1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Fertitta disputes idea Rockets used the Trade Deadline to get under the Luxury Tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Tilman can enter self awareness training right now.

Not that he doesn't want to spend it. Just a coincidence that he won't.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

jordnnnn likes this.
  3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Other than he has a guaranteed multi-year contract.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm completely ok with the moves. TF's statement is misleading and unnecessary, though.

BigMaloe, Hakeemtheking, xaos and 2 others like this.
  5. BigBum

BigBum Member

As a small market, Cavs spent 180 million tax.
    As 4th biggest market, tilman should spend at least 50 million tax this year.
    Keep ariza, morey Can deal him 2picks for a good player like Harris.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh no, I got it.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. farhen

farhen Member

screw him! I'd blame him for jimmy's disappointment to the team so far

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

whatta load of crap... spin in full effect...

i dont fault the FO for making the moves they did...

but dont piss on my head and tell me its raining...

...smh...

and dont tell me that MDA would be 'comfortable' and 'trust' most anybody coming in the door (from a buy out or whatever) and guarantee minutes - cause i aint buying it.... see the sig.. ;)

[​IMG]

#188 kjayp, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Who did morey trade to improve rosters from last year since Paul and gordon are declining ?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been much more understanding of their moves than most here.

But this is some Trump level shameless lying, and I don't like it even a little bit.

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not sure who he thinks he's pulling one over on but we all watched the moves. Kinda hard to miss since they were plastered all over the internet.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

So sick of this "we're not going to play more than 8 anyway" narrative. We're going to have injuries and we're going to need tactical options, like every contender since the dawn of time. These things didn't change in the NBA.

Der Rabbi, luckyman76 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I was ok with going under the tax this year, I even defended Tillman a few times since it made sense for me to go under so we could spend more in the next 3 years. But man... this is a blatant lie, and as some posters pointed out, an insult to our intelligence. How stupid is he? Even a monkey could see they just decided to go under. There was no need to waste picks like that if paying the LT didn't matter for him.

What bugs me the most is the fact that there was no downside in telling the truth right now. Everyone knows these moves were made to save money. The people who hate him for that would continue to hate him and people who defended him would keep on doing that. By lying, he made sure that every single person who follows this team knows that he is not being honest with his intentions.

What a moron. What a stupid move.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The owner should have kept his mouth shut. Spinning his tax cutting moves with lies/bs make everyone just hate his cheap ass even more. Champions aren't going to happen if u want to be a cheap ass.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

At this point, I rather we just kept Anderson then give up all of this just to be under luxury tax.

Corrosion and MiddleMan like this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Ya'll don't want to admit it but we're going to eventually turn into the Wizards under Tilman's "leadership"

We're just going be straight up mediocre while paying huge salaries to players who aren't worth 2/3 of the money they're paid.

At the same time we'll be trying to save tax money every year so we can't afford enough surrounding role players.

Der Rabbi and Corrosion like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Ugh....I hope not. I hope Avery Bradely gets bought out.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The question might better be: if one isn't concerned with paying the lux tax, then why just throw him in the bin?

We have 3 open roster spots, 2 of which must be filled by seasons end. What was the gain in dumping him in the bin if paying the tax is of no concern? He could be waived at ANY stage, but the tax would need to be paid. It was clearly a tax saving move to trade him for nothing. Even if he wasn't going to be ahead of Shumpert in the depth chart, one might reasonably assume he would be ahead of an empty roster spot??

Clear tax saving move. Not worth disputing. And hence Tillman is full of crap. Does he really expect us to believe that, had we secured Kief Morris, that he would have signed to play before 21st Feb? That is the 'deadline' to sign someone the remainder of the season and still have enough tax wiggle room left to make another move.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

How do you expect to get a player who will play in return for a player who doesn't oh that nobody wants?

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He was playing here .

At the very least pick up a second . We got a pick swap lol