1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Anatomy of a deal: How the Rockets landed Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 22, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

madmax11 = negative spin doctor

1 person likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL my fav line in the article, and shows why people like SAS who accuse Lin of being all about the money are total hypocrites. Lin is a professional b-ball player, and just like any rational human beings him and his agents want to get paid as much as possible. If SAS had pledged on tv to donate his salary to help pay for the Knicks' lux bill if they keep Lin then maybe he could have had a right to b**** about Lin turning down a chance to increase his livelihood.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

When I was reading that part, I was like hmmm. That is illogical.
    Hey Jimmy I am so sorry to offer you more money, would you be open to that? I am surprised you were ok. MIT guy taking a shot at a harvard athlete?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's exactly what I was about to post. That is the most idiotic thing I've read in a while (and I've read some idiotic things lately). It should be the league's responsibility to enforce its "laws" and not allow a team to make a mockery of its rules and regulations. At least do it for "basketball reasons".

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I would have liked to hear this conversation,
    Grunwald called Lin, 23, and told him, in a conversation that lasted less than a minute.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Excerpt from SI article:

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Check out who owns the Golden Nugget and you'll know why the Rockerts stay there.

8. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You're pathetic. You and your lame ass sig can get the hell out of here. Its one thing to be proud of an Asian brother succeeding, but worshipping him and bandwagoning on to him is just lame.

9. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

isn't it that the landry's restaurant group owns it or something?

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So the Rockets decided on April 17th they were going after Jeremy Lin "no matter what."

via Jonathan Feigen: http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/anatomy-of-a-deal-how-the-rockets-landed-jeremy-lin/

On April 26th, they started the fan movement (#HouLovesGogi) to keep Goran Dragic in Houston.

https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/195723402374422528
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rockets fans,tell Goran Dragic how much U want him 2extend his time with Hou. I will get your message 2him. Hash tag <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523HouLovesGogi">#HouLovesGogi</a> in reply</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/195723402374422528" data-datetime="2012-04-27T03:57:50+00:00">April 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't add up. Both would need to be starting point guards here. Sounds to me like their efforts to keep Goran were half-hearted, seeking to get him on the cheap.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

#HouLovesGogi = #HouLovesHometownDiscount :)

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It sure looks like it, an attempt to tug at the heart strings of Gogi (and the fans, for that matter) to stay in Houston, but there was NO WAY they could have gone after Lin had they signed Dragic, and vice versa. Both wanted to start.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Grunwald: i will have the chicken with broccoli

Lin: dude i dont own a chinese takeout. You know i play basketball

Grunwald: not for us anymore you don't...hahahha...oh god im sorry jeremy its just that dolans pissed at you and making me say these things for him...anyway good luck

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The article expressly notes that the Rockets all along thought their chances of actually GETTING Lin (i.e., the odds of New York not matching any offer sheet, no matter how huge) were very slim. Even after giving Lin literally the largest three-year deal possible under the CBA (and making it the most "poisonous" offer sheet to the Knicks humanly possible), they were skeptical of actually getting him until the very, very end. (FYI, so was I.)

Re-signing Goran, I believe, was a good faith attempt to bring back a productive player. I don't think it was "half-hearted" or a sham or ruse by any stretch.

Also note that the team was going to try to get max value in trade for Lowry, so having both Dragic (quite probable heading into the offseason) and Lin (very unlikely at the time but still worth a shot) as the two PGs seems to have been one of the many variations of their PG plan going forward. (Note that both Dragic and Lin have the size to match up against some SGs, so I think they could have played in the same backcourt together for long stretches, like Lowry and Dragic.)

So, to recap the Rockets' thoughts on the PG situation heading into the offseason:

--Lowry: Was being shopped for max value, but the Rockets were just as happy to retain him as the starter. Not 100% likelihood he is back next season.

--Dragic: They wanted to bring him back but realized that many teams would be willing to "overpay" for him in free agency. Made a good faith effort to re-sign him to a four-year deal with either a team option or a partial guarantee, stopping short of giving him a player option on the fourth year. Probably a 60-40 chance of bringing him back going into the offseason.

--Lin: They really liked him (both as a player and likely as a marketing tool) and wanted to make a legit run at him in free agency, realizing that the odds of both Lowry AND Dragic returning was well below 50%. However, they realized that the odds of getting him were slim to none. ACTUALLY getting him was a pleasant surprise to the Rockets.

For the Rockets to gameplan only around Goran Dragic (while shopping Lowry and pursuing their "puncher's chance" for Lin) would have been short-sighted and foolish. You HAVE to have more irons in the fire than that. The Rockets did, and they at least came away with Lin and an almost-certain lottery pick.

Good for them. We'll see what happens.

P.S. This article at least makes me feel a little better about my "trumpeting" of Lowry as THE MAN on the morning of July 5. Let's just say that I had on good authority late, late the night before that Lowry was the guy in Houston and that they would move forward with Lowry as the starter. I conveyed that both on Twitter and on this BBS, only to see the Rockets trade Lowry THAT VERY SAME DAY. This article at least sets the timeline up so that, at the time I was given my information, it was THE TRUTH. Only later that day did the Toronto deal truly come together (due to Nash heading to the Lakers). I'm glad to know that my information was accurate at the time and that I'm not QUITE the fool I was made out to be on July 5.

1 person likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Morey was clearly being sarcastic to the reporter. It was supposed to be funny. "SHOCKINGLY, they accepted more money! :eek: :)" That's the tone it's supposed to be taken in.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sounds like they were hedging their bets knowing that there was a good chance that Goran would walk based on what they already knew they were not willing to offer, the 4th year.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Do not forget our propensity to play two point guard lineups. I have no trouble believing Lin was on the target list based on that fact. Lin was probably a target right behind Deron. Remember Morey's comments about needing two playmakers on the floor more often and about liking the Lowry/Goran lineup.

In my humble opinion, the ideal scenario Morey was looking at was trading for Dwight and having the cap space to go after Deron while keeping Goran's birds rights in hopes of convincing Goran to be third banana to Dwight/Dwill. While Morey may not have had in mind to trade Lowry for a lottery pick, you cannot deny that Lowry and everybody else was on the table when it came to trading for Dwight. With no Dwight trade, I'm sure Morey would have been happy going into the season with Lowry starting and either Goran or somebody else at the 2.

Keep in mind, you're never going to hear all the options Morey has or is considering when he is giving a rundown on his thought process. There are always thoughts unspoken always avenues not uncovered or explored.

#37 jopatmc, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

For me, the most interesting part is how the Rockets thought til the very end that NYK would match. It shows how much of a no-brainer it was for the Knicks to keep Lin. I'm sure the Rockets more than the rest of us have crunched the numbers and know exactly what keeping him for the Knicks would mean. So all this stuff about paying too much luxury tax is likely pure BS from Knicks end.

Dolan threw a tantrum, Melo made it known his distaste for Lin, etc. and they made a move based purely on emotions. Regardless of whether or not it's the right move, it must really suck for the fans to have a team run like a club than a business.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd say the odds of keeping Kyle Lowry are around 100%, if you want them to be. Under contract and a bargain... nothing was out of the Rockets' control there (though I've believed for months the plan was always to trade him -- <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=223054">Machado said as much</a> and I'm sure Lin knew the same).

So this is just about Lin and Dragic, in my opinion.

As for Dragic and many teams being willing to overypay him -- he took a market value deal. The Suns got him for $7.5M a season, less than what Lin got on average. The Rockets say the fourth year was the sticking point, but we don't know what their actual offer was. They may have lowballed Dragic and thought they would give Lin a shot via the poison pill offer or, as you said, keep Lowry. Either way, I doubt there was the same urgency in keeping Dragic that they wanted fans to feel on April 26th.

As for Lin and Dragic playing together --- At the end of the season, we saw how well Lowry and Dragic, two players who both expected to start, worked out for the Rockets... about the same as Brooks and Lowry in 2010-11. One can thrive, the other is going to pout. The Rockets didn't have a "guy who expects to start but will actually be the backup and play some two" hole to fill here.

Dragic and Lin were both free agents -- which one was going to willingly sign with the Houston Rockets knowing the other was in the fold?

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dolan has been an owner who is willing to spend money on his team . . . no matter how foolish the expenditure is from a basketball and cap standpoint. I agree, this was emotional for Dolan somehow. He could have waived Kidd, Camby and others (frankly, anyone other than Melo and Amare) in 2014 using the Stretch Provision in order to mitigate the tax hit.

Meanwhile, Les Alexander was willing to spend up to $21 million in waiving Luis Scola using the amnesty provision in order to help the Rockets' long-range plans to try to build a championship contender. He ended up being on the hook for $17.5 million for Scola NOT to play for the Rockets . . . all for the good of the team, as painful as it is from both a financial and an emotional standpoint.

People need to lay off of Les a bit. He's a good owner.

#40 BimaThug, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012