1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

False, as far as "avoid paying tax" being the reason.

They didn't use it, because Morris and Matthews thought the fits in OKC and Indiana were better. Houston's biggest mistake was believing that MLE funds would give them a leg up on buyouts, when we have ample evidence that the top buyout guys generally go for fit over money (since it's 1 year and they're double dipping).

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

I’m down for a one-year shot with Iggy. I think he’s strong for one more run, and a definite 3-&-D upgrade over sChump/Clark/GG. Murray, gitrdone!

Easy and D-rock like this.
  3. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Hes 35. Lmao at soon to be 37.

4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

To avoid tax? False. We aremt going to be under the tax line this year. Thats why they worked hard last year to extend a contending window 1 more season without sacrificing anything on the contending team

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Cheap is relative. Y'all both make fair points and we'll just have to wait and see how committed they are to improving vs saving. But Tilman has complained or justified his lack of spending by saying that he's not a $20B owner. So, it's understandable from a personal financial standpoint, but as a Rockets fan, it sucks to know that the constraint is always present. I wish we had a team owner who didn't have any spending constraints, or Tilman was worth 4x his current value, because he's implying that if he was much richer then he wouldn't care about the tax.

I also land in the cheap camp at this time because he viewed the Butler trade not only from a basketball lens, but from a business lens. Stars give a better return for the money, so Butler was worth tax from a revenue generating standpoint. (Some Tilman quote iirc)

TheFreak and cmlmel77 like this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

and if they don’t get Iguodala? Will we hear more “but they tried, which really shows their intent” vs actually looking at what they did?

But let’s see. I hope I’m wrong. The second I see them ACTUALLY EXECUTE something, anything, that shows they will do “whatever it takes”, I’ll back off. I’m tired of words and almosts. At some point, you are what your actions say you are.

TheFreak, RichieBanks and Corpusfan like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure we could have used that 9.2M NT-MLE …. but it hard capped you and that meant essentially filling out the roster with minimums and getting nothing for Shumpert's bird rights.

Spending just the 5.7M T-MLE …. you can still use Shump to improve elsewhere and if you cant extend EG you aren't limited to taking in less salary than you send out.

It boils down to 1 upgrade with the NT-MLE to the potential of 3 for the NT-MLE.

IvanLCPM and Nelly like this.
  8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The action at this point is that they're literally negotiating with Memphis as we speak to try and hammer something out for Iguodala. I mean, if they fail on this, don't have another Shumpert S&T plan, and don't use the NT-MLE, then yes. Freak out all you want, and it'll be justified.

I just don't see the point to jumping off a bridge (metaphorically) on July 4 when this very thread tells you what they're working on right now.

Nook and Corrosion like this.
  9. cmlmel77

No, we are not (and I’m not the guy who brought up Golden State).

You also don’t know what those “attempts” contained. The four firsts for Butler included other salary outgoing. What exactly are they offering for Iggy? Are you sure a) they really are offering, and b) they don’t have a different way to slash money?

When they’ve done it, then we can believe they will do it. Until then, it’s all talk and speculation ... and the not even all of the talk supports your idea (the owner himself is bragging about not being in the tax and crying poor).

I know you are an insider, and I appreciate you want to trust the guys you talk to and your optimism, but it strains credulity to always be this close to going all in, but never actually doing it.

TheFreak, Icehouse and Corpusfan like this.
  10. cmlmel77

We’ll see. I’m not jumping off a cliff - I’m accepting the objective reality of what has happened. On the other hand, this thread is speculation without detail. I’m also speculating, but I have history on my side.

Bookmark it and come back in a few months when three more things “fall through” and the Rockets squeak under the cap.

#250 cmlmel77, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Corpusfan likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , that would be a real waste - Shumpert's bird rights are what's left of multiple assets starting with Ryno / Melton / BK/Chriss / 1st.

It would be a shame to let that go to waste ….

I think its fairly likely they do retain Shumpert …. but with only the first year fully guaranteed.

Retaining him almost certainly puts them over the tax line , MLE or not.

I just wonder what they do with what's left of that MLE …. I'd really prefer a 4/5 that isn't McGee.

Also wonder if they are planning on Hartenstein getting any consistent minutes , that might change how I spend that MLE , if he's ready.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think this cheap narrative has been overblown …. and I contributed to it.

You look at what they did in ducking the tax and it appeared cheap was the only logical solution. Looking at it from our perspective , it was going to be hard to improve the team with the limited assets they had and so many players expiring and only the MLE and vet min's to fill out a roster.

Cheap , It wasn't … They were setting the dominoes up for a big play in Butler or someone else along with another acquisition with the ability to S&T Shumpert - Iggy isn't the only available play here , there are quite a few others out there you could go get with an expiring and a pick that can make a real impact.

Butler may not have worked out …. but I have to give them credit for trying. Considering the cap situation , the Rockets shouldn't have even been in the conversation for players like that but they were / are , almost every time a big name comes up , the Rockets are in the middle of it.

And lets not forget , that trade opportunity still exists with any number of other players going forward. Its possible they parlay those assets they planned to use on Butler into someone else between now and the deadline.

You cant win if you don't play …. and the Rockets are always in the game.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed. it boils down to a guaranteed upgrade Vs potential for upgrades.

we morey is able to convert on that potential they it would've been worth it. if not, it would be a swing-and-a-miss to let a guaranteed upgrade (using the NTMLE now) go by.

my vote was to use the full $9.2M and the BAE. 13 teams are currently hard capped this season its not a death sentence. imagine if we spent the NTMLE on Jamychal, BAE on Jeff Green, and add a center with size for the vet minimum like McGee, koufos, gortat, Noah, chandler, etc...

capela-gortat-harty
    jamychal-clark
    tucker-jeff
    harden-ego-gerald
    CP3-rivers-ponds

we would be hard capped but we'd be the best team in the league, with maybe the best bench in the league, and with no real reason to make any more trades this season.

Fiah and Icehouse like this.
  14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Any other Ex warriors benchwarmers available?

15. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

WE would be hard capped and right up against the hard cap with no moves to make for an entire year under any circumstance. Whos to say any of those players wanted to come to houston. I love how people just put in players names like this would have happened and this player would have come. Jymichal Green is not that good dude. He fouls like crazy and is a poor defender. Couldnt even stay on the floor first round of the playoffs last year. Jeff Green is a forward version of lou williams. He really actually doesnt fit. You are thinking in the right now. Running a team is not like that.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't know players who are starters and play half the game or more are known as bench warmers

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I mean we could play The Who's-To-Say game both ways. who's to say we can find a S&T for Shumpert for a decent role player? maybe we end up with nothing but "flexibility."

yes, I just threw some names out there to illustrate my point that these are the types of players we could have gotten. you don't have to get caught up on the exact players used as examples. I could have looked up a list of all of the MLE signings this summer and typed them all out, along with a list of vet minimum signings that we could've out big using the BAE. feel free to insert your own favorite MLE and BAE players into our roster. one's that you think play defense and are good fits.

you're right that its an assumption that any of those players would want to sign here. however, if you think that none of the MLE signings this summer would want to sign here then you believe the rockets have deeper problems regarding attracting free agents.

finally, yes, I'm thinking of right now. our MVP is 30. if now isn't the time to go all-in and try to win-now, when is that time? sometimes running a team isn't about keeping options open in lieu of ever committing. sometimes its about knowing when to shoot your shot and this season is a great time to do that.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Iggy is washed man... Obvioisly im exaggerating when i say benchwarmer but i dont like us just chasing after the Warriors trash. Iggy is a 9th man at this point in his career and Mcgee is like a 14th man.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Andrew Bogut
    Quinn Cook
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Marcus Derrickson
    Jonas Jerebko
    Damion Lee

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im sure Morey is on the phone with all of the trash ones!

J.R. likes this.