1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feels like Adelman is overacheiving with this team, with a $20 million roster hole

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by code_red, Mar 23, 2009.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Welll, I really liked JVG and the beaming energy in his little body beside the court and his dark humor, but JVG heavily heavily relied on Yao and Tmac. He had a Yao of 25/12 caliber and a Tmac 25/6/6. His record without either Yao or Tmac was horrible. He also had a horrid record drafting and developing young talents. To me JVG is very one dimensional.
    RA is very underrated. Remember we were all panicked last at the end of Feb. last year. BB's no way playoff thread and other hundreds I don't know what RA is doing with his top secrets thread. We were proved to be wrong.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At least get your facts straight. Rudy had a 24-19 record before he quit and few of those games were without Kobe because of injury.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

But remember the roster that time was horrible as well. Juwon Howard was basically our 2nd best player at that time. If I was in that position, I'd rely heavily on Tmac and Yao Ming as well. Of course, part of the blame goes on JVG himself for getting ex knickers (Wesley and Strickland anyone?), but by the time DM arrived on the scene JVG had focused completely on coaching (i.e. He said he had nothing to do with the Battier trade).

I guess the reason I'm not impressed with what he's done is because the talent is so amazing based on paper alone I expect us to already be among the top teams in the league. I'm still reserving judgement on RA. It really looks like he doesn't know how to manage PT and make game time decisions, and that could be our undoing come playoff time.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

The fact that they had a so-so record proves that the team's performance isn't all on the coach. If Rudy T was so great and the only difference between good players and scrubby players is the motivation from the coach then why didn't they win the championship that year?

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They were 24-19 before Rudy left and 10-29 the rest of the way. I say having a good coach had a lot to do with it.

The season Rudy had cancer, the team was firmly in the playoffs and only missed by one game. Our record without Rudy was 5-11. I say having a good coach made a difference that year also.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

They all were on the bench for at least a quarter or half of the beginning of last season. Roughly around the time the team started winning is the same time Brooks was brought up from the D league (partially out of desperation), Scola was finally made a starter over Chuck Hayes and last but not least Carl Landry started to get playing time.

It isn't as if he magically saw their potential and started playing them. And at least with Scola JVG would no doubt have put him on the court after seeing what he can do.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

No, I do know what I'm talking about. Under Rudy T the lakers played a total of 41 games with the Lakers before having to retire due to a combination of stress and his cancer acting up. During his tenure the Lakers were on pace to 40-something wins, enough to get into the playoffs but not enough to do anything more than be fodder for the higher seed. That for is oblivion/limbo/no-man's land because those kind of teams stay in that state until that teams implodes and has to start rebuilding all over again (see Twolves with Garnett and the Memphis Grizzlies with Battier and Gasol). If Rudy hadn't retired mid-season and caused the Lakers to go into the lottery, they would have been a middling team for quite a while, as evidenced by PJ having nearly the same record the following year.

The point of that statement was not to blast Rudy T (which apparently quite a lot of you worship despite the fact that he's now consulting for the Lakers), but to prove that coaches aren't the bottomline when it comes to winning. If Rudy T was indeed a great coach, then how come he wasn't able to "inspire" Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom into becoming Hakeem Olajuwan and Clyde Drexler part deux? Obviously then there are some other factors involved with winning other than coaching, which was the point the original poster was denying and the point I was arguing against.

You need to take the context wherein the statements were made into consideration, and not see a line you disagree with and immediately jump to conclusions. That's how the whole "I was Tmac in greece" rap against Vspan started, and although he sucked he didn't deserve the hate and bashing he got out of that.

8. lostfans

lostfans Member

the only scrub we have is Tmxx

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes the coach has a lot to do with the team winning or losing. I'm not denying that at all. In fact I attribute a lot of our losses this season to bone-headed moves made by Adelman. However does saying that the coach makes a lot of difference equal to

"What's the difference between a decent role player and a scrub?

HOW THE COACH USES/MOTIVATES HIM!!!! [In some case how the Star Players Uses/Motivates them]

This is why I *hate* the ole "BUT THEY HAD INFERIOR TALENT" Argument.
    SEE JVGOF AND TMACOFs . . . . .
    IF JVG had these players. . . . IMO . . .they would not be as good . . PERIOD!"

The original poster was saying coaches make ALL the difference in terms of team performance, and that Scola would somehow suck balls if JVG was coaching instead of Adelman. C'mon now!

10. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Obviously, the OP hasn't watched much Rockets, that is why he calls the rest of the team outside of Yao and Artest scrubs. He goes by Yao's and Artest's popularity to call them decent players.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WHHHOOOOOOTTT!!!!
    THERE IT IS~!!!

Rocket RIver

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have serious doubts he would play
    and
    d*mn sure would not be playing like he is now

PLAYERS WHAT WOULD NOT BE PLAYING or at the least Playing at the same level under JVG
    A Brooks
    C Landry
    V Wafer
    K Lowry

JVG Starting Line = YAO, HAYES, Battier, TMAC, Rafer
    and
    when Tmac went down it would be
    YAO. HAYES, BATTIER, ARTEST, RAFER

Bench would be DEKE, Barry [cause he'd still be here] and then Scola

Landry, brooks, Wafer would be riding some serious pine

THIS I DON'T DOUBT AT ALL

Rocket River