1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iOJtfSsNFeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have never spent money on cheaper brands of cologne. I guess it's generally a bad idea to order cologne that you haven't smelled, particularly in the largest size available. I will probably wear the Mont Blanc on less formal occasions.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I got your message and am more curious than anything, but I saw this on Amazon and may eventually give it a whirl. It's a small bottle size, but at around $5 (shipping included), it seems pretty cheap, so it's not bad for a blind buy. With what Creed costs, I'm going to be pissed if it smells too much like it. :grin:

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It smells exactly like Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce. Your friend is correct in that it is safe, boring, economical, yet effective. It may not be the most interesting, but you will smell good and women love it.

Considering Pure Malt for NYE tomorrow night. brb 10 sprays to gas out the entire bar (jk... kinda)

Interesting, but it was tough to take this guy seriously lol

I wouldn't call Mont Blanc a 'cheaper brand'... IMO they are on the same level as all the other designers you would find at Macy's/Sephora. Mont Blanc Legend is very versatile, I could see it being appropriate for any occasion. You are right that it is always better to sample though. Next time go to Sephora first... they will make you samples of whatever you want to try.

I think the one on Amazon is the roll-on oil... not sure how that compares but I got the spray bottle. I have official carded samples of Creed SMW and did a side-by-side... I think you're gonna be pissed ;) In fact, the cheapie actually seems much more potent (after all, it was made in the UAE)

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Haven't decided on my NYE scent yet... will be prepartying at a friends place then bar-hopping. Temps will prob be in the 40's. It's between Aventus, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, or YSL La Nuit. What do you guys think and what will you be wearing to ring in the New Year?

6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

How do ya'll apply cologne behind the ear with a spray bottle?

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I've never done this, but if I were to try, I guess I'd either do half-sprays or just spray onto my fingers and then spread it behind the ears?

8. Apps

Apps Member

I guess the conventional way is to spray on your wrist and then dab (never rub) behind the ears. I personally prefer a couple sprays to the chest, but whatever floats your boat.

9. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

That's how I've tried it.

I usually do chest, wrist, or neck, but I saw a post a while back in this thread saying to try behind the ear because it's a pulse point similar to the inside of the wrist. Good for when you know you'll be getting close to someone.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure I've ever seen a scent that gets both praised and mocked as much as Aventus. :grin:

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I know. When I first went to sample it at NM, I WANTED to hate it due to the fanboys and overhype, but it immediately won me over. The olfactory fatigue is pretty annoying on this one though... sometimes I can't smell it after 2 hrs but other people can smell it 8 hrs later.

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

bumping over all the other garbage threads currently in the hangout. mirin?

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

YO sorry I just noticed this.

So, I actually do not work way too much with Macy's (I do sometimes) and my info on their exclusives isn't the best :/

Sorry I'm not much more help than that on this one loool.

OH GNOMO. BTW. I never mentioned this (I don't think) but shortly after you hyped John Varvatos Acqua I got some. It's probably my current favorite. Thanks!

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL I never even smelled it, was just mirin the bottle. There's still very little info about it... the one review on fragrantica said it became a skin scent after an hour. True or false?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My $4.86 tiny roll-on bottle of Al-Rehab's Silver came in. It surprisingly does smell like SMW. Not completely, but maybe 90% a copy of it. There's something in it that's a bit more strong than in SMW, but I can't put my finger on it.

17. Apps

Apps Member

I have Al-Rehab's Sultan, actually. Somebody on Basenotes compared it to Rochas Lui, because of its "cedar bomb" quality. I've never tried Rochas Lui, but after having tried Sultan I am dying to. Too bad Lui is discontinued (and pricey).

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Nah that's definitely not true.

I would go try it. The bottle is aesthetic as fuark. When you spray that first spray it just hits you so nicely. Fantastic smell. Has that signature John Varvatos uniqueness too.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just got the following :

Serge Leutens Chergui (EdP) - it's powdery, and I don't usually like powdery, but I like this. Tobacco, sandalwood, flowers, and some sweetness. The smell reminded me of Bvlgari Blv which I bought over a decade ago, but I didn't care for that one because it was a powdery/chemical smell after a while. This is easy on the nose. A pretty even smell with nothing overly dominating like Blv. It smells different as it dries down - nothing drastic, but if you take the top off and smell it, that's not what it's going to smell like at all after you've worn it for a few minutes. It's a unisex fragrance. I haven't tried it on myself yet, but will probably do so this week. I'm starting to dig Serge Leutens' line after getting this and Santal Majuscule.

Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris (EdP) - haven't worn this yet - just smelled it. I'm kind of scared about this one. It smelled good when I hit some Kleenex with it, but I swear the scent had turned weak within an hour - I could barely smell it. I this doesn't turn out to be a bust since it smelled pretty good. I may wear this one to work tomorrow. Pretty interesting bottle, too.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm a HUGE fan of this one. Must've been the Kleenex because the performance for me is great even on my dry skin. Opens kinda unisex/feminine, but once the leather comes thru it loses that feel.