1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fast Food Workers Strike 'For Our Dignity'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except you fail to mention that there aren't enough jobs for the people being outsourced. There are many qualified people but not enough jobs for them. So ultimately, once their unemployment runs out - what are they to do>

They are not lazy people who don't want to work. You have a very myopic view of what is happening in this country.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If everyone was like your friend and did the same thing then he wouldn't be making 200k. Because then his skills wouldn't be as valuable. We still need people to be fast food servers etc.

The Gaussian curve exists for a reason. Everyone can't get educated and make a lot of money because that education loses value as more people are educated. Just like everyone can't be a doctor. So many people tried to be lawyers and there is a glut in the market. Are you going to blame all these people for pursing law.?

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I've been curious about this for a while - as a small business owner, how would the minimum wage being raised to say..$16 (far less than the $22 suggested by Warren) affect the way you run your shop?

I'm not looking for a point to argue..just wanted to know from the point of view of an actual small business owner. Thanks.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

$15/hr for a job in fast food is beyond absurd. Should the minimum wage be raised, sure. But at some point people have to stop pointing the finger and know thier worth. Better yourself, aquire new skills, and seek new opportunities. Stop wasting time "protesting" and enroll in a trade school or JUCO.

I'm sure there are several exceptional and unfortunate situations among fast food workers, but as a whole I do not support this cause. No one should be fighting for a better wage while working the cashier at McDonalds. If you don't like your situation, IMPROVE IT. These people are begging for computers with touch screens to come in and take thier jobs.

And this is coming from a VERY left leaning liberal.

5. Major

Major Member

It would cause major problems if min wage doubled - wages are a pretty substantial portion of our total expenditures. We'd definitely have to raise prices, of course. How that would affect our business is impossible to tell because an immediate hike like that would cause all sorts of problems for so many other businesses too (competitors and unrelated), so I don't know how the landscape would shape out. Our suppliers would be raising prices on us, etc. I'm sure it would drive many businesses to close.

Realistically, government isn't crazy enough to double wages overnight. I think tying minimum wage to inflation is reasonable and a good thing, but I tend to oppose the stairstep type changes we seem to prefer, where we wait 10 years and then jump it up by $1.00 over a short period.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Do these workers not realize their skill set is easily replaceable and they have zero leverage?

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

thanks for the honesty - I'd like to see minimum wage tied to inflation as well - I agree that it is a very reasonable solution.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Inflation adjustment every year?

Rocket River

9. Commodore

Walter Williams on how the minimum wage hurts blacks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/85OIBOSJTwg?t=1m30s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

His first name is Beijing? Is it a way to put political pressure to raise the minimum wage.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If the minimum wage were lower then I could hire more people because consumer demand isn't what drives my need to hire.

Stop posting stupid drive by **** videos commodore.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Where are the robot fry cooks? If they all organize and strike, they'd have the same leverage as any other well-paid shift workers. The two hitches are they're too large a group to coordinate, and that young people who might still live at home can do the jobs; though not at the breakfast or lunch hour.

13. CometsWin

No it's your attitude that you did everything yourself but someone that wants to unionize and strike for better wages needs government "help". It's your refusal to admit that you, just like everyone else, are as much a product of your environment, that includes substantial government "help", as your incredible will to succeed and spectacular work ethic.

You emphasize the myth that financially successful people don't more often than not benefit from successful environments, infrastructure, and education but rather simply by their own hard work while financially unsuccessful people are so because they don't work hard and are lazy rather than the fact they had a far more inferior environment, infrastructure, and education.

You use anecdotal stories of the one in fifty or one in one hundred kids that overcame their environments to claim there's no problem but fail to address the 99 other kids that failed in that environment. Then you tout their failure as being lazy rather than being failed by society. Safe neighborhoods, a quality education, and a good infrastructure aren't "another program", they're basic services that government provides. It's the "help" some get that others don't and it matters, a lot.

I'm just going to ignore the rest of your post.

#133 CometsWin, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You underestimate the amount of people that are willing to work for anything as long as they have a job.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You don't replace them with robots..................

16. Commodore

Actually if they are unwilling to work for low enough (or if the wage floor is raised legally), at some point automated fry cooks become a more economical option.

It's why no one is hired to pump your gas for you. Not economical at the minimum wage to do so.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  18. CometsWin

Actually, regarding your graphic RR, I've read that in Australia the minimum wage varies according to age. They have a wage for people that are teens and a higher wage for older people. It's an interesting concept, not sure how well it works there.

Here's the link. Minimum wage ranges from $6.03 to $16 depending on your age.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx/

#138 CometsWin, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

are these folks being forced to work at fast food places?? If they can't survive on minimum wage, get a better job or a 2nd job? ***** and whine are what americans good at... oh and also go on strike and protest.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

16 bucks minimum = 7 bucks big mac and 10 bucks and up combo meals.

and dollar/value menu will be history for sure.