1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen explaining the purpose/effect of the Courtney Lee move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/will-houston-experience-linsanity/

1. Feigen's report agrees with BimaThug's analysis: that the simplest way to create the necessary cap space to chase outside free agents is to take Lee's salary impact off the books.

2. Feigen notes that the Rockets have a $4.3M 1-year "qualifying offer" out to Lee, which he can technically accept. If he does, he's on the books for $4.3 M, the Rockets lose a good chunk of their flexibiity.

3. So... it is not 100% certain that Lee is gone:

There are two separate issues here: One is the right to match outside contracts (the "restricted" part of "restricted free agent") and other is the "Bird Right" to go over the cap and sign Courtney Lee.

So far, the only thing that's been taken away is the right to match, and not yet the Bird Right. They will most likely need to "renounce" his Bird Right, too, before actually sign Asik and/or Lin to an offer sheet. However, in case that CHI/NYK matches, the Bird Right can be "un-renounced."

Of course, Courtney Lee can sign with any team at any moment and the Rockets would not be able to do anything about it. However, if his suitors are not offering more than MLE money and the Rockets are willing to go above the MLE (or work out a S&T at above the MLE) in the event that their outside FA pursuits are matched, Courtney Lee might benefit from waiting until July 14th and see what happens then.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The Rockets could have a wink-wink deal with Lee, to resign him at a higher price after Lin and/or Asik enter the fold. I believe those 3 would play excellent together. I don't believe any of the SF or PF on the roster (believe it or not) mesh well with those 3 however. Leuer might be OK with Lin, as a pseudo-Novak.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

good move.... but still no superstar, allstar in sight yet

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Because he's a white guy who shoots 3s?:confused:

Leuer's 6-11 in shoes, the same height as Camby, and plays the same position. He can hit the 3pt shot, but he's not a 3 point shooter. He contributes on both ends of the court but Rockets fan are going to rave about his hustle and D if he isn't traded.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

According to the NBA.com official team profiles, Steve Novak is 6'10 and 240 lbs, and Jon Leuer is 6'10 and 228 lbs. Leuer is listed as a Power Forward (also from the official NBA team page; in addition, every game I've watched him play in college and the NBA, he has played Power Forward), which is, incidentally, the same position Steve Novak plays. Leuer also has a smooth shooting stroke, although not at the 3 point line (which is why I said a pseudo-Novak, comparing him to the player who has played best with Lin at the power forward position). They both also seem to be consummate pros. You don't need a 100% match to compare two players, especially when they resemble each other in their physical dimensions.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Hooray !!!!!

In all seriousness Lee is not the answer. Sure he is a serviceable player but he has no upside, and is undersized. If the rockets let him go i wouldn't really care. My only issue with all of this is that they should have traded him before the deadline last season.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, renouncing Lee at this point is a foregone conclusion. Given his cap hold is 5.6m, which is higher than his qualifying offer, the only real reason to rescind the qualifying offer is if you plan to renounce his Bird Rights.

As Carl Herrera has already pointed out, we can un-renounce his Bird Rights if Asik gets matched, but there's no way to make him a restricted free agent again.

1 person likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Murray: King of Nuance.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ha HA This cracks me up every time. Im going to miss it.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

So what you're sayiing is you didn't watch him play at all with the Bucks? Cause he was a backup C on that team this past season.

12. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Carl, they rescinded the qualifying offer of $4.3M - they "HAD" an offer on the table that he COULD HAVE accepted. That offer is no longer on the table so he can't "technically accept" at this point.

Correct? Just making sure... maybe it was a typo, but I'm pretty sure that offer is no longer available to him. As you said, we CAN (because of the Bird rights) exceed the cap to sign him if we chose to, but we can't match other offers.

13. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Well he is still a free agent, which means that the Rockets could still make an offer to him. We still owe his Bird Rights which gives the Rockets flexibility in salary negotiations (i.e., exceeding the salary cap) and the most bang for the buck for Lee.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

BimaThug already explained this in the podcast.

why so surprised, people

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you are missing a big point...which should be your point rather than this CBA talk.

The big point is why now? It's only July 3rd. What is the strategic reason for renouncing him now, when nothing can be signed for another 8 days?

imo, this means Morey has made a gentleman's agreement with someone...Either Lin or Dragic! That is, we are so committed to you and your agent, I will prove to you in capology how this will work now....by renouncing Lee.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jman713

Jman713 Member

I hope we dont bring back CLee,mutch rather have Lamb develop

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

TBD. No one knows how well Lamb, White, Jones, Motiejunas will be and if we landed Lin and he played like he did before injury, we'd have an all-star PG

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Okay. Now that I've calmed down, this is actually not a big deal considering that Lee was never part of our long-term plans. I suppose I am a little frustrated that we never converted that asset into something else, but I can live with it.

Couple of things:
    1). We still have the option of trying to trade for Gordon because the Horents are sure to match the suns' offer. But considering we now look like a rebuilding team more than ever, doesn't it make sense just do develop our you talent?

2). What's the deal with Martin? Going into the season with him as a starter doesn't sound like a rebuilding strategy to me; it sounds like treading water. Could it be that we are not happy with the offers we are getting and are gonna try and trade him at next season's deadline instead?

3). What are we doing wasting our time with Jermey Lin? Isn't it a forgone conclusion that the Knicks will match our offer, regardless of whether or not it is back-loaded?

4). Dragic was our best player last year, and I agree with clutch; he's better than Lin period. I understand not wanting to pay dragic $10 mil, but he's not gonna get that anyway. Why aren't we matching the $8.5 the suns are reportedly offering?

5). Can Lowry and McHale patch things up? At this point it looks like Lowry is our best option at the position, especially considering his cheap contract?

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

2. We need Martin's big expiring salary for the Dwight deal.

3. Lin is a fallback and/or a bluff to Dragic.

4. We will, $9 million per year will get it done.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why do it now? Why not just do it in the nick of time?