1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Whipping Boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 22, 2009.

?

Who is the biggest whipping boy

1. Matt

12 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Francis

28 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Cato

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Mike James

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Tmac

141 vote(s)
    48.1%
  6. Ariza

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. rafer

74 vote(s)
    25.3%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

With all this Tmac hate I am wondering who most consider the no 1. whipping boy in the post championship years.

1.) Matt Maloney - He got 18mil for hitting a a bunch of 3s in a playoff game

2.) Steve Francis - Dribbled too much

3.) Kelvin Cato - 10's of million of a preseason game

4.) Rafer - Those damn tear drops

5.) Ariza - Jacks up too many shots/ high expectation

6.) Tmac - Damned if he does/ Damned if he doesn't/ he is just screwed

7.) Mike James - It was a short one

8.) Other - I am not sure who I have missed

2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

It's T-Mac.

3. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

T-Mac could have 50pts, 10rebs and 10 asts and people would say he was stat padding.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

TMAC for sure, there is like a billion threads going on with the same topic.

I would also say Shane gets blasted pretty good on a regular basis too.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The amount of venom directed at Steve's first go around w/ us..... gotta be him.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So many candidates, but it would have to be Rafer Alston.

Honorable mentioned to McGrady, though.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Right now it's T-mac, but over the course of their Rockets careers it's gotta be Rafer. For years T-mac was our superstar and was treated as such but for as long as Rafer's been the starter people have been clamoring for him to be replaced, seen as the weakest link in the starting lineup, terrible shooter, etc.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no mention of luther?

he might possibly have had the longest tenure as a whipping boy.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good call.

In terms of career whipping totals, probably Rafer Alston or McGrady. But as far as whipping/minute, its Luther.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Only few guys say some nasty things about Shane. In fact,more than half of the board gets up in arms if any constructive criticism about him is mentioned.

12. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Hollinger ratings?

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Seeing even the site owner getting passionately involved in Rafer criticism, will have to go there.

Moochie Norris/Luther Head tied for backup point guard bashing and having humorous names

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Ariza?

LOL.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Really, because I constantly read about him not producing, losing a step on D and the Gay/Battier conversations still pop up from time to time. Not saying he is the worst or even close to it but specially this year I've seen a ton of negative stuff about the guy.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it has to be tmac.

people has the nerve to say (cough DD cough) tmac "coasts" on defense to pad his stats on offense.

he gets hate when he plays well/bad, tries to play/sit out. Like the OP said, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

the others, well, get criticized b/c they simply are not very good for the most part.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Rafer Alston, Stromile Swift and Yao Ming.

19. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Rafer without question.
    I guess people thought if we had someone other than Rafer we would go all the way? Or was it how everyone played off him in the closing seconds and he always seemed to have to hit a wide open three in close situations, when everyone would have rather watched Yao or TMac take the last shot. And Rafer hit alot of those shots, although he always got torn into for the ones he missed.

Luther Head, although he was clutch during the regular season, no-showed two years in the playoffs. Probably because he played pretty well in the regular season expectations were high for him, and he got alot of the blame for those Utah series losses that were particularly painful. But I don't think he got the hate day in and day out like Rafer did.

It saddens me that people are trying to make Shane into the new whipping boy/albatross. Although maybe its just a sign that there really isn't anyone good to goat on this years team.

I don't know what to call the TMac situation. People are complaining about him for being injured? For being a premadona? For being a ball stopper? For not rehabbing? For not being a team player? For not hustling? For not playing defense? For having horrible PR/ being a poor speaker? For not getting out of the first round? They think he is a looser? Does he deserve to be ISO'ed? To me he will be second to Rafer, only because TMac used to get love, and he is good enough that I believe he will get love from the fans again.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People forget how bad it was whipping Skip to my Lou. He was a good contributor.
    Rafer's been the main culprit all the way. Tmac's major bashing started last season.