1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite clubs for live music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Feb 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

true da!

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

early-mid ninties were pretty solid... especially the punk/ska scene

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I never said the scene didn't suck, just that it's not fair to compare it to Austin.

I think a lot of acts go through dallas and not Houston because it's farther north and less out of the way when you're touring across country. But I'm sure some of it is due to a lot of lesser known acts not being able to sell tickets here. I'm certainly not naive to that reality.

Also, dallas is in close proximity to UNT, which is one of the better music schools in the country. A lot of that talent bleeds right into the dallas scene.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

thegary:

I basically agree that the Houston music scene sucks and always has (well, except for blues and hip hop). I'm just saying there was a strange renaissance for a few years there.

As for Houston having colleges too, it's so so so not the same. Houston has colleges yeah, but they are basically Rice (where students virtually never leave campus) and UH (which has no organized college life whatsoever). Also, because of the sprawling geography of the city, there is no organized, off-campus life for students at all.

UT basically IS Austin. It's apples and oranges.

The Houston music scene (like the entire underground arts scene here) has never relied on colleges in any way except for radio play on KTRU (a station that has very little to do with the college on whose campus it physically exists). At the peak of the music scene here in the last several decades there were maybe 20 geeks from Rice that went to shows (and none from UH) and they were all in bands themselves.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yet another "wahh, Houston's [insert whatever] sucks" threadrobbery taking place. *yawn* Dude asked for favorite clubs for live music... not what city is best, or everyone who has a complaint 'chime in'. So freakin' negative. Interesting perspective by RMtex, btw.

Music scene was pretty good here in the 90's... of course, music was generally better in the 90's too. jmtc. Funny, I would be curious to know how old the people are who think it's never been good here... or maybe what kind of music you like. Batman is right, there were some good clubs then...

But there's been, and still are, a few good clubs to see a good band now. I heard Engine Room is closed. It was a good place to see a show, and saw some of my favorite bands there. Damned Ike :( . I second Meridian being decent, it's not bad and has had some bands that I like. Warehouse Live is a fun place to see a show and would be a better choice imo. House of blues is a nice place, small, and a good time, but tickets tend to be somewhat expensive (as well as the beer) I guess due to the smaller venue booking somewhat better known acts. Saw Los Lonely Boys and B.B. King there, and both were good shows. I hear firehouse saloon is a fun show, but never been there.

We don't get out to see a good band much these days, kids will do that, but still interested to hear what others think are good places to see music in Houston. Hearing why they think it's terrible, not so much.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Thank you Sir.

I kinda wish I lived here during the early 90s. I've heard that the alternative scene here was good at that time, and I was actually playing jangly REM-like alternative stuff at that time while I lived in Los Angeles. When my band from back then toured through Houston, we played Fitzgeralds. That was in 1992.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Fitzgerald's was so much fun. Have been there so many times, had a few of my friend's bands play there, may even have seen ya there.

Wonder if there's anything like it [was] still around.