1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I was a mixed bag on the hire but at least I have this post going for me.

eman likes this.
  2. eman

eman Contributing Member

I thought MDA was washed-up as a coach. Never been more wrong. His self-restraint, especially in casting public criticism, is exemplary. Heck, it's a freaking valuable life lesson.

Kudos also to Master GM DM for bringing in EG, RA, and NH-- MGM gave MDA something to work with.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Is there anyway to see all the poll questions you've answered on BBS? I swear I answered a poll that was in favor of MDA but don't know how to find it. I was 100% behind this hiring and told my co-workers to mark my words about how good the Rockets would be this season.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There were two polls on MDA hiring. This thread and another one where Clutch added a poll (after the hire was official). If you voted, you should see an * by your selection. I didn't vote in this one, but did in the other one. Check the other one.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/rockets-to-hire-mike-dantoni.275127/

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

i don't know if EG and RA were DM's decision. I think it was passed down by Grand Master Alexander

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

DM has gone after both those guys for years. he absolutely wanted them

hakeem94 and Louka like this.
  7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Damnn feels great to be apart of the 53ers. The new 99ers

8. Fantasma Negro

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

MAYBE?!?

Don't you remember those plodding offenses under JVG? We had some pretty decent offensive players at the time, but our offense was painful to watch. JVG's been a head coach twice now and both teams were based on defense with grind-it-out offenses. Sure, the defense would have been better under JVG, but the offense would have been nowhere near the current juggernaut.

And don't forget that while some of the changes have been discussed before, MDA is the one who actually got around to implementing them. He's not afraid to try things that might get him laughed at. I love that he's an experimenter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

thanks for clearing that up, then :)

11. justtxyank

In the ringer article today morey states that he has been obsessed with Ryan Anderson for years

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I was really wrong about D'Antoni. Perfect for this team.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

A mutual decision? MDA is a vet coach and was headhunted by Les. His opinion will have more weight than previous coaches under Morey.

Steve Kerr told a story about how he was against trading for Shaq but MDA thought Shaq was what the Suns needed on D. He said the owner agreed with MDA so he made the trade. Maybe MDA is one of those coaches who like to have a greater say in personnel decisions?

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

mutual probably. was just saying Morey made attempts to acquire both EG and Ryno previously while hes been here.

15. today

today Contributing Member

I wasn't in favor of MDA... I thought our per game point differential would be +1 with our defense giving up a ton of points and we would finish with 48 wins.

It's refreshing to be wrong, this team is so fun to watch, especially when we quickly turn defense into offense. Two stops can easily mean a 9-0 run for us.

The Texans surprise me too, unfortunately it's just one terrible QB after another. The best scouting that we can do for the draft would be to have someone steal the Patriots draft board so we can select their highest rated QB.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah maybe. Those JVG teams were not stacked with shooters. No coach can make a guy hit 45% from 3-point land. JVG didn't have a 3 point shooter in his main rotation - unless you count that old man Jon Barry. Everyone else sucked. We had Jim Jackson, Rafer Alston, David Wesley - those were our top guys after Yao and T-mac. All of them in their mid-30's and not known to put up numbers like an Eric Gordon or Ryan Anderson. JVG worked with what he had. Even when RA took over that team, it was still a plodding offense until they significantly changed the personnel. JVG never had Brooks, Scola, Landry, Artest to work with. He didn't have guys who could space the floor for Yao and T-mac (who was never a great outside shooter himself).

MDA is obviously a good coach. It's working out well. But you can't say that things would have been different under JVG. That's impossible to know

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Trying to see if I posted on this thread anything like this

18. justtxyank

No offense to @Mr. Clutch or @basketballholic but this is the BEST thread to read dumping on MDA, dumping on Harden as PG, Rubio slurping, etc.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/what-is-ricky-rubios-trade-value-to-us.276574/

I imagine that Mr. Clutch is mature enough based on his posting history to say something like "well I was wrong" so advanced kudos to you. I was just reading through this and laughing.

Some real gems in there like the holic "reading between the lines" to reveal that MDA didn't REALLY mean Harden would be the PG and people scoffing at Harden averaging 12 assists.

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Cool me too. I meant to vote no, but my cat ran across my keyboard right before I submitted the vote.

JeffB and hakeem94 like this.