1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Free-to-play PC Game(s)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChankMcStank, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

For mobile games... Total Conquest is a game like Clash of Clans that is available on every platform. If you link it to your Facebook account it syncs your gameplay across all of your devices. I play it on my Windows Phone, Windows 8 laptop and Surface 2 and think it is a better game than Clash of Clans - especially art style and graphics.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/total-conquest/ed008a30-2cd9-4ce4-b355-de1bfdfa5268
    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/total-conquest/44933481-c95f-48e6-80ae-bf07829d462b
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftKIHM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-conquest-online-combat/id529829305?mt=8

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

TF2 by far... even though i've been playing since orange box.

3. New Generation

If you play with groups of friends a lot, try Garry's Mod. It's a massive collection of sandbox games that just leaves room for imagination and fun. As long as everyone is chill and not looking for an adrenaline rush (although it can get intense), this will be good for you.

http://www.garrysmod.com/

4. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Not free, brah.

Anyways, I just tried Path of Exile and it's pretty damn awesome. Much better than Diablo and Torchlight. Although, that gigantic chatbox was damn annoying with the constant spam. Got my Ranger to level 15 and the skill tree is definitely miles ahead of those two other games.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What a bad opinion.
    <br>
    I still play League of Legends. But season 4 is whatever.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Just untick the "Global Chat" and "Trade Chat" checkboxes.

7. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

I am rank 135, am i addicted? :confused::(

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I just started playing Path of Exile. Been really needing an MMORPG fix and prefer 2D action RPGs compared to 3rd person (WoW).

It's been pretty fun. I think I'm only level 10 after playing for a couple hours last night. I chose the Shadow class. Anyone else still playing this?

9. lean

lean Member

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Puzzle and Dragons is more addicting than many console and PC games. It helps that I can play it during slow periods at work, but even at home it is often my game of choice.

11. Drexlerfan22

I'm taking a break from it, but expect to get back to it at some point. At the moment I'm busy checking out the Diablo 3 expansion, replaying Final Fantasy X in HD, and Dark Souls 2. So it'll be a little while, but I'll get back to Path of Exile. I certainly wasn't bored of it.

You have any thoughts on how you're going to build your Shadow? Focus on Cast on Crit maybe? Go more of a summoner route? It's best to decide early on what you're moving towards, though you want to put a lot of points in life/survivability early on regardless.

I went with a Duelist who mostly uses Spectral Throw, Leap Slam, and Double Strike Sort of a vanilla melee build, really.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've been focusing on the dexterity tree for melee, DPS, and attack speed so far. Not sure if I'll really dabble too much into Intelligence and spell-casting, but being new, I'm not too sure of what build or skills to gem. One of my favorite attacks so far is Whirling Blades because it rips through mobs, but like I said, from my limited experience, I'm not sure where to take my build.

I wish they would provide you with a respec option when you get to a certain level other than a few spec reallocations because you don't really know where to take the build until you're more familiar with the class.

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It's not free to play, but I have been playing Civ5 as a second job the last few weeks. I am at about $0.10 per hour so far. In another year, it'll be about $0.02 per hour. Not a bad deal at all...

Civ5 is awesome.

14. Drexlerfan22

Yeah, I suppose that's what it's going to be like for most new players. You haven't really used enough of the skills yet to know what works for you, and hence where you're going. And the beginnings of the game can be deceptive in that you might think one thing works well, but that's just because the beginning of the game was so easy compared to end-game. Not to mention, there are some key skill gems you probably won't obtain until high levels, that people base entire builds around (Cast on Crit and Cast on Damage Taken are great examples of this).

I kinda did the same thing where I focused on offense first, and that ended up making things pretty tough on the 2nd difficulty in particular. You don't really understand how critical it truly is to have very high resistances until the 2nd difficulty, for example. For most characters that's gear-dependent, but there are other things you can do to get that up on the passive tree, and/or you can choose it in the act 2 bandits quest (definitely recommend taking the resistances or the life boost there, instead of the mana or the skill point). But yeah, I was focusing on getting stuff like life regen and mana regen on my armor, when I should've been focusing on grabbing all the resistances I could.

If you're not interested in playing through multiple characters, it may be worthwhile for you to glance through some build guides over at the official forums. As you say, there's no full re-spec. If you find out your build is really bad, there's nothing else to do but start over. Some people live for that, but I'm the type of person who would probably just throw my hands up and quit if I found myself in that situation.

15. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

wow i play path of exile too lvl 18 or so I play a witch its pretty fun, the tree is just massive I get lost trying to find which way i want to go down.

16. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers (armour games)

17. Drexlerfan22

The Witch I actually found to be the toughest class to play, for me personally. She was awesome early on, but by the time you got to act 3, you just don't do much damage unless you focus an ungodly number of your points on crit power. Unless you're going pure summoner, which I hear is really powerful, but I haven't tried it. I played a witch until act 3 and then quit playing her, because my build was so bad.

If you manage to build an effective high-level witch, you'll have to tell me how you did it. I'm clueless on the Witch. :)

18. rawool

rawool Member

I picked up League of Legends during the Christmas break. I got my friends playing too, so it's fun for me. I wasn't a fan of MOBA before.

I've heard of Hearthstone; will try it soon.

19. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Ill try, does the game get more item dependent later? It seems like its really skill point based. Im just going straight fire damage. No summoning at all. We will see how it goes. There is so much useless stuff for a witch on the board though you have to navigate around those.

20. Drexlerfan22

Having better gear definitely matters more later, though with casters, the armor matters a lot more than the weapon. You can build a great character, but if you have a sucky weapon it's hard to do well as melee. Whereas with the witch... power doesn't scale with a wand's physical damage, it's more about your passive tree, stacking crit, and how you configure your skill gems on the offensive side of thems. Your armor still does matter though. The thing you will really need out of your gear, besides crit, is those resistances. So important. You'll also need enough energy shield to keep yourself from getting one-shotted by things later on. There's that keystone passive that makes leech apply to energy shield instead of health, that's something that might be a good way to go if you can get your energy shield high enough.