1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fast Food Workers Strike 'For Our Dignity'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Aug 29, 2013.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As far as I know, none of my clients do it that way (if they do, they are always busy enough to where their employees still get near 40 hours a week).

Widespread violation of law is commonplace in certain industries. Most people will just find a new job or live with it rather than file a complaint.

2. juicystream

Why isn't she finding these jobs?

3. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with you on the complication of the subject and I am empathetic with your brother's situation. Since you bring up an example of your brother, I would like to bring up mine. He also started as a mechanic having the same exact issue as your's did. He stayed on it and 15 yrs later, he has his own shop making high 6 figures per year.

There's a lot of validity with what Mike Rowe says. We are somehow programmed during our early ages (by our parents and teachers) that it would be best for us to earn a 4 year degree (spend a boatload of money). He is saying, that is not for everybody and you can make opportunities for yourself without spending that much time and money.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Raise the wage, but maybe start steering people towards a 12 hour workday and 60 hour workweek: but obviously with the requisite lunches and breaks.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

minimum wage should be raised, but not to $15. Also these people need to be responsible for themselves and make sure they can even take care of themselves before having children (for those that apply).

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Well obviously, you're a smart guy who could do something with that degree. What was her plan? To move to Chicago. Come on!

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Could be all kinds of performance, personality or mobility factors; but a government degree in one of the largest, most diplomatically and administratively engaged countries on the planet isn't a waste of any kind.

8. Major

Major Member

7%+ unemployment.

When people aren't willing to settle, they are criticized for not taking lower end jobs rather than being on welfare. When people take lesser jobs, they are criticized for not finding better jobs. (not saying you are doing this, but this seems to be the attitude of many here)

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or just do like poor people in the old days or overseas: don't indulge them, teach them manual labor early on and beat them like rugs when they whine.

10. Major

Major Member

Yes, because since that was one sentence in an article, that must be the entirety of her plan. :rolleyes:

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

From what I understand the turnover is extremely high so people do quit and try to find something else. A whole new staff pretty much every year. Doing that kind of work for that many hours is hard to sustain.

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It it was worth including, I'm sure they would've included it. Be real. I went to college. Most Poli Sci majors were kids that were just in school to make their parents proud. They spend most their nights partying their asses off and not worrying about studying or networking. Of course, there are exceptions, but if she's like any of the people I knew, she's working at Dunkin' Donuts because she didn't have a plan in college, nor did she establish the network of connections that differentiate the successful from the unsuccessful.

13. Major

Major Member

Sounds like you're just someone who has no interest in facts but feels a need to pass judgment on people you know nothing about.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This sounds a lot more anecdotal and stereotypical than real. It is true that a handful of specific concentrations teach standardized and marketable sets of specific skills and trades; but there are just as finite a number of those jobs: not every business is an engineering or accounting firm, not all of those make money, and hospitals make cutbacks all the time.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Real unemployment is between 9-14%. A lot of people are working part time when they would rather be working full time.

16. juicystream

Economy is certainly a factor. Certain degrees increase that risk (political science I'd consider to be in that category).

I would not recommend it if you want an easier path to financial success.

17. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but at the same time, if everyone chased the degrees to an easier path to financial success, those jobs wouldn't be available either and it would no longer be an easy path to financial success.

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The problem is that these are jobs with very little skills. We're not talking about people that have been journeymen steel workers or trained/certified electricians. If these folks went on strike, you could fire them all and replace with people that are exactly as good as they are at the job. That is why they make minimum wage.

Also, these jobs have high turnover. The folks making the absolute minimum wage are the newest or least skilled workers. Many workers make more than minimum wage when they are in the job a year or two, even at McDonalds.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'll concede that I was being anecdotal and stereotypical, but people have to realize what type of degree they're going for and have a plan. Obviously its going to be more difficult to find a good job with her degree than it would for somebody with a degree in accounting, or engineering. I mean, we all argue in the D&D about policy. Having an opinion and possessing knowledge of the political process isn't something that would typically require a degree. On the other hand, accounting majors and engineering majors paid to learn a skill that few others excel at. Hence, they're paid more and they're in higher demand. If a person doesn't have the sort of skills that employers pay for their employees to have, they're pretty much at the level of working for Dunkin' Donuts, even with a degree.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'm wondering if, on second glance, you'll see the irony in this statement.