1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Hartenstein impresses Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 5, 2018.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

And all while crying that the Rockets don't develop talent at the same time. Clutchfans never change.

Corrosion, BMoney, Little Bit and 2 others like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

He's certainly big enough and he looks like he's got a developed NBA body (as opposed to Zhou). Also looks like he's got enough tools on the offensive end to be a role player.

The question is going to be his feet. I'm not expecting him to be as quick as Capela, but the Rockets aren't going to play someone that gets routinely blown by on the defensive end. Looking forward to seeing him in summer league action.

saleem likes this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We could have said the same thing about Capela his first couple of years. Developing players takes time. I'm not convinced Joe Chee will add the kind of weight he needs or develop his game enough, but we need to give the coaching/training staff a little more time with him.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No way. Capela was skinny but he could move his feet in the paint and run up and down with men. Capela as a rookie was better than Zhou Qi right now and Zhou is 22 years old.

Nook, saleem and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Way. Capela was a lost puppy who looked extremely awkward on the court. CF was griping about the wasted 1st round pick.

basketballholic and BigShasta like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

He was 19. I was here and no-one expected him to do anything his rookie year. We got him the summer after getting Dwight so you literally nobody expected anything from him.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Little Bit and j3i like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would be good to have another Center version of Schrempf or Nowitzki lite in the NBA.

basketballholic likes this.
  9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think Isaiah Hartenstein is going to be a high-end NBA player, but I think he's got potential to be a decent backup big man on an NBA roster.

He's got size and as a 19-year-old was one of the top big men in the G-League on a per-minute basis.

Still, tough to see him, Onuaku and Zhou all taking up spots on the 15-man roster. That's why, unless the Rockets make a trade involving Onuaku, I could see the team strongly encouraging Hartenstein to play overseas (or better yet, on another G-League contract) next season. But I suppose Hartenstein would not be too keen on that and may force his way into a training camp invite. Something's got to give on that front, I think.

TMac'n, Nook, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It all depends if he shows considerable improvement in order to earn a place on the roster.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I'm not getting my hopes up

He looked absolutely terrible last year

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Terrible? In last year's summer league, absolutely. In the G-League, he was really solid overall.

Nook, topfive, Amel and 1 other person like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but he had speed and some stamina. Zhou doesn't. I admit I thought Capela was a bust as a rookie.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness he was 19.

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

I want Zhou Qi to play this year

Little Bit likes this.
  17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Shawn Bradley was tall also. Got to actually see him play for the Mavs during a home game. Had courtside seats. You could not imagine just how awful he looked in person - it was if he'd never picked up a basketball before that night but hey! was he ever tall. My point is this: simply because the guy is tall and young does not mean that he'll someday suddenly morph into a bonifide NBA player. Looking good in China is one thing. Looking good in the NBA is another thing entirely. It's OK to hope and dream but remember: As far as the NBA goes, hope is not a plan.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Carl Landry didn't impress too much in summer league (if I remember correctly). And turned out well.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why in the f**k does China keep getting brought up in a thread about a German who played in the United States last season?

And who's dreaming? He may be decent - "aw f**k that pipe dream, clearly a scrub"

csj likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is so not true. The kid can play. He's got a long ways to go before he can cover up the areas of his game where he's deficient, but he's got that length and some great instincts when it comes to one-on-one paint defense.

csj likes this.