1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Movie Twists & Surprises

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yahoo! is talking about the plot twist in the new movie "Hancock" released last week. Don't worry, no spoilers are given in the article below. In the process, it lists some of what it considers the best film twists and surprises along with the article. It got me to thinking about what everybody thinks are some of the good twists and surprises in all movies. List your's too.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080707/121543770000.html

A Will Smith movie packs in millions of people over Fourth of July weekend. No surprises there.

Yet Smith's "Hancock," the tale of an anti-social boozer who happens to be a superhero, comes with an abrupt plot twist, one that has divided critics and the moviegoing public in the real world (Critics and everyone else can't agree. Now there's a real surprise).

For those who have yet to see "Hancock," we won't give the secret away, but it has something to do with why Charlize Theron's soccer-mom-style character doesn't want Smith's surly superhero anywhere near her family.

Critics generally thought the turn the movie takes halfway through was a cheat, spoiling what had been a promising idea that was a fresh twist on the superhero genre in its own right.

The people who turned "Hancock" into an instant blockbuster beg to differ to the sum of $185 million worldwide at the box office in just a few days.

The plot twist in "Hancock" won't go down in cinema history alongside Darth Vader revealing he's Luke Skywalker's pappy in "The Empire Strikes Back" or Anthony Perkins turning out to be a slasher in his mom's housedress in "Psycho."

However, it does give us a chance to buzz once more about the really great curve balls and maybe a wild pitch or two that Hollywood has tossed our way.

Here's a look at some of the most memorable screen surprises, in no particular order:

MY GIRL: Has there ever been a stranger what-the-heck moment than the revelation that the enticing woman Stephen Rea lusts after in "The Crying Game" really is a guy? The dreamlike gotcha gesture delivered from beyond by Forest Whitaker's character was directed as much at male audiences everywhere who had to hit the reset button on their manhood after falling for Jaye Davidson as a hot new screen goddess only to learn he shared their XY chromosome makeup.

THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS US: How do you turn an utterly forgettable movie into one for the ages? Let Charlton Heston learn that the super-food of the future is made of humans so he can bellow "Soylent Green is PE-E-E-OPLE!" And don't forget the "Saturday Night Live" skit about a "Soylent Green" sequel where Phil Hartman impersonates Heston, learning that the powers that be didn't change the recipe like they promised, so he can holler "It's still PE-E-E-OPLE!"

HEAD IN THE SAND: Heston gets to curse out humanity in general in "Planet of the Apes" as he stumbles on the noggin of the Statue of Liberty lying on the beach and realizes he's been on Earth all along but in the distant future, after his species has blown itself up. Tim Burton's remake substitutes a terrible twist as astronaut Mark Wahlberg makes it off the simian world and returns to his planet, only to find a monkey named "Ape Lincoln" sitting on the Lincoln Memorial.

POOR BRUCE IS DEAD: With "Breakfast of Champions" and "The Story of Us," Bruce Willis' career might have been dead. But M. Night Shyamalan kept him alive by killing him off in the opening moments of "The Sixth Sense" but concealing that fact so completely that movie-goers were shocked into seeing the flick again and again after they learned he was a ghost. Audiences were somewhat less than shocked with Shyamalan and Willis' next surprise ending superheroes are real! in "Unbreakable."

READY FOR MY SHOWER, MR. HITCHCOCK: Perkins as his own mother has enduring shock value, but Alfred Hitchcock pulled a true stunner earlier in "Psycho" as the killer snuffed Janet Leigh, the movie's lead character up to that moment. That's like Dickens having Oliver Twist die of cholera in chapter three. Who do you root for when the heroine gets tossed in the trunk of her car and submerged in a swamp?

KEYSER SPACEY: As prime suspect Gabriel Byrne lay dying near the end of "The Usual Suspects" you just had to wonder "Well if it's not him, who the heck is Keyser Soze?" Watching Kevin Spacey transform from the grubby, gimpy little Verbal Kint into world-class criminal mastermind Soze in the space of one city block is one of those moments that makes you think "Yeah, this is why I like movies."

MY SISTER, MY MOM: Incest turns out to be the stuff of one of cinema's most artful surprises at the end of "Chinatown," when we learn that Faye Dunaway's little sister also is her daughter. And we get to see Jack Nicholson slap the information out of her repeatedly in a climax that's nothing short of a gut-punch.

MISSION IMPERTINENT: Speaking of slaps in the face, arguably the worst plot twist ever comes in Tom Cruise's first "Mission: Impossible" tale. Millions grew up watching Peter Graves' noble Jim Phelps run the Impossible Mission Force on the small screen. So when Jon Voight's Phelps turns out to be the bad guy in Cruise's version, it was disrespectful of both the source material and its fans. Why didn't Cruise just play Phelps himself, but as the hero everyone remembered the character for? Maybe Cruise was afraid that, like Graves, he would wind up hosting episodes of "Biography" in his golden years.

2. red

red Contributing Member

wolfman has nards...

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The 6th Sense was the last time I think I was totally taken by surprise by a twist ending, so I like it. Unfortunately, I knew about the twist of Planet of the Apes befor I ever saw it since the movie is so iconic, but I imagine I would have enjoyed that.

That's all I can think of right now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Chinatown, that would have shocked me if I hadn't read about it in Syd Field's book, Screenplay.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I second The Sixth Sense.

Also, Empire Strikes Back. Back then, in the absence of *spoilers*, no one saw that coming.

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Not a movie, but I still remember my jaw hitting the floor when Samus was revealed to be a woman in the original Metroid.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The ending of Arlington Road (RIP Another Brother) shocked the hell out of me.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yes when my friend and I finished playing that game we both look at each other and both said "WHAT???!!"

next day at school we were telling everyone and no one believed us until a few more kids beat the game

8. droxford

droxford Member

I remember a mediocre movie called To Live and Die in L.A.

At one point in the movie (not the end of the film), the lead character gets killed. I remember thinking, "Hold it - he just got killed..... they killed the lead character.... and not at the end of the film.... did he really just get killed? WTF? That's weird. Now what is the movie gonna do?"

I also liked the movie Wild Things which has a LOT of plot twists. Ya go into that movie thinking it's just gonna be some hot chick skin-flick... then it's like, "hey - Matt Dillon is in this".... "Hey - that's Kevin Bacon" .... "That's Bill Murray!"... "That's Robert Wagner!".... what are these stars doing in a skin-flick. Then, after a few lot twists, you think "wow - this thing actually has story!". Don't get me wrong, it's not academy-award stuff, but if you watch it thinking you're just gonna see hot chicks and nothing else, it's refreshingly surprising.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

"Shattered" owns this, even with 6th sense

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i'll go with Minority Report. I thought that movie was underrated too.

and The Departed

i wont say sixth sense cuz i watched that with my friend and 30 mins into it he goes
    "is bruce willis dead?"
    .......otherwise, i didnt see it coming.

11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Fight Club threw me for a loop... I had to watch it several times to fully catch all the subtleties of that movie.

And Identity - not a stellar flick, but surprising.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

thats a good one
    When Costigan got capped coming out of the elevator, that really threw me for a loop ......in fact, at the end, I knew Sullivan was going to get his, but couldn't figure out who ....Scorcese did a good job making the audience forget about Dignam

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Fight Club
    Wanted

14. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

The ending of The Mist is one hell of a surprise and twist.

15. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The end of Primal Fear.

16. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Agreed, I love that movie. Also, The Count of Monte Cristo which I believe went from book to a movie but yeah an amazing movie with quite a surprising twist.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The usual suspects had me going for a long as time...damn Kaiser Soze

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Well there are the usual suspects like....uh......The Usual Suspects. 6th Sense, Fight Club, Identity and Empire Strik Back are all good ones too.

One of my favorites is Lucky Number Slevin. Talk about a change in tone. That movie goes from a semi-light hearted comedy to a much darker flick in an instant. The best thing is that it isn't an awkward change. Awesome job by the writers. Thats in my top five.

While its not necessarily a plot twist, the end of Carlito's Way sticks with me. After the whole chase, you don't really see that outcome coming.

Does Big Lebowski count? I mean it was a ringer for a ringer.

Those are the ones I think of right now.

I do have to say though that I am tired of M. Night's "twists." It was cool in 6th Sense and one or two of the others, now it just seems annoying. Maybe its just me though.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

the prestige. one of the best endings ever!

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Damn I forgot about that one.