1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Perfect, these two are my same targets, imo the only players worth to spend that money considering that would put us in tax territory, and we know that at least Green is someone the Rockets already tried to get so, we know they like him and he's probably one of the few guys they're keeping their eyes on.

The problem is they might very well have much better offers out there, or maybe they prefer another team for whatever reason, the point is, why complain about the situation? If the Rockets can get that substantial upgrade they'll likely do it, just like they would've do it if they could've get Butler. If not, i think they're right to stand pat, overpaying a random end of the bench scrub is not going to help us so, yeah, i really hope the Rockets spend the money only if they can get a player who's worth it, otherwise i don't see why it's a bad idea to just keep some flexibility. Signing guys just because we want to see soemone new around is not going to help.

treyk3 and HP3 like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I hate to tell you ariza may not be the only one we let walk. I can 100% see us letting ego walk next summer when he gets a big payday elsewhere and we will "replace" him with a cheaper contract for rivers. then replace rivers with another minimum contract.

I don't see us trading ego for the same reason I don't see us trading CP3. we won't get equal value on the court in return. we have to stay competitive for the illusion of trying to win. just stay under the tax, any free agent who wants a big contract will be let go, there's always a minimum contract guy that outperforms his salary waiting to replace them.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Here depends on the players you like, like, for me Holiday is an interesting target, but for the minimum, i wouldn't pay him with the MLE. If you look at the contracts that teams gave away in the last two days, i don't really know who we could've signed that was actually good and in the range of our possibilities...maybe McConnell, but we have Rivers in the same spot and signed at half of the money so, i think we did a good job there already. But like i said, when you see guys like Joseph get 13M per season, i think it's safe to say we just didn't have that much of a choice.

All things considered, we got House and Rivers on 5M basically, two solid players who can come off the bench or even start if there's the need, that's pretty good if you ask me. Then of course, i'm the first one that hopes something else is coming, but considering what we had to work with, i think we did fine so far.

Y2JT and RudyTBag like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, let's get hard-capped as fast as possible just so some Clutchfans can feel better.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

At all costs lol Tillman try again.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

My problem isn’t not using the NTMLE, my problem is making excuses already as to why we aren’t using it. They already promised a shiny new player with it. Don’t use it just to use it but shut up already. Work in silence.

Relativist likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

They don't want to use the $9.2 NTP MLE because it'll hard cap them. (About $5.7M remaining after signing House)
    Problem is, they used a majority of the $5.7 TP MLE on Danuel House (About $2M-$2.2M remaining or basically the veteran's minimum)

They like Javale but don't want to dip into the NTP MLE ... so here's our $2M but Lakers/Clippers/whomever can offer more.
    And they like Iguodala but know they aren't getting him via buyout, so they'll attempt to trade for him.

If your plan was to only use the $5.7 TP MLE, why did you give a majority of it to Danuel House?

and this too.

Feigen: But the "significant addition" pool of free agents has virtually dried up.

Of course it's dried up now. Because apparently you got bad info on Jimmy Butler & then spent a majority of it on House.

And on Iguodala, seriously? You're gonna throw away another 1st on 35/36 year old Andre Iguodala, who will be a free agent after the year?

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's fine and I don't entirely disagree, it just seems really weird to reply to a thread about adding a $17-million Andre Igoudala with that.

HP3 likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

But again, who were you going to sign with the no tax MLE? Carroll at 6M when you can get House for half the price? Curry at 8M when you can sign Rivers for 2M? Now i don't really remember, but i don't think there were a lot of solid players that signed for less than 10M...even decent bench guys like Lamb, Joseph and Ellington costed like 10M, that would've been a waste of money.

On the promise made about getting a great player (or whatever Morey said, can't remember exactly now) i agree with you, no need to say that if you don't know if you can actually make it happen.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, that’s being stupid. They are talking about trading a 1st for him because if he’s released he’d rather be somewhere else.

There are plenty of other examples to highlight the owner being cheap though.

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

BUT FEELINGS?!?!?!

HP3 and biff17 like this.
  12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Also, folks are asking “who is left that’s worth using the mle on”. The better question is who was all available at some point that we coulda used the mle on that went elsewhere.

bmelo likes this.
  13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I have a very hard time believing we would TRADE for Iggy at 17 mil at year. What would that be with the tax?

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

And if someone overpays Eric Gordon as hard as the Suns overpaid Ariza, I will once again applaud this Front Office for their wisdom.

The "illusion" of trying to win. GMAFB. You're so much better than this.

Chris Paul's hamstring snapped. Accept it. It sucks. It didn't happen because of our Front Office's illusory magic not-winning optical parlor tricks.

HP3 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Our 1st would just burn through Morey's pocket if we didn't bro.

16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

If we trade for iguodala we can I believe re sign him for next season for a good amount. If we get him with a buyout you have tons of competition and you cant re sign him the next season since we are over the cap and could only offer him the Tax payer MLE

If they are seriously trying to do a trade for iggy then that is a sign of tillman is really putting his money where his mouth is.

Y2JT and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are indeed getting younger, oh well, Iggy.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How many players on the current Rockets roster, if money were equal and they were free agents today, do you think would prefer to be in Houston? I'd guess maybe 50% of the roster, and that might be generous. For most teams, it's closer to 10% or 20%.

Most players are where they are because either they were drafted there, the GM traded for them, or they signed there because that team offered the most money.

It's not a huge indictment (or surprise) if a player has 1 or 2 destinations (out of 30!!!) that they might prefer to be at than your team, if the money is equal. It's really not a big deal, unless there's some indication that they're not going to be professional about it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Doom n gloom, u guys are silly. If we did absolutely nothing with melo not torpedoing our start we gonna at worst be 5th seed. Harden along gets u in the playoffs. Having guys that know the system gets u 50.wins easy lol. Yall.tripping

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.