1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite music groups and genres

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DVauthrin, Aug 8, 2000.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Favorite Genre: Blues

Favorite Artists: Freddie King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Frankie Lee Sims, Albert Collins, Lightnin' Hopkins, Slim Harpo, Marcia Ball, the Meters.

------------------
    Bring It!!

2. Steve_Francis_rules

RocketMan Tex:
    Can you suggest any specific songs by these artists that I could check out?
    Thanks

------------------

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

No particular order: Beatles, Yarbirds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Who, Rolling Stones, The Cars, Rush, Police, Metallica, Celtic Frost (okay, not really), Stevie Ray Vaughn, U2, REM (at least, Document and back), 10,000 Maniacs, The Jam, The Smiths, The Smithereens, LA Guitar Quartet, Eliot Fisk, Liona Boyd, Al DiMeola, Caberet Voltaire, Skinny Puppy (pre-Viva Sect VI), Front Line Assembly, Manufacture, Clock DVA, New Order, Erasure.

Never thought I'd ever like country, but I've been listening to some Dixie Chicks stuff and also Brad Paisley (really good album, IMO).

Also like stuff like Sinatra and even Big Band music.

------------------

4. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

2Pac is the greatest rapper of all time. But DMX is probably my favorite one that is still alive.....

Alternative-Kottonmouth Kings, 311, and even Bush, back when they were popular.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Traj,

Clan of Xymox?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer: Nirvana is what everyone uses to define alternative. One could argue that heavy metal in the early 80's was alternative I guess, but alternative was not a legitimate genre until the 90's and the emergence of Nirvana, Pearl Jam and others despite the fact that bands like the B52's, They Might Be Giants and the Violent Femms really opened the door for anit-cool to be cool which used to be the definition of alternative.

They are definitely rock music also but so are Lit, the Foo Fighters, Korn, Metallica, etc. It is ALL rock music and, technically, all pop music too.

I hate categories anyway.

Supermac34: Damn straight!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

I guess my definition of "alternative music" is different than yours and others.

When someone says they listen to alternative music, I think of "New Wave", "Techno", "Club/Dance". Obviously, New Wave is an 80s term, but that's what I think of when I hear "alternative".

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, because I guess I could be associating the wrong definition with alternative.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I see your point DREAMer. I guess I think of it as the Alternative Radio Chart type stuff which doesn't have any dance music on it. It includes everything from Lit to Korn, etc. Dance, Techno and Industrial actually have their own Radio Top 100 (Billboard Dance) which is quite different. Bands like Erasure wouldn't really fall into the alternative category but they are definitely dance.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Sure....

Howlin' Wolf - "Evil"
    Slim Harpo - "Ti Na Ni Na Nu"
    Muddy Waters - "I'm Ready"
    T-Bone Walker - "Stormy Monday Blues"
    Lightnin' Hopkins - "Shotgun Blues"
    Albert Collins - "If You Love Me Like You Say"
    The Meters - "Rigor Mortis"
    Marcia Ball - "Hot Tamale Baby"

That oughta get you movin' & groovin'!

------------------
    Bring It!!

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

hey thanx everyone for replying. Do you guys want me to do a poll for favorite genre/group similar to the peoples choice awards cuz i will if you want

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

11. TraJ

TraJ Member

Mango,

Haven't heard a lot of their stuff (and probably 10 years ago or so since I've heard anything), but I do remember liking it.

------------------