1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Father speaks with his new transgender son

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Both of these people are dealing with a lot. I'm not sure there is a scintilla of homophobia on the part of the father. This is way bigger than just that. This is the realization of decades of pain and deception and struggle and guilt.

I wouldn't want to trade places...

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The physical and mental model as two separate independent entity is wrong. The physical affects the mind and the mind affect the physical. Reality is neither just what you see physically nor what's in your mind.. it's both. A person reality is how they see the world - personal reality. Real reality is something you can't really get to at a personal level --- well, you can, but it's extremely difficult because our senses, as great as they are, are easily wrong and our mind, as advance as it is, doesn't typically process raw data, but categorize and interpret them through learnt experiences which directly shape how a person see reality.

Because it's so hard to see real reality, what people often confuse with reality is what's normal to society.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd say it is a mental illness/imbalance, but does that matter? It doesn't really hurt anyone, and it isn't something we can or need to fix.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I doubt it is easy for either of them.
    Imagine if this is his only child. His only son.
    Basically the end of his branch of the family tree

As stated in the show, he views it as a failure.
    Could be he failed to mold his son correctly in his mind
    or
    He failed to recognize his son's struggles and built a wall, real or imagined, from his son and his son could not come to him.

There maybe some Homophobia in mind
    but I think it is deeper than that
    Societal Expectations as well.
    I have heard that a person who cannot have children may feel less than
    or as a failure even if it is through no fault of their own .
    Perhaps this is similar . . . . .
    He could equate this to having raised a criminal
    In his mind, He raised a 'socially unacceptable' person . . . which society/he deem as a parental failure.

Basically. This Father is feeling like a failure.
    In his mind he is sure of it. It is his truth
    Just as his son is living his truth
    The Truth Hurts.

All that said. He showed up.
    He was there on a national television show.
    Hopefully, that says alot and is promising that they could forge
    some kind of a relationship.
    I wonder what the follow up would be like.

Rocket River

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think we have mental illnesses anymore.
    As long as it is not hurting anyone . . .. people let you do what you want

Rocket River

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Some are severe conditions that are harmful to the person and others.

Personally i think a lot of us are unbalanced in some form (I know I am).

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

+1 for liberals.

9. likestohypeguy

It kind of seems like cutting off your junk and pretending to be a woman is kind of defying reality. Or at least denying it.

Not for long. Have you seen those people who think they are animals? There's a leopard woman who now has spots all over her body, and did something permanent to her eyes and ears. I saw on tosh a guy who insists he's a lizard, tatood himself green, had all his teeth removed, and split the end of his tongue. Their families aren't skewered for expressing disapproval about that kind of mutilation, yet. It will probably be the next one though, that we have to not only tolerate, but celebrate. It's not enough for them that they can legally do so, and can't be discriminated against for it, but you have to like and encourage this stuff too.

1 person likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

Lizard man will be the next Time magazine cover, and get a bravest transreptile sportsman of the year hero trophy.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

By this argument, a surgical procedure to deal with a birth deformity is also denying reality.

There is nothing intrinsically right or wrong in changing one's external physical features.

1 person likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why are people so irked by victim-less acts? Let them ****ing be. Call them mentally ill all you want but you have pretty much zero defense on why people should care. What? Gay people can't produce offspring? So ****ing what? Is it really that harmful to society that 10 percent of the earth's population does NOT want to reproduce when we have millions of Honey Boo Boos pumping out 5+ children?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope OP doesn't have HBO because they just had a Sesame Street episode about how boys and girls can dress up however they want as long as it feels right.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're the same guy who said you preferred Nazis to Muslims. Having a black guy in charge really has done a number on some of you ****ers.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If one has a penis and literally denies having a penis, or if one does not have a vagina and believes they have a vagina, then yes I guess you can call that defying reality, or just being wrong, lying etc.

"Pretending to be like a women" which for the most part means projecting a personality, dressing a certain style, and having mannerism of that reflect the majority of women, is something totally different and unrelated to reality IMO.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

why did the dad agree to go on freaking dr. phil? he felt this strongly about it and was so ashamed, yet he put himself on national tv?

i know someone who is transgendered and their mom, dad, siblings and friends could not have been more supportive. as someone who knew them before and after i can honestly say they are so much happier and comfortable with themselves now. i saw it first-hand. their day-to-day life is better for the decision they made so how can anyone be against that? they are not hurting anyone.

body modification and the way society views its different forms is interesting.

i have over 50 hours worth of tattoo work and some would say that qualifies me as mentally ill.

i think people who get tons of plastic surgery are weird are there is something wrong with them...yet i have a bunch of tattoos...am i a hypocrite? yes, kind of.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBKu9OJ8Ltk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

We could learn a lot form this father.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NMroWnWIqs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Are you a father? Do you have a son?

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if that man was trying to pass himself off as a different race, rather than gender, he would be a pariah

instead, he's celebrated