1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football advice thread [2017-18]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YOLO, Aug 9, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ugh... seeing WAS and Cousins get destroyed by the Cowboys. While Doctson saved his play with a garbage TD catch, Cousins underperformed. Worse, they brought in a scrub to hand off the ball the last series. Brutal.

Serious question... would it make sense to grab McCown as a backup QB? I was thinking about doing that with Keenum since he has a an easy ROS but someone grabbed him before I could make the add. So... would McCown be a good add? I'd drop Darkwa.

Other available QBs include Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Blake Bortles. Bortles has an easy week 15 and 16, but TB probably has the easiest ROS.

#781 NewRoxFan, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Docston wasn't a garbage td. that game was still very much in play being down 10 w/ 11 minutes left in the game. wash defense couldn't get the ball back after that. Docston is their big red zone target. that's not changing. it's what hes there for.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Idk WAS ROS but a another qb would probably be a good idea. Streaming a favorable qb matchup has helped me in the playoffs many times. Especially if Cousins has a bad matchup against philly (I haven't looked tho)

4. NewRoxFan

Thanks. Cousins ROS: at LAC, home vs ARI, home vs DEN. Avoids the toughest D's (JAX, MIN) but unfortunately nothing asy.

Here are the ROS of available QBs:

McCown: at DEN, at NO, home vs LAC.
    Bortles: home vs SEA, Home vs HOU, at SF
    Winston: home vs DET, home vs ATL, at CAR
    Dalton: home vs CHI, at MIN, home vs DET

McCown is the best but with the toughest schedule. I guess I can also continue without a backup and patch together a stream (eg Dalton week 14, then Bortles weeks 15 and 16 if needed).

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bortles might be the play for a couple of weeks with all of the others having tough matchups. Watch this weekend and see who gets hot. Maybe pick one up before this weekend but be willing to drop if someone tickles your fancy with their performance this weekend. I would think Bortles is good for 2 or 3 TDs against HOU

NewRoxFan likes this.
  6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You guys can die on that Blake Bortles hill. I'd rather start almost any other QB and that includes Savage.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who do I start against Chosen Rosens? Picking my best flex bros seem like a dice toss.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Is Fournette still a thing or did it die along with Kareem Hunt?

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

who should I start for the flex position:

Matt Forte vs KC is questionable
    Aaron Jones vs TB, also questionable, so maybe I will play who is healthy
    Jarvis Landry vs DEN I dont trust him against Denver and having Cutler/Moore as his QB
    James White @ BUF, he isnt going to get the ball, so no
    or I could just drop James White and pickup Dontrelle Inman vs SF

Other players are injured: Cooper, Doug Martin.
    Thanks

10. CallMeTheDream

I hope you’re right, putting all my marbles in on Dede Westbrook to go in on the Colts D.

11. NewRoxFan

Moes... is there a QB on the list you would suggest? Again, McCown seems the best of the lot, but his schedule isn't that great. Would Winston be an risky but upside play?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I am of the opinion that schedule only matters if you're facing the truly elite. McCown has been a top 12 fantasy QB this year so sure, why not?

When looking for a QB I tend to gravitate toward the ones who are forced to throw TDs because the running game is not good at scoring TDs. Seattle is the best example of this. It forces the ball to be in Wilson's hands more often and means that he will also account for the largest percentage of his team's total offense.

The Bengals also seem woefully bad at rushing TDs, so Dalton is intriguing.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Excellent points and advice. I also have Mixon, so hoping the RB TD situation is improving in CIN. Guessing that also raises the value of McCown (the best of his RBs are really pass catchers) and to a lesser extent Winston (RB situation a mess, though more traditional runners).

Biggest worry about Dalton is the way he fails in prime time games. This Monday Night Football is safe since I already played Cousins... I'd have to make sure dalton isn't playing any prime time games ROS.

14. NewRoxFan

Wow... another dismal performance by Hunt. Another loss... backing into the playoffs. Worse, facing the decision to bench Hunt despite a plus matchup versus OAK.

Greg Olson owner dropped him today. I started ASJ who went 2/7/0 and so obviously TE help is needed. Worth a gamble he plays? Even one-legged Olson may be better than the TEs I have been playing (Fleener, Clay, ASJ).

#794 NewRoxFan, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have never really used him except for an occasional stream so I will admit I haven't endured much Bortles.

16. NewRoxFan

Bortles played well today.

17. CallMeTheDream

Very sh*tty day. Everything that could’ve went wrong did. Really Brandin Cooks with 2 receptions??? Rex Burkhead with BOTH rushing scores leaving Lewis with none? And of course the week Jameis gets back is the week I pick up the wrong TE. Howard with 1 rec, but Brate had 2 TD. And Baltimore of ALL teams dropping 44 on my Lions defense takes the cake lmao.

18. NewRoxFan

Tough week for many people. The former WRs continued to do poorly, the star QBs did mediocre to poor while the mediocre QBs did well. I almost went with DET again, but the one good move I made was dropping DET and adding LAC.

two questions... which TE should I go after... Brate vs DET, Njoku vs GB, Anderson vs SF, or stick with ASJ vs DEN?

Second... with the firing of the Giants head coach (and GM) and the news that Eli will start week 14, is it better to hang onto Shepard and Darkwa (versus DAL) or drop both and replace with Goodwin and Barber?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gronk suspended for week 14

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No solution for Gronk owners either.