1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

NY and LA were train wrecks with or without Mike D

2. bmd

bmd Member

D'Antoni is not a bad coach. He revolutionized the way offenses play in the NBA.

He was set up for failure in New York and Los Angeles.

3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

seriously thought there was no way to screw this coaching hire..

Team needed defense..

Vogel
    Joerger
    JVG
    Thibs

4 coaches that preach defense- Morey himself said they will make their coaching search prioritize on defense..

And the least defense guys is being hired lol- i thought this guys were some smart people..

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I like Messina too but there is nothing that says he'll be a good NBA coach beside working under Popovic. I don't think coaching in Europe really translates over here when the stars multi-millions and are celebs and you get to stack teams with talent.

That too is a risk.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

i would rather take that risk.. Why go back to a coach that has burned birdges- that has not been successful in the last years.

6. cmutt

cmutt Member

Lots of others have made these points here, but yeah, the bottom line is this...

Whether MDA is a great coach, or just a good coach is not the point.

The real crux of the matter is whether the Rockets can gather and surround Harden with the types of skilled players that running a fast, high powered offense requires.

Phoenix had the ultimate PG in Nash, he ran that whole show, and every time he wasn't on the floor, they struggled.

MDA and Nash needed everyone else on the team to be very good shooters, super quick and athletic, great slashers and finishers, and all very good ball handlers and defensive players. That's the only way that team succeeded.

We don't have anything even remotely close to a Steve Nash. We don't have a bunch of good shooters. We don't have enough great athletes who finish strong at the rim. And we don't have enough players with good ball handling skills.

Bottom line... we have 1 or 2 ingredients out of a recipe that requires like 8-10 ingredients. No matter which coach they choose... the Rockets have a lot more grocery shopping to do.

1 person likes this.
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He "revolutionized" offense 10+ years ago. He was set up for failure because only piss poor organizations were willing to hire him since he left the Suns.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this team misses the playoffs entirely next season.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

And that shows you who's running the search!

We're talking about Thibodeau, Vogel, Joerger & Van Gundy (all defensive guys) while the finalists are Mike D'Antoni, David Blatt, probably Jeff Hornacek(before he took the Knicks job) and maybe another guy. (All offensive guys)

Back to those four defensive guys,...

Thibodeau - didn't interview/contact him
    Vogel - didn't interview him
    Joerger - didn't interview/contact him
    Van Gundy - didn't interview/contact him

Thanks Leslie.

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

What about if they are trying to get David Blatt to join MDA as Associate coach- and also hire Lionel Hollins or some defense guy??

Would you guys be intrigued

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

the only way to ease a lot of these minds and rightfully so is to have a well qualified and respected defensive mind next to if in MDA is indeed hired. Other than that theres no way around it. The Rockets will continue to suck defensively and in the end will be no better than this past year.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

no.
    you could put freaking pop, carsile and thibs with JBB/mchale/mda as head coach and it wouldn't work. how about just get the right head coach for once

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

It's better. It's like having 2 head coaches.

13. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Not to mention that those 'finalists' have all had their teams quit on them when they lost the locker room.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes, in order to be able to evaluate any candidate, we'd have to know who will be responsible for the offense and who will be responsible for the defense.

If JVG were to be hired then everyone would expect an assistant to be hired to run the offense. If D'Antoni is the hire then everyone expects an assistant to be hired to run the defense. Without knowing who that would be it's impossible to judge.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

any ideas on some well known defensive minds out there at the moment that could be options? Also it seems a lot of the times the coaches that are hired bring on their own choice of assistants so I'm not sure here

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't even care whether D'Antoni is good at offense or whatever assistants we are going to hire.

What we lacked this past season was not the Xs and Os offensive schemes, although it might help a bit. What we lacked was leadership which caused every player to under-perform on both ends. The head coach is supposed to be the leader and who set the team culture. This is especially true when your star player isn't one who can do that.

D'Antoni is no leader.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well said I am willing to go further and say, D'antoni is a Dwert of coaches

He is all smile and little substance, a lesser Dwert without athleticism in terms of coaching

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The name that keeps being mentioned is Jeff Bzdelik from the Grizzlies.

Other than that I'd just be guessing. I never even considered D'Antoni as a candidate so no reason to think that I'd be any more clued in on who they will bring in to run the defense.

20. ibm

ibm Member

if it's indeed mda, i am definitely done as a fan of the rockets. will not watch games, or post on this wonderful fan site.

until they get things right.