reasons are different but it's a similiar notion in that you ignore the basketball on the court situation the player would be in because your focusing too much on hating on the individual player or the team (philosophy) which blinds you from seeing what the reality of the team chemistry would be and how it would help benefit that individual player or his individual game.

So they say stupid things like CP3 won't fit with Harden or Melo will ruin the Rockets because he sucks and is a loser. Rockets are done contending and the window is closed... stupid bs like that.

While all this nonsense is said CP3 and Harden are working hard together preparing to compete for a championship. CP3 wants to play with Harden and vice versa. CP3 is now pushing for management to sign Melo and Harden is recruiting Melo as well. You think they are doing that thinking oh Melo is trash and old. No he has value and with them he would be put in position to succeed because the offensive and team attack would be adjusted and set up for him to do nothing but succeed. Melo, Harden and CP3 will be busting their a$$'s this summer to make sure it works to perfection while the media and other haters sit back and speculate based on some created, manufactured bs that is not relevant to the actuality of the real situation at hand.

To say it's stupid to pick Melo because he's old, trash and selfish is not just a disrespect to Melo... it's a disrespect to CP3, Harden and the Rockets organization as a whole.

8. vick

vick Member

We will soon say hero to Melo. I can't wait until the season begins.

Invisible Fan and BigShasta like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lighten up, Francis. It's just an opinion on a message board, not "disrespect."

I loved CP3 trade. I don't like Melo idea b/c defense, age, and his stated attitude. That's my view and there are definitely other ways to view things. I welcome that. Doesn't make either of us "stupid" or a "hater."

We used to be able to handle people having different points of view. It's not a big deal, especially in sports, LOL.

Richie_Rich, Gri and studogg like this.
  10. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I can't wait for Melo to hush the haters on Clutchfans.

DonKnock, Htownballer38, jb86 and 5 others like this.
  11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I understand the concern and most of what i said was directed to the media heads like Colin Coward and media heads that literally make things more than they actually are by adding nonsense to stories when the extra nonsense never actually existed or happened to spice things up in a more negative fashion to damage a player's rep for whatever agenda moved reason...

Melo on defense and lack of youthful athleticism is a real concern but so was Ariza's weaknesses. Ariza had limited expectations and that in itself hurt us at times. Melo just needs to make plays when the defense played against us dictates for him to... especially in the crucial points of the game. Defensively we just need him to try... literally try. He's a smart fundamentally sound player when he applies his mind to the game. He knows where to be. It's a matter of buying in. If he makes a few defensive plays a game I'll be fine with that overall versus having a guy at the 3 or 4 spot not being a real threat at all.

Htownballer38 and B-Bob like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That would be great, but critics do not equal haters.

Invisible Fan and daywalker02 like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

Well it seem like you're not telling the whole story. Melo's not coming here as a superstar, so him not making his teammates better is exaggerated. His role here will be to score & not be Ryan Anderson bad on defense. Just because defense isn't his strong suit doesn't mean he can't help us win. He's a 6'8 guard that can knock down 3s, post up & get the foul line. Last season he averaged 17pts, 5rebs on 35% from three. If Zhou Qi ever put those numbers up this whole board will call him the next Lebron

Htownballer38 and Cstyle42 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Zhou Qi was never projected to be a superstar, Melo was in the beginning, he reached Allstar status but never got to Durant or LBJ level.

So throwing Zhou Qi's name, a scrub, out there to compare is a helpless measure. No need to ridicule Joe Chee who has given his all, he just might not have the overall package for this league.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They will never be silenced. At best they go hiding in the shadows until some fateful moment occurs when they can proudly emerge and proclaim i told you so. They are a sick and sad people.
    Criticizing a non-deterministic event before it has occurred is essentially hating. The very definition of hating is being negative or critical of someone/something.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  16. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Fixed it for you ;)

17. broteinshake

broteinshake Member

All these anti-Melo remarks, and if he actually pulls through and helps us win - then what?? Ya'll are talkin before anything has been done.

IF his acquisition is a bust, I will say that I wouldn't be surprised, BUT I'm not gonna sit here condemning a man who has NEVER played for a squad like OURS before! Right now, how about ya'll spread some good positive vibes for a guy who wants to be part of our Rockets family, and IF (and ONLY IF) things go bad, THEN talk your sh*t to your heart's content

Some of ya'll so pessimistic

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The only argument against Melo is his lack of defense. He’d be a godsend on the offensive end.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So being critical of critical people is justified?

Haters of haters are also haters.

I dun care about other people, I will root for him when he puts on the uniform and is a Rocket.

If he scrams, I won't be his fan and I won't miss him. (He is not officially a Rocket.)

#159 daywalker02, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  20. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

It's a thin line between criticising and hating.

It's ok to have legitimate concerns about his defense, and how he may fit with this team. Those are real concerns.

But to call out his numbers and saying he suck is a little crazy. His scoring (ppg) is almost better than Ariza and Luc combined. And his shooting is better or on par with theirs. Now that's hating

Then calling out his character when all of his teammates that he has played with has said that Melo is a good teammate. Even Prozingus had his back and was mad at Phil Jackson for how he treated Melo. Unlike D Howard, Melo teammates said they like playing with him.