1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy book series recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. nono

nono Member

I've read that series too. Pierce Brown is writing a new trilogy in the Red Rising universe which is set 10 years after the events in Morning Star. The first book will be released in August.

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I have kept seeing the Red Rising series pop up on lists of best recent stuff and flagged it to read. However, when I looked into it had a little concern with some Young Adult category tags. Sounds like that isn't really a thing and give it a try?

3. nono

nono Member

Was your concern that it'll be too childish ? It's a very dark and gruesome series. One of the darkest I've read. The story is great and the writing is really beautiful as well.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Stormlight Archive. It's going to be a 10 book series and it's currently on book 2 with book 3 being released in November. Unlike WoT or Malazan's, they aren't dense reads at all. Some of my favorite moments in reading fantasy books have happened in both of these books. Brandon Sanderson is amazing at writing those "hell yeah" and "holy ****" moments.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

winds of winter

RunninRaven likes this.
  6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I read the Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher not to long ago. It's a new series he started called the Cinder Spires. Basically people living in cities in the sky on things called spires and two nations are at war with each other and basically battle on airships. It's pretty good and characters are memorable. He also did the Codex Alera series...starts slow but is really really good(would love to see that one made into a movie one day). And he is best known for the Dresden Files

Deckard likes this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

Concern of hunger games or something crossed my mind. Didn't say it was reasonable.

Thanks for the confirmation and I'll likely read this next.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Got through the first Dresden book, half read, half audiobook. The voice in the audiobook really gives it that hardboiled feel. Hopefully there's enough material to get me through the next stormlight archive release in november.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think I'm on the 8th book now and I'm loving it. And I'm not a huge fan of the genre by any means.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am looking for a new series which is more like the dresden files and monster hunter. So a more modern world with supernatural beings in it. Does anybody have recommendations.

I get the feeling that I have read most interesting high and epic fantasy series. So I am going to expand my horizon.

11. mikus

mikus Member

Did you try the Grimnoir Trilogy by Larry Correia? It's set in alternate 1920's so not quite modern, but I enjoyed them even more than Monster Hunter(I loved the Monster Hunter series).

arno_ed likes this.
  12. arno_ed

Thanks. I haven't tried any of these type of books.

Are the dresden files stand alone books, or is it part of a larger overall story (like most fantasy series)? And monster hunter international. Both series are not finished are they? I do not like to start a series which is one large story if I it is not finished yeat (like I had to with wheel of time or SoFaI).

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It picks up in book 3. Stick it out. Trust me.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The Dresden books begin as episodic stories. As time goes on, a larger story arch begins to unfold, and stories begin to crossover. Honestly one of the best and most fun crossover stories I've read. The first 2 books are kind of pedestrian, though. Forge ahead. (for what it's worth, he was going for kind of a gritty private investigator/noir feel early on. It begins to fade as time goes on)

arno_ed likes this.
  15. mikus

mikus Member

Grimnoir Trilogy is finished. Dresden files currently has 15 books and the plan is to have around 20 then wrap it up with some kind of trilogy finale. Monster Hunter International is not yet finished but the author is working towards some kind of conclusion, I believe.

arno_ed likes this.
  16. Kilgore Trout

Thanks again for confirming it wasn't type I was worried about. Finished Red Rising in a couple of nights and seriously enjoyed it and now on to next one.

huypham likes this.
  17. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

Have you guys checked out Michael Sullivan Riyara series? He is excellent too.

18. arno_ed

Yes I really liked it. It is funny. Especially the interactions between the Main 2 guys.

19. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

His Riyara Chronicles are good too.

I don't like the 2nd and 3rd books much but Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is amazing.

20. arno_ed

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out.

Altough I really do not like Prequels...