1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Answers elusive as search continues for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You had a healthy luc who had an incredible plus minus. You had ariza and the championship attitude, and you still had a functional Ryan Anderson.

Those three guys have been replaced with scrubs and that's our problem. Paul harden are not enough O and there aren't enough guys to play high energy D

ak99999, daywalker02 and BMoney like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't know what this means but I'll be pissed if they make a trade that sends out future assets just so we can sneak in as the 7 or 8 seed and get wiped out in the first round.

joshuaao, lw17 and Corrosion like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What if they just aren't good at basketball ? And TBH , outside of Harden , Capela , Tucker & Ennis , I wonder if any of them is good at basketball.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not a mystery to me.

Out - Ariza , Luc , Ryno , - that's 85 minutes a game.

In - Ennis - that's 26 minutes a game.

Throw in the regression of EG , GG & Nene and you have a …. bad team.

ak99999 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are in All in mode, we have a two yearish window with CP3 and Harden.
    Swing away Morey, swing away.

DD

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. When the Rockets reconvene for Monday's practice, there might be a long list of areas to address, but two they will have to cover, though they have many times before.

Take care of the ball and the boards.

Saturday's loss offered another clear example of how the inability to more reliably finish defensive possessions with rebounds and offensive possessions with shot attempts has hurt them so badly.

The Mavericks' offensive rebounding, which is to say DeAndre Jordan's dominance of the glass, was clear. He had nine offensive rebounds. The Mavericks scored 20 second-chance points in a game decided by a 3-pointer.

The issue with turnovers was less conspicuous. The Rockets had just 12. They should have more than enough offense when they don't turn the ball over. They were 28-2 when having 12 or fewer turnovers last season. This season, like everything else, that has not gone as well, with the Rockets falling to 3-5 in those games.

Even Saturday, when they generally took care of the ball, they brought more reminders of why they must limit their turnovers. When they had five turnovers in the first three minutes of the second half, the Mavericks marched through an 11-5 run to a five-point lead. When the Rockets committed just one the rest of the game, they led by eight.

They did not finish what they started, but they took some command by taking care of the ball and for a stretch, getting on the boards.

They have been a middle-of-the-pack team through most of the season in those areas. In the past nine games, from one three-game road trip to another, they have slipped badly, ranking 26th in turnovers per game, 27th in offensive rebounds allowed. They have given up the most second-chance points in the league in that stretch, 27.2; the fifth-most points off turnovers, 18.7.

That is far too much to overcome and the greatest reasons the Rockets have lost seven of those nine games.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If length of fandom is important, I'd like to get on the record that I go back to the Rainbow Bread era.

Corrosion and kjayp like this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That must be old school - bc I dont recollect what that is... lol
    I date back to the final days of Moses Malone... i know @Deckard is even older school than that... :)
    i think its like politics... after you've seen the bs enough times - you know when yer being sold a load of crap... lol

Deckard likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No James, you work your way out of it. There's no need to figure it out. You have a slightly less talented team than was in the WCF (replace Ariza with Ennis). There's no thinking required. If everyone puts forth exactly the same effort, this team should be on pace for 50+. Let Daryl do the thinking. If you are exhausted from creating points, do that a little less, and move your ass around on offense and defense a bit more.

12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Lmfao!!!!!!! I hope that idiot BimaThug is reading this. I told his Dumba** that Tilman was a BS owner, who’s cheap AF, and will be one if not the main reason for HOU’s downfall.
    He refused to accept what I said bc of course he acts like he’s the NBA expert. Even after I told him that I had worked for Tilman before and could say from experience that the guy is a horrible owner.
    He runs you to the ground for the minimal amount of money. Some can’t leave their jobs because they’ve been there for years and have invested so much.
    Therefore I can’t blame Morey 100% because he can only do what the owner approves.
    I’ve said it before and will say it again. The great Jerry Buss said it best when Kobe wanted a trade out of LA, “Why trade a 10ct diamond for 10 10ct diamonds”... which is exactly what Tilman and Co. did.
    You don’t resign Ariza (F*** the luxary tax)
    You let LRMM walk (MCW, Melo, and Ennis contracts combined total what LRMM got)
    The best one yet, your biggest focus was bringing in another guard so that you could rest CP3 for the PO, so YOU TRADE RYAN ANDERSON FOR AN UNPROVEN BIG AND A PG THAT WONT BE READY UNTIL GOD KNOWN WHEN!!!! (How TF doesbthis make sense, I see why CP sand Harden are mad AF)
    You also come into the season with Nene as your primary backup WHOM YOU KNEW WASNT GOING TO BE READY TO START THE SEASON AND WHO ALSO SITS BACK TO BACK GAMES!!!!!!!!!!
    What is the solution? Well according to Tilman and DM, you sign a rookie and trade for a bad 2nd-3rd year C (Chriss) WHO DOESNT EVEN PLAY!!!!!!!!
    Damn, I could’ve f****** built a better roster than this moron who has nothing but an MIT degree in a non related field. Too bad you can’t get rid of the stupid ass owner but you can definitely replace the GM with a guy who understand basketball as well as a coach who knows what adjustments mean.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

To me it’s about Pace. Before last nights game the Rockets were 29th in Pace at about 97. The Dallas game
    was at a quicker Pace and now we stand at around 99 in Pace. Only 3 teams are less than 100 after last nights
    game.

I wrote down the numbers, but everytime I log on here scammers take over and kick me out. I will show later how the Rockets were at about 97 last year in Pace and stood at 13th in the league. The NBA has caught up and passed us by.
    The slower pace for quality shot is losing out to the quicker shot (poorer quality) and quantity.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Woah man. No need to get ugly on Bima. He is one of the best members of the board and has contributed an enormous amount.

joshuaao and Mazulis like this.
  15. kjayp

Its a clusterf*ck... and I put it at MDA's feet...

A) This is not an MDA offense - we're running slow, iso heavy, lack of ball movement offense... this looks like a JVG offense w more 3's - without the benefit of JVG defense... Why have MDA if this is how yer gonna play? MDA's benefit is as an offensive strategist... if yer not gonna utilize that aspect - then why endure his defensive (and other) deficiencies?

B) We're old - but insist on running short rotations and not dispersing minutes advantageously... Our slow plodding pace is probably to accommodate our older roster (and allowing harden to catch his breathe)...We gotta pick up the pace - and we're an old team - that requires a deeper rotation... but MDA 'doesn't trust' like half his roster...

"It worked last year" is not an adequate reason for continuing on a path that obviously aint working this year...

A) Pick up the pace
    B) Move the ball around and get everyone more engaged on offense
    C) Run longer rotations with better minute distribution - if guys suck then Morey will have to make some moves - but burning out your starters aint gettin it...

Us and Dallas both went 9 players deep... diff is they had 1 guy above above 32 minutes (26 yo Barnes @ 37)... we had 33 yo Tucker @ 39 mins, 33 yo CP3 @ 38 and 29 yo Harden @37... and we're missing free throws and throwing up airballs down the stretch....

16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

It’s called facts my friend. People sometimes refuse to see the facts and live in fantasy. Like I said, i told him on Twitter that Tilman was a cheap owner who would be HOU downfall and he got butt hurt. Look at this pathetic team now.

17. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Hmm, this is actually a very good point that I haven’t thought about. MDA’s greatest skills as a coach is that he does have some great offensive ideas and implementations. The Rockets offense has really transitioned so that there isn’t that much of what he truly likes to do on offense going on with the team. There’s some stuff in there, but not consistently enough, and not enough to call it a MDA offense.

If one isn’t going to utilize the main skills that D’Antoni brings, there’s little purpose in having him around. The Rockets would be better off with some hard-nosed slow paced defensive coach that just runs a pretty basic give the ball to Paul/Harden and run pick and roll or isolation offense. As Vinny Del Negro proved with the Clippers when Paul first joined, you can produce a top 5 offense with a iso/pick and roll/just give the ball to my elite ball handler and playmaker offense. Don’t need mis-directions or counters or things to set up flow in the offense, you can still be top of the league. Now, it’s usually more work for your players in the post-season, but it is what it is.

I don’t advocate firing him, but I do agree that if a team isn’t taking advantage of his ideas in terms of pace and ball movement and flow, then what’s the point of having him around, especially if you are struggling on defense, since he is not an innovative defensive coach.

kjayp likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

It's called being an ass.

HP3 likes this.
  19. kjayp

another classic example of trying to make your personnel fit your desired system - rather than tapering your system to maximize your personnel's strengths...

we're constantly trying to shove square pegs into circular holes... lol

ie: u want to shoot a bunch of 3's? Great - go get some 3 pt shooters....

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This team isn't going to "Figure it out". It will just be like the shitty 15-16 season where we end up as a mediocre team struggling to get into the playoffs except we won't even make the playoffs this year because the west is significantly harder than it ever was before.

Honestly, this is a great time to just blow it up and go full tank mode for the next couple years. Look how ridiculous the west is right now. Unless the NBA reconstructs playoff seeding starting next year, it's pointless to try to make an injury prone CP3 on the heavy decline carry this team with Harden. It's just not happening. If we start the tank now, we're still in it for a top 5 pick.

Fans and execs probably don't want to face the facts but the championship window is closed.

In the end, it's not the fans fault or the players fault. It's because of Morey's bad contracts and Tilman for not bringing back the same team. Morey should take the most blame because it all started with that horrible Ryan Anderson contract that led up to so many problems down the line. D'antoni also deserves blame for not being able to adjust to the new personnel.

J.R. likes this.