1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh okay, got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly I would rather take shots at multiple players .

If we trade for Iggy aren't we hardcapped ?

I mean maybe if hartenstein and Clark look great then you do it .

But I don't think Iggy has it anymore .

GS bubblewrapped him the entire year and he was still physically worn down by the end of our series .

Yes he hit big shots , but isn't that exactly what defenses give up because he's a suspect shooter .

Is he "clutch" or did he just get hot for that small sample size ?

I know he's smart , I know he will be a solid defender when healthy .... I just question how much that will be ... it's not worth spending 17 on him vs picking up 2-3 potential contributors with the MLE and bae as well as vet min pickups .

I dunno if we can do that if we trade for him .

Maybe @BimaThug could go into cap specifics , but in not sure this rumor is worth his time

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

its no secret the rockets have been after iggy. he was the #1 FA they wanted 2 years ago. they have an opportunity now to get him at minimal cost. i think this rumor is worth a bit of time because it does have a realistic chance of happening.

whats been the theme for alot of these FA's. get them a couple years down the road someway somehow ;)

ReturnOfTheMac and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

What do you mean minimal cost ?

Getting him severely limits getting any other players .

If we think he's gonna be healthy enough to play at a high level then maybe it's a good risk.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having a 17 million dollar expiring contract is not severely limiting, imo.

D-rock and sammy like this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Its a pipe dream we get Jamychal Green but when you are so desperate for quality players to come to your team you say anything.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

unless you think switching him out for shumpert isn't minimal. I mean shump played well in the playoffs, thankfully but even I don't consider him a huge priority.

and i dont see how that severely limits getting other players, when iggy is a big expiring deal

#327 YOLO, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Iggy reminds me of a desperation Ed Reed signing. It’s fine if he comes as a bonus player, but if he is touted as your biggest acquisition and supposed difference maker it’s probably going to backfire.

mastan likes this.
  9. rockets13champs

Not even close. Do you watch basketball?

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think so, yes

D-rock, J Sizzle and mastan like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Difference here is he’s still an elite defender, unlike Ed Reed at the time.

He wouldn’t be the savior but I’d be more than willing to bet he’d be a positive addition at a position of need.

#331 J Sizzle, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    ReturnOfTheMac, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

They could not have "easily approached" Redick's deal on an annual value basis ($13.3 million), which is what matters most. And most people around the league did consider House's contract to be a relative steal.

Maybe because you see the path involving House and Shumpert's Bird rights as more lucrative? If they land Iguodala, I think I'd prefer House and Iggy to any one player on that list.

It wasn't "net neutral" in terms of salary. It would have added anywhere between $3 and $4 million net to the 2018-19 payroll, which almost certainly would have pushed them well into the luxury tax (they ducked under it by a fraction of that). And yes, things can change when players walk back on wink-wink deals, but there aren't many instances of teams pulling back their offers. Otherwise, their rep would take quite a hit. I'm quite confident that Tilman greenlighted a payroll including Harden, Paul, and Butler at 5 for $190M.

This was your exact wording, from the prior post:

Are the Rockets really attempting to take on salary/IGGY via trade? No clue... but if I had to bet, just like with Butler last year and just recently, I'm betting against it.

You didn't say you doubted the likelihood of Morey being able to GET Butler or Iggy. You specifically said you doubted they were really making the ATTEMPT to do so. That's a massive difference. If you're trying to walk that back, fine, but the reason I objected so harshly was because saying the Rockets aren't "really attempting" to take on salary/Iggy by trade is pretty much saying Feigen's article at the top of this thread is a lie.

Teams do due diligence all the time. Also, players fail physicals (just look at D-Mo), and other teams can change their mind late in the process (just look at Memphis and the Temple/Green trade). If there was an organizational mandate to avoid the tax under all circumstances, then yes, waiting until the final 18 hours is pretty dumb and irresponsible.

13. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I had a bad thought earlier.
    What if Morey gets the deal done, then Iggy pulls a Derek Fisher and refuses to play here?

14. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Lol well thats a dumb thought. He would probably never see a dime again after a stunt like that. Fans would hate him. Hed be toxic.

15. rockets13champs

Iggy is also a Finals MVP, and 3x champ something ed reed isnt

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Super Bowl champion
    9× Pro Bowl
    5× First-team All-Pro
    3× Second-team All-Pro
    Defensive Player of the Year

3× NBA champion
    NBA Finals MVP
    NBA All-Star (2012)
    NBA All-Defensive First Team (2014)
    NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2011)

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If this happens, I'm hoping Iggy can help mentor House into becoming a better defender. It also takes away another potential Harden defender from another team.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any chance we can sign Ed Reed too, maybe Joey Dorsey? We could have the Ray Lewis of basketball and the Ed Reed of Ed Reed!

txtodd likes this.
  19. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Lol the Ed Reed era. Good times mang.

J.R. likes this.
  20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Perhaps Redick takes a rockets offer of 3/32 or 4/40, perhaps not... the point is the Rockets lost the chance to even approach Redick and others by signing House with the MLE so early.

If the Rockets end up with House and Iggy, that's fine and a perfectly reasonable/successful haul. I wouldn't even grumble if they'd fail to get Iggy, or failed to signed Redick or whoever else at the start of free agency. But not using the oppurtunity at the start to engage all the other possible free agents, seems a poor strategy. IMO House would have still been there on July 2 or even 3rd. Rockets played hardball with him last year, but weren't willing now? The BAE of 2 year 7+ million for House who's never made more than the minimum is too weak an offer that they'd have to immediately cave to giving three?

FACTS - The Rockets were already well over the tax prior to the trade. They were only able to get under by dumping Knight Marques for less salary.

Facts - brandon knight (14.6m) + Marques (3.2m) = 17.8 million - Jimmy Butler (19.2m) = -1.4 million.

The trade DOES NOT "significantly" increase the Rockets payroll. What the Rockets may or may not add after IS NOT part of the trade. They could've added (as they did) only 2 way or partial minimum contracts or they could've added nothing at all. Regarding wink wink deals/walking back/5 year 190, I've no clue and didn't bother to guess one way or the other, because its impossible to know the future. Your confidence or assumptions are not reality.

You seem to skip a bunch of words to get to your inference, Is that the definition of taking out of context lol? "Are the Rockets really attempting to take on salary/IGGY via trade? No clue..." hmm the words no clue seems to be right after AND slightly substantive to the question. Likewise the phrase immediately following, "but if I had to bet," a clear conditional statement. An obvious hedge, but somehow you've skipped that as well as just like with Butler last year which is clearly referencing the Butler trade attempts, which I've acknowledged as failed attempts and am clearly comparing the Iggy outlook with. Perhaps that transition was worded poorly, but even then, merely not believing a single Feigens article doesn't come close to "believing everyone is lieing to me or being paranoid lol"

reference the KOC tweet I posted. The Rockets obviously didn't wait till 18 hours before starting to try to trade Knight/Chriss. The trades were completed at that time. Again, as long as its done prior to the deadline, what difference does it make?