1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Does this offense even have a designated playmaker. It's just pick & roll and drive & kick.

2. kchin

kchin Member

STFU bmd!!!

3. calcium

calcium Member

In my rush, I forgot the stats page where I got the numbers for Ariza.
    Check out his numbers for yourself.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=2772

4. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

All in all I'm a Houston Rockets fan. I could care less who is on the team as long as we are winning. Hell he can pick guys up from Fonde and I'll be scratching my head until I can see it on the court. Just from my perspective, I see Morey operating like we are a rebuilding team. I know unfortunate tale of events happen and screwed his plans, but we are suppose to be contenders. I would feel much better about Cannon, Johnson, Dorsey and a NO 1st if we were lottery bound with no Howard or Harden. But there is no way anyone can tell me that those guys make us better than what we had last year and with the ability to add a piece or two to the core (MLE, BAE). I hope I'm wrong and it shows on the court. I'm not some of the crazy ones that think we won't make the playoffs, but it will be a hard push unless, as you stated, Howard plays like he did in Portland series and Harden plays D.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo or Jones, whichever is coming off the bench. Not encouraging.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Parsons was 3rd best starter but Lin and Asik were just bench players

We lost a slashing 3 pt shooter with bad D
    And replaced him with a slashing better 3 pt shooter with solid D

We lost a rebounding and D backup big who wasn't happy being a backup and traded him for a 1st rd pick and replaced him with 2 rebounding and D backup bigs who are happy with their roles

We got rid of a turn over prone backup guard with negative value which nobody wanted unless they get a pick out of it. IMO that in itself is already a positive
    We replaced him with at least 2 backup guards who can take care of the ball, shoot, and who can D

And whoever thinks morey is done improving the team for reg season and playoffs is just plain IGNORANT

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There isn't a single wing worth a damn in next year's free agent class, going to UFA with no possible replacement is a much higher risk strategy than going to RFA with multiple potential replacements.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets may well be able to find a replacement for all 3 of Parsons, Lin and Asik among its current cast. Morey is pretty good at finding below the radar, low cost gems-- including rookie Chandler Parsons himself. But the team is relying on inexperienced and minimum wage guys to fill essentially all of the bench roles in the rotation. Even with a GM with plus record at finding gems, it's asking a lot for him to have found something like 4 of these guys in the same season.

The more important question is where does the team stand even if we do manage to replace Lin, Parsons and Asik. Another first round exit? 2nd round? Does the team have a clear path to becoming a contender then? Doe the team have the kind of environment that would be attractive to that "third star" that Morey speaks so often about?

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Exactly. Now that we know some of Morey's train of thoughts, we can better understand why he got Ariza, Dorsey, Capela, etc... Last year's team was good but soft on many aspects of the defensive side of bb. We will likely sacrifice some offense, but I do believe we will be much more balanced. There is hope.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Everyone is flipping out because of what Asik and Lin once were. Sorry to break it to everyone but Asik missed most of last season and we were fine. And Lin was not linsanity. The production they both had for us on the court (which is all that matters) is replaceable.

If you want to say their draw or "talent level" is gone, that's fine. But their production is very replaceable.

Also. Asik's rebound numbers are inflated because there was a considerable amount of time he was starting either alongside Dwight or the entire time Dwight sat out at season's end.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they are cheap?

12. bmd

bmd Member

Check out his numbers per 100 possessions (to adjust for pace) and you'll see his stats are much more similar every year.

But one thing has been going up the last few years... his shooting percentage.

He's become more efficient, and it's not an outlier.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

DM and Gersson would be scouting this coming Fiba world cup for sure...look for another signing

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is a good assessment, it is true as it currently stand the Rox got weaker.

Ariza=Parsons
    Asik>Dorsey
    Lin>Canaan and Johnson

However, tbh I doubt we will hardly feel the dropoff because:
    1) Organic growth from Harden, Bev, Tjones etc
    2) Greater emphasis on D due to Ariza
    3) Asik's moping and limited mins made him very replaceable

More importantly though we just managed to clear 15M salary and got some exceptions and NOs pick. Once we get stuff from those assets the team will definitely be better.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well if you think about it the Rox actually got cheaper, so if they can reach the same level they were last year then the team will automatically be better once you use those exceptions and pick.

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I agree with all of this, but the real downer is that we didn't have to trade Lin and our 1st rounder. Then our only downgrade from last year would be Asik and we'd have an additional 1st round pick next year instead of just a better one. We would also have more salary to start the foundation for a big salary player trade and the 15M contract would shrink as the season went on thereby potentially reducing the need to add a sweetner.

17. Centerville

Centerville Member

I disagree, and I don't think it's even close. I really could not care any less whether or not there's an Ariza-quality wing (one league-average season in the last five) in NEXT YEAR's talent pool. I'll take my year of Parsons at one mill, with an opportunity to resign or trade him. You'll never convince me that this is somehow higher risk than losing him THIS YEAR for nothing, and then using cap space to replace him with someone like Ariza.

But that's beside the point, because you're not DM. I'd like to see him answer this question in the context of what has transpired and what he says in the interview about the low probability of landing a top FA.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Taking calculated risks is what gives Morey his edge as a GM.

He won big the last two years with Harden and Howard. It was his same approach this year but we didn't get a FA and we lost Parsons. We're all adults; we can take it. We move on to the next step.

So behind the initially puzzling moves to bring back Dorsey and Adrien, there really was a plan in place. I can only hope that everyone on the team is ready to work hard and grow. When the training camp opens, stop b****ing and start playing as a team. That's all we can ask.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

What's your definition of "better"...? Win as many games as last season, and have a stronger showing in the first round...? Is that our goal this year..?

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He wanted to give Parsons his due and pay him his money a year earlier. (He must have made a promise to Parsons last year when Parsons reportedly asked if he could be waived and then re-signed.)

I could understand that logic. Morey didn't expect Parsons (if he wanted to stay with the Rockets) to sign an offer sheet that would be detrimental to us. Still if we had gotten Bosh, Rockets would have matched.

Morey miscalculated and Parsons also miscalculated. Because I don't think Parsons wanted to leave HOU. All his sourgraping now against HOU shows it.