1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Father speaks with his new transgender son

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How about this... DO an act. If that act is victim-less, no one should give a ****...especially the state.

So when a 50 year old man wants to **** a 5 year old that would be under the realm of NOT victim-less so we ought to give a ****.

Why do people just refuse to use common sense?

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People are sure as hell allowed to cut on their bodies, tattoo them, medicate them, etc.

Now, Roger Ailes may think he is a six-year-old girl, for all we know. Actually, you are asking about the actions these people do, not their self perceptions.

Generally fifty-year-old men do not share beds with six-year-old girls, period.

Weird that you attribute culture to individuals and attribute reality to "us" and the medical profession. So, what is "our own reality" again?

Coz my reality is that that crybaby father is a huge pu$$y and he's severely shaming his son by acting like such a pu$$y. And my reality is that people like Donald Trump and Dick Cheney are psychopaths, and our culture is indeed responsible for allowing these people not to be locked up as criminals, while some dude who cut his junk off gets people's panties in a bunch instead.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Did you read the article I linked? It claimed a study found suicides were much higher for people who had surgery. Accommodation in a delusion would certainly fall in line with surgery. If you ever run into someone with a delusion disorder it is a fine line to walk between not arguing, but also not enabling the delusion.

4. Bandwagoner

Do you have anything here except conjecture? We are talking about giving kids life altering hormones, mutilating adults, and no improvements in outcomes. Two options, if someone can be transgender, current medical science cannot help them change sex. If it is a delusional disorder, the current treatment is much more harmful than psychotherapy, which can be an actual cure. Psychotherapy on homosexuals, leads to much worse outcomes. Not the case here. This thread is conflating them.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Suicide rates are also much higher among gun owners https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/. Police also commit suicide 1.5 times more than the average person http://www.officer.com/article/12156622/2015-police-suicide-statistics. We don't make policy by looking at suicide rates, because correlation is hard to prove.

Imagine the transgender son in this thread commits suicide. Maybe it's his dad's fault for the dad's shameful behavior on national TV. Maybe the son was unhappy before he transitioned and would have killed himself sooner without transitioning? It's hard to show a causal connection, and even if we did prove causation, "elevated risk of suicide" is not usually grounds for policy making.

6. supdudes

supdudes Member

I find it more irrational for a person to presume they know how a person, or a group of person feels.

Yes, I did state the person's actions which I find personally distasteful.

The new slogan of the current era should be. "Judge a man not by his actions, but by his interpretations of reality."

I will agree with you on one thing though. If these people's reality clashes with mine, then I don't need to "get my panties up in a bunch."

I simply ignore them and go about my awesome life.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I think we have reached agreement!

8. Bandwagoner

We don't use outcome as a basis for decision in clinical treatment? Are you sure? Why did the FDA issue a antidepressants' black-box warning for young people. Under what metric do you think they looked at to see if placebo or drugs had better outcomes. Preventing suicide is extremely important in mental health care and will continue to be used. Paxil isn't approved for children under 18 because it shows little benefit and can increase suicidal thoughts. You treat based on outcomes not what will make someone happier.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Antidepressants are prescribed by doctors. If doctors prescribe that people should have transgender surgery or buy a gun, yes, I think the outcomes of those prescriptions deserve closer scrutiny.

But when someone is making a free choice to try to improve his/her life, not at the advice of a doctor, I don't think we have the right to say "You can't get surgery" or "You can't buy a gun" just because of suicide statistics.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sometimes you just have to take the hit and acknowledge that you failed as a parent, when you find out your daughter is on the stripper pole or your son tells you that he thinks he's a woman are 2 of those moments.

11. Bandwagoner

So complete reversal on we don't make decisions based on outcomes right? That's what I thought. This new argument is equally as ridiculous because unless it isn't a doctor doing the reassignment surgery the surgeon is bound to do no harm.

given an existing problem, it may be better not to do something, or even to do nothing, than to risk causing more harm than good

fundamental part of being a doctor.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Common sense is really hard for some people.

I really don't care if an 35 year old guy thinks he's a pretty pink unicorn. As long as he's not spearing people with a horn on top of his head I seriously DGAF.

Others though, those that claim to want government out of their lives...seem to want government in their lives in many issues regarding sex and sexuality in general.

13. Bandwagoner

You don't give a **** if he offs himself? Do you give a **** if trans doctors are injecting testosterone in prepubescent girls or estrogen in boys before puberty changes them? That's a thing that happens.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is not a new argument. It's a response to your new argument about prescription drugs.

So you're going with the hippocratic oath as your ultimate argument. . . . I guess you'll have to debate all the doctors who took the oath and did the surgeries. I defer to their knowledge of their oath. Talk to 'em about breast implants while you're at it.

Breast Implant/Suicide Link Confirmed
    http://www.webmd.com/beauty/breast-implants/20070810/breast-implant-suicide-link-confirmed

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being transgender was a mental illness.
    Slavery was a natural right.
    Women who get upset or despondent or expressd a desire to vote were suffering from the mental illness of female hysteria. The proper treatment was for the doctor to apply a sex toy to her lady parts until orgasm.
    It was perfectly natural and Amurican to bar athiests from holding political office with constitutional provisions.
    Homesexuality was another mental illness, best treated by chemical castration.

BRING BACK THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

Or maybe some of us are a little more enlightened than ancient mouthbreathers? The reason things changed isn't because of "liberals" but because of scientific research on gender development showing that gender identity becomes hardwired in brain structures during pregnancy.

Wisdom of repugnance is a stupid concept for stupid people who are incapable of thinking outside of themselves and their lizard-brain emotions. I find you regressive mouthbreathers pretty damn disgusting. Doesn't mean I think you should have all your rights taken away, though it might make the world a better place.

#75 Ottomaton, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  16. fchowd0311

I think the type of sentiment that bobby has where we live in an environment that states that you failed as a father because your son is gay or transgender is more of a factor to transgenders committing suicide than voluntarily opting in for surgery in which they later regret.

17. Bandwagoner

New argument? Umm, you said we don't use suicide rates to make decisions in mental health care. I gave an example showing how r****ded that is. I'm going with outcome based medicine as my argument. Decisions made with data instead of accusations of bigotry.

18. Bandwagoner

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. It speaks more about the stigma place on mental illness than anything. Mentally ill people are very likely to commit suicide. You can't even suggest someone might be mentally ill instead of trans without being attacked. Even though the idea of it being possible to be trans flies in the face of gender being a social construct.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I never said that. Now it is clear you are making flat-out false statements.

I said: when doctors prescribe stuff to patients, a different standard applies.

20. fchowd0311

Well if you believe that transgender is a mental illness I would hope you realize that these mentally ill people also are shunned socially by a large segment of the population. You might think that gays are safe today. That discrimination agaisnt gays is over, but with transgender individuals? Not even close. That stigma has a role to play in suicide.